“Terrible - Just Terrible!” 1 of 5 stars

Camelot House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   18 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UL, England   |
Ranked #458 of 526 London B&B and Inns
hernando
“Terrible - Just Terrible!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

We spent 100 pounds per night ($200 Cdn) for a filthy rat trap of a hotel. It was such a disgusting hole, I don'tk now how I could ever fully describe it fittingly. It looked like the carpeting had been reused from another building. It was totally filthy. There were different colours every 3-4 feet and there were even large holes beneath the carpeting. Our bed frame had been made out of a couple of pieces of wood that was actually room panelling so not structurally safe (least of our concerns) The shower flooded the entire bathroom which was also filthy. No toilet seat which actually became a problem as there was no place to put toiletries. We had to take a drawer out of a delapilated cabinet to hold our shampoo etc. Noise all night long from what appeared to be the Taliban like people who ran the place. Women shouting and kids crying all night long. I have never written a review before as we are pretty easy going and have traveled extensively throughout the world and understand cultural differences but this was not cultural it was neglect and accumulated filth from people who couldn't have cared less about it's customers. Long story short - run, don't walk from this place!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Bashir1, Public Relations Manager at Camelot House Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to us and informing us of our short comings.
We respect what you say but please take into the consideration the following before making such remarks which turn out to be fruitless in the future.
i.e. family establishment hotel running for the past 15 years, we haven't taken a complete refurbishment for the hotel which has been completed 28th Feb' 10. I believe that most of the reviews that were less charming were directly due to the fact - we were upgrading our hotel, we now challenge anyone to come and to make such reviews that have been presented to us in the past. Please note that this hotel has been joined to Cecil-Court hotel and surprisingly the reviews for that are 60% better than at Ventures. How is that possible that the reviews can be different from the right side of the hotel to the left hand side of the hotel.

It is also a fact that 90% of our customers who are more than satisfied did not actually take the time to write to Trip Advisor, but it is always the case that a dis-satisfied customer will make himself known to everyone possible. i.e. once we have taken the remudal action to rectify the 10% remarks, this is not reflected on the tripadvisor or any other source of reviews.

Now that we have taken the necessary steps to project a warm, friendly affordable accommodation in Central London, we hope that the reviews of the customers wil change accordingly.

Looking forward to a bright future!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

This hotel seems a quaint little family run place in the advert. It is not. My sister and I stayed there this month for two nights. Our room did not look like the rooms advertised on the hotel web site.

On arrival, there were 4 men siting in the very small foyer/reception area. None seemed to speak much English, although the guy on reception did seem to speak an acceptable amount of English. Our room was in the basement, it was tiny, dark, L shaped with a en -suite shower room. We were next to a disused dining room, that had a pile of laundry and a used mattress on the floor. The door into the hotel back yard was open throughout the day and night. I did close and lock it but it was opened again. The yard was not open to the street, but it didn't feel safe with the door open 24 hours a day. Our view was of another laundry room across the yard, which was tiny. Fire instructions were non-existent in the room.

On the morning of breakfast, we were told to go "next door, next door". Breakfast was in a tiny basement room in a hotel two doors up the road! There were only Middle Eastern men sitting in this room. The tables were arranged canteen style, with plastic wipe clean table cloths. More like a "greasy spoon" than a London Hotel. There was a friendly lady serving the breakfast. In fact, she was the only female we saw at the hotel (s) over the three days. Apart from this lady, who we saw once, the hotel staff seemed dis-interested. We did not eat there again as my sister felt uncomfortable in the "Middle Eastern male" dominated hotel. We basically only slept in the room as we could not wait to get out of there in the mornings.

The room itself was clean, although not tastefully decorated. The stairway and hallway smelled damp. The net curtains needed a wash. We did ask for another room, to be told that there were none available.

I paid £150 for two nights at this hotel. In future, I will pay a little extra to stay at one of the major hotel chains in order to get what is advertised. Stay at the Camelot Hotel, only if it is the best you can afford and if you only want a place to sleep. Although, I am sure that you will find somewhere better if you look further.

Looking forward to a bright future!!!
Southampton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

Where do i begin????

I booked this 'hotel' 4 weeks in advance directly with the owners via their website. We only booked to stay one night (new years eve) and we are SO lucky that it was only the one night because our expereince was absolutely terrible!!

We arrived at the 'hotel' at 4pm to be told that our room was in a neighbouring 'hotel' that the owner also owned. I was immediately concerned- especially when the neighbouring 'hotel' looked even more awful than the first! We went up to the room and were faced with a disgusting state of a room. The bathroom was filthy and the carpet looked as though it had not seen a vacuum cleaner in months, the walls had strange brown marks all over them, THE NET CURTAIN WAS DARK BROWN!!! and the room was barely big enough for one person let alone two!!!
I immediately complained about the room- only to be told that there were no other rooms available due to it being New Years Eve.
I had also booked 4 of my friends to stay at this 'hotel' for the same night so demanded to see their rooms. The other rooms were still very cramped and not particularly clean, but they were alot better than our room, so i let the matter side (being as it was New Years Eve and we were in the party spirit). Also the bed sheets were clean in all three rooms so to my mind they could be slept in- (although the state of our room made my skin crawl the whole time we were there).
My friends arrived at 6pm to check into their rooms. However one of my friends was given a different room to the one i had been shown earlier!!! The room was much worse than the first. Not only was it VERY dirty and smelly. It had a soaking wet floor!!!!!!!
We immediately complained... AGAIN!!!!!! Only to be told that it was a problem that had been fixed and they would dry it in time for when we returned that night. We were not satisfied with this answer but had no option other than to except their explanation and enjoy our evening.
After a nice New Year celebration we returned to the hotel at 4am. As my friends entered their room I could not believe my eyes......... there was water leaking from the room above, through the light fitting and onto the bed and floor. The room was completly flooded!!!!!!
AGAIN we complained and AGAIN we were faced with an extremely rude, unhelpful response. We were given the 'option' to get a refund and stay somewhere else...... but it was 4am on New Years Day and this was NOT a viable option. So my friends stayed in the room on the one remaining single bed that wasn't soaking wet!
The next day we checked out and complained to the owner about all the trouble we had had, and asked for a refund. He was extremely rude to us and seemed more worried about the £75 he would be losing if he refunded the room price, than our safety- the room was a death trap!!!!! There could easily have been a fire. But he was not prepared to accept responsibility. His argument was that if we had vacated the room at 4am then it could have been let to someone else and then he wouldn't be out of pocket!!!!!!! UNBELIEVABLE BUT TRUE!!!!!
Eventually after a heated argument in the 'hotel' reception he gave my friends JUST HALF their money back! It was better than nothing but not enough to compensate a terrible start to the New Year!!!!!
DO NOT STAY HERE AT ANY COSTS- CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NON-EXISTENT AND THEY COULDN'T CARE LESS ABOUT CUSTOMER SATISFATION!!!!!!!

• Liked — Leaving!!! And having a bloody long shower when i got home!!!
  • Disliked — Everything!!!! More like a slum than a 'hotel'
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2007

We had stayed at this hotel many times before and it was always wonderful - quaint, spotless and charming. So we were looking forward to our trip back. However, it was a disgrace. The room was creeping with insects (all over the furniture, kettle, cups, bathroom, sheets etc.). Most of the staff were extremely unfriendly!! We were given one towel and when we requested a second towel, the receptionist barked at us, and said there was only one towel for each person or else there would not be enough for everyone. There was a mousetrap in the bathroom cupboard. The service was a disgrace. The carpet was thick with dust ..... and I spent the entire time with my skin crawling. We do not generally complain but please take my advice and DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed June 2006
Amsterdam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2007

The only positive thing is that it seems to be clean (beside the an old carpet)

The hotel/room has nothing to do with the web-site...

Is 10 minute from Marble Arch, and anyway the whole area is not so nice so I first advice to look for hotel somewhere else

The boys at the reception started to invent some story that was not possible to pay with credit card because of fees ...bla..bla..bla.
At the end I paid anyway with the credit card...

For the breakfast you have to go to hotel close by, downstair in some
kind on basement where a chinese girl fries something.

It is ok if you stay for 1/2 nights and only to sleep some hours or if you are desperate. I have never been to a youth hostel but I think
that, if you are really looking for a cheap accomodation, it is almost the same!!

Never again!

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2007

I was on a very limited budget for my trip to London, and after alot of searching I ran into this hotel on some travel site i'd never heard of before. It was alot cheaper than anything else with a location like this, so I booked.

I must say I was not only put-off , but almost frightened when I first arrived at the hotel. There was no one sitting at the front desk and we had to stand around until a worker ( apparently watching us by camera from the adjacent building) came in. The key to my room they gave me was on a humungous keychain and they informed me that i had to leave the key at the front desk whenever i left the hotel, i couldnt take it with me.

The place was like a bed and breakfast, but a dingy one. I never saw any other workers besides the guy who sometimes sat at the front desk and sometimes wandered out of the building. It seemed unprofessional to say the least and i wondered if my posessions or even my safety were at risk here.

As it turned out, everything was fine. Not only was my stuff fine, but they even moved everything for me into a better room halfway through my stay upon request. I became friendly with the 2 or 3 different workers who sat at the front desk throughout my stay, they helped in any way they could. The condition of the place wasn't immaculate, but nothing was dirty. The bathroom/shower was adequate and the bed was completely clean & comfortable. My room was quiet and had a tv with a basic cable. I only used the room to sleep and shower, and it served its purpose.

If youre able to stay somewhere else, do it. Youll probably be more comfortable and at ease. however, If youre just a young budget traveler like me riding on your last penny, this place can do the trick.

• Liked — cheap, fairly good location, kind staff
  • Disliked — in poor shape, not a conventional hotel
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2006

Since 1999 I have stayed at this hotel 4 times. It was owned and run by a group of people who understood that they had a quaint, charming, inexpensive retreat for travelers I felt at home on my initial visit and each subsequent trip.

When I was again traveling to London on holiday, I was excited to be able to stay there again and I even asked for the room I had stayed in on my first trip. I booked 3 months in advance.

When I walked into reception, I was immediately troubled. It got worse. The reception clerk asked that I prepay, IN CASH, my entire 6 day stay. He asked that I go across the street to the bank ATM, at 10:00 pm in the evening, and get the cash. I talked him in to letting me check in based on the credit card I'd given when I made the reservation.

I got to the room and quaint was now simply dirty. The curtains were dirty, the bathroom - every corner was filthy. The toilet was dirty. I found dark curly hair all over the room. I had to stay in the room that night and the only way I could was because the sheets were clean.

I went downstairs for my full English Breakfast and was told that Sunday was Continental Breakfast Day. Nothing was posted to this effect of course.

When I was checking out the front desk clerk was amazed that I wanted to leave. He wanted to move me to another room, which I had no reason to expect would be any better. They asked what was wrong with the room and I said it was dirty. I refused to go into the details but offered to pay cash for the one night I spent. They attempted to tell me that I had a 6 day reservation and would charge my card as such, I said that every other hotel in the area had "No Vacancies" and they would rebook within 4 hours.

Because it was July, the entire town seemed to be booked. I walked up and down the street and to adjacent streets looking for a hotel. I found another hotel for 2 days and my final hotel for the remaining 3 days.

It was an experience that I never want to repeat.

• Liked — Locaton
  • Disliked — It was dirty
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not stay at thie hotel.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Camelot House Hotel? Share your experiences!