“A dirty, run-down disappointment” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Camden Lock Hotel

Save Saved
You added Camden Lock Hotel to your Saves list
Camden Lock Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   89 Chalk Farm Road, London NW1 8AR, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Ranked #575 of 1,071 hotels in London
Berkshire
“A dirty, run-down disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The hotel didn't look to bad in the photos on their website and there appeared to be no bad reviews.

On arriving I knew it would be bad news because the place was very grubby and they asked us to pay BEFORE we leave.

We hadn't even got to our room and there was litter left on window sills, the cleaners had thrown all of the dirty sheets into the hall way (which we had to step over) and there was a general pungent odour.

The room its self was dirty, there was blood on the duvet, the bathroom mirror was broken and there were foot prints and bogeys on the wall.

When we left to visit the round-house the lady on reception asked us to leave our key: which we refused to do, only to be told "Well we have a master key anyway so we can still get in your room if we need to".... I still have no idea why she felt the need to tell us that but I made sure I left no valuables in the room!

Our room was on the 3rd floor and I was quite shocked to see they were using the fire escape stair-well as a storage area for cleaning supplies and fresh linen so in the event of a fire you would find it extremely difficult to get down the stairs!

And to top it all off the bed was knackered and now I've got a back ache.

I'd have been better of setting the £100 the room cost on fi

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

268 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We booked this hotel as we where going to a gig in The Jazz Cafe and it was within walking distance, however it wasn't the best.
The pros-location, it is at the edge of Camden Town, close to subway stations and adjecent to The Roundhouse, Camden Market and Camden Town. The breakfast which is served in the cafe attached to the hotel was also excellent and a great full English breakfast was included in our room price. The linen, towels and bathroom clean.
The cons-The rooms was tired and shabby with various dubious stains on the carpets, the plumbing is so noisy, from 5am all you heard was toilets flushing and showers running "loudly".
Overall if you are looking for a cheap room to bed down for the night, this is the place for you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Saltford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed on a Friday night as I was meeting friends to see a gig at The Roundhouse. For this purpose the hotel is perfect, however it's not the place for a romantic weekend. The building is a little tied although the room was fine. It was a little small but hay, that's London for you. It was very clean. One of the windows didn't close perfectly so noise was a bit of an issue especially the bin men at 6am. As it happened I had to be up early. The staff were good, receptionist excellent and very helpful. I din't try the food as I was off early. Perfect as a crash pad but very basic and not really suitable for a break. It wasn't cheap too but again for the location it couldn't be better. It was so close I din't even take my coat with me!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I was visiting Camden again, for a gig and to visit friends from the area and of course to take in the exciting, colourful market. And once again I was not dissapointed. I have probably been going to this area for 15yrs or so and it never seizes to amaze.

We chose The Camden Lock Hotel (again!). It was perfect for our needs, hospitable staff, clean rooms, showers, comfy bed and 10min walk to everything that is good about Camden.

Now the cost of the rooms here are fairly affordable, which is the allure, so don't expect 5* service or accommodation. But for what you pay it's ideal. See you again soon Camden.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Southport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

The hotel offers good value for those on a budget. The staff are friendly and helpful and I enjoyed the breakfast downstairs in the cafe. My concern (and the reason why i will not be staying there again) is that there was no lift and I really struggled with the stairs being unfit with a heavy bag. That said, cannot fault the value, the cleanliness and the friendliness. If you're on a budget and fitter than me this is the place!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Really welcoming and efficient staff. Great room, clean and perfectly functional. At this price we weren't expecting too much and we were very pleasantly surprised. Even had tea coffee making facilities and toiletries and TV in room. Breakfast at £5 was also great value and served in really funky cafe downstairs which was nothing like the usual anonymous bland hotel dining room! Can't recommend highly enough, location perfect for Camden markets and the Roundhouse.

• Stayed February 2013
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed here for one night as I was attending an event nearby. The room I received was on the second floor and looked like it had recently been refurbished. Although it was quite small is was adequate for my needs and very clean. Nice comfortable bed and a good hot shower, the most important things to me in a hotel room.
The staff were very friendly and the inclusive breakfast in the coffee shop attached was wonderful!. The only negative points were that in the bathroom it was an energy saving bulb therefore very dark which made it difficult for me to see to put on make up and the noise of the traffic which goes on almost all night...but it is London!...and I would use the hotel again if in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Camden Lock Hotel? Share your experiences!