“Short and simple” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #194 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Short and simple”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here in April celebrating my birthday and our anniversary. Before getting to the hotel we emailed ahead to request a double room for our special occassion and quickly received a reply from a friendly staff member.
To our surprise/delight when we arrived we were upgraded to an executive room which was beyond words! Spacious, elegant and beautiful are just a few!
The staff were all so friendly from the receptionst at check-in to the cleaners in the hallway and we can't thank them enough. It's those small touches that make a difference.
It's a lovely hotel and easy to get to from Shadwell station - just a 5 minute walk through the market.
The only down side to our stay was a long walk to find a restaurant, although there are many take-away places and cafes around so you won't go hungry!
I would highly recommend for a short stay away and I would most definitely return in an instant. Thankyou to everyone there for giving us such a memorable stay.

• Stayed April 2013
James D, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Commercial Road, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments following your weekend stay with us. I was pleased to read we were able to help make your birthday that little bit more special. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Alnwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Excellent hotel and service from all staff at this hotel. For any UK Senior Citizens the No 15 bus runs from outside the hotel all the way to Regent St - for free with your bus pass!! Also get to Kings Cross with one change!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
James D, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Commercial Road, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments regarding your last stay with us. I was very pleased to read you had excellent service from the team and found the hotel to your liking. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel the next time you are in London.
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed here on business and it isn't in an ideal location - need to understand that it is out of the city, and not a lot around to eat other than fast food/kebab places

Rooms were nice - and very quiet. Found the bed nice - pillows were OK, but found the "soft" and "hard" tags that were put on them meaningless. Might as well take that gimmick away - as all were pretty much the same, and typical "old" hotel pillows

Breakfast was included - and was very friendly service. Fast service which was exactly what was needed. Only used the bar once - and that was also very friendly

Good place to stay - just need to understand that it is out of the way

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your stay with us. I was very pleased to note you found the hotel a good place to stay and the breakfast was just what you needed in the morning. I will investigate your comment regarding the pillows as there should be a clear difference with the hard and soft pillows. Thank you for bring this to my attention. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed here for a two night stay with the families priority points. Amazing hotel considering the little points you pay in comparison to other HI hotels we have stayed in, in London.

The hotel is not in the nicest area of London but this should not out you off. After all hotels are a base and you spend little time in them. The DLR is only round the corner giving you direct access to bank UG where you can access all lines.

The hotel rooms are so comfy and spacious (club room) and you get the perfect night sleep

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding your last stay. I was very pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

First time staying at this Holiday Inn and I wasn't disappointed.

As I am a priority club member on this occasion I stayed on a reward night.

My husband and I were warmly greeted and we were treated exceptionally by the reception desk. We had stayed elsewhere the night before and arrived at 11.30 expecting to just leave our bags with the concierge and check in later. Our room was made available immediately and we were allocated room 322 which was an executive room. It was huge!

It's a shame the location wasn't a bit more central but it was only a 10 min or so walk to Whitechapel underground. Unfortunately it did rain so made the walk less appealing.

Our check out was just as smooth and the sun was shining so we walked to Liverpool Street station via Pettycoat Lane Market which took about half an hour and 1.3 miles.

I would stay here again. Thank you.

• Stayed April 2013
James D, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Commercial Road, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments following your last stay with us here at Holiday Inn London Commercial Road. I was very pleased to read you experienced a very warm welcome and had an enjoyable stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

First, the staff - amazing, just lovely. From check in, to breakfast to housekeeping the staff go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. We travelled from Canada and all three rooms of us were able to check in early which was a blessing since we were exhausted and would have paid buckets for the privilege. The shower is really a surprise for the UK, Lot's of hot water & pressure, very nice. As I have very long hair I often find hotel showers troublesome but not this one, kudos. Breakfast is wonderful and sufficient to take you through to dinner if necessary but hey why not stop at a pub for lunch? We often had coffee at the Starbucks in the lounge area and though we found it unstaffed occasionally one one always appeared quickly if requested (seems they may do double duty at night?). Though indeed there are some odd noises in the hotel, it's a hotel not my house where I am used to its noises. Huge rooms for London, nicely laid out, and outstanding staff. Well done HI. Can you fix the tube so it runs on weekends in the area? Then it would be perfect!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments and taking the time to pass them on. I was very pleased to read you found the team here to be amazing. I know the team will take great pride in that as they are all very customer focused and its always nice to know when we are doing a good job.

Im not sure I will be able to do much with getting the tubes to run over the weekend, however they are doing upgrade works all over the network and the services do change week to week.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Lets start with the positive - good location, only a short walk from Whitechapel tube station. New modern holiday built and opened around he same time as the one at Stratford for the Olympics. Very pleasant welcome with staff explaining the hotel and facilities. Good security in that you need to use your room key to activate the lift.

Rooms large enough, clean and well looked after. Bathroom very pleasant with a good shower, works well powerful and hot water plentiful.

Evening meal - average, lots of things not available and what was available not worth writing home about. However, this I fear is standard for most hotels now. Serving staff pleasant and accommodating but the manager not up to speed on what was / was not available. Accept that food is a very personal choice so do not let this put you off, and there are loads of eateries in the area.

Breakfast much much better - good selection, presented well, fresh and not rushed.

I would stay at this hotel again and give top marks to staff and accommodation but the evening meal did seem to let them down.

Room Tip: The higher the better