“A fantastic hotel in a rather shabby neighborhood..” 4 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #194 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Seoul, South Korea
“A fantastic hotel in a rather shabby neighborhood..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Me and my husband had 3 nights stay... Very welcoming staff, nice n clean room, eveeything was very new.. However the neighborhood was not good n gives u a bit of uncomfortable feeling when u walk around at night.. Overall a great value for money in London. I would come back to this hotel in my next trip to London.

• Stayed October 2012
James D, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Commercial Road, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
As General Manager for the Holiday Inn London Commercial Road I was very pleased to read your comments on your stay and the welcoming team. Its always nice to read feedback from our guests so thank you for taking the time to pass this on.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Taunton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This is a new hotel which has been built to a very high standard. Very comfortable, spacious and clean rooms with smart modern decor. Very clean. An exceptionally comfortable bed and quiet surroundings gave us a great night's sleep. Staff were very welcoming and helpful. A very relaxing and enjoyable weekend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your views of your last stay with us here at Holiday Inn London Commercial Road. It was a pleasure to read your comments and to know you enjoyed all areas of your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

i complained about this hotel on the survey, the manager said he would contact me "to rectify the problem". we were there on the 15th September, overnight. we were not offered breakfast discount vouchers, there are other complaints . i am still waiting a reply after sending my mobile number (20/10/2012) .hotels like this are the reason that i have joined tripadvisor, this site has helped me find so many good places.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
James D, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Commercial Road, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and I know my colleague has spoken direct with you so I wont go into too much detail here however I can assure you we took your feedback very seriously when we first received it and emailed you directly requesting a phone number to discuss the matter. Unfortunately we did not receive the first email you sent with your contact details only the second one you sent on the 20th October.

Please accept my apologies, both for your initial challenge and also if you felt we did not care about your satisfaction however I can assure you this could not be further from the truth. I hope you saw this when we finally where able to talk direct with you.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Upon arrival of the hotel we were a bit overwhelmed about how local the area was, but it was fine and something we am used coming from Birmingham. We didn't have to walk far from the tube stop which was Shadwell DLR, as soon as you came out from the tube station you turn right and walk straight through the 'Watney Markets' square it was a Saturday so the local market was on and consisted of mainly Bangladeshi, Pakistani and African stores and produce we even had a browse and the locals are not fazed by outsiders they look at you as part of London.

We had to cross a busy road to get to the hotel, lots of buses stop on Commercial Road so there is a good transport into city there.. We were greeted warmly by reception staff and we only paid £119 due to being a member of a workers union I got a discount, although check in was quite swift we were not happy about paying a retainer fee of £30 in case of any damage caused during our stay in our room...I didn't really challenge why we had to pay and after I questioned about this 'retainer fee deposit' she did say it would be returned back to us within 5 working days....We thought it was rather strange so instead of your hotel stay being a certain price ensure you add on a extra £30.

Unfortunately our stay didn't include breakfast - but as we were checking in the lady at reception said we could buy breakfast (in advance) for £10pp if we leave it until the morning it will cost us £15pp, we decided against it in the end because we wouldn't wake up in time anyways (especially being hit with the £30 retainer deposit).

The hotels is very secure inside and cosy, we were on the third floor and corridors were cosy too. When we entered our room it was very airy and cosy, the decor was modern and fresh and funky furnishings and lighting. Although the bathroom was a shower only(not a bathtub not sure if you have to request or its only available in the executive rooms) it was nice and clean and airy too. There was a minibar but drinks were way overpriced £2.50 for a can of Pepsi I just used it to store my juice. They had teas and coffees but no little biccies all hotels I have been in have little biccies anyways, but they did have wine glasses.

The hotel called us one of their executive taxi service they were excellent and a credit to the hotel, bit pricey but it beats clobbering around in your heels trying to get to an event by tube and they picked up too prompt and polite.

The bed was fantastic and comfy when I laid down on it I was out like a light. Lovely hot water in shower lots of space for storage of toiletries in bathroom, they also had a proper iron and ironing board and proper clothes hangers in the wardrobe and a safe if you wanted to lock away your laptop etc

Overall no complaints just the 'retainer deposit fee' would stay again but would probably search for something more central and use Holiday Inn Commercial Inn as a second choice.

Room Tip: We were in room 319 the view out window was rubbish - we weren't really bothered but some rooms...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments from your last stay with us here at Holiday Inn London Commercial Road. As the General Manager responsible for the hotel I was pleased to note that overall you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel meet many of your expectations.

In relation to the "retainer deposit fee" you mention I assume you are referring to the pre-authorisation we make to allow our guests to charge additional items to their room such as dinner in restaurant or drinks at the bar. We try to take a minimal amount and this is released immediately on check out if not used to pay for any out standing charges. In fact we do not actual remove any money from guests accounts, it more ring fences the amount. Unfortunately it can take up to 5 days to appear back in peoples accounts. This is not some thing we are in control of as the different banks control this. We advise up to 5 days as this seems to be correct for most banks. This process of taking pre-authorisations on guest cards at the check in stage is a process all hotels follow regardless of chain or location.

You also make reference to the fact your room only had a walk in shower. Over 50% of our rooms do have baths with shower and can be requested if required. The remainder of the rooms do have the large walk in shower you experienced.

Once again thank you for taking the time to feedback to us and I look forward to welcoming your back to the hotel in the near future.
wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Lovely hotel very new and staff very informative, only two negatives for me really. being upgraded to the executive floor due to priority club was great as we didn't expect it on a stay we used points for as we haven't in the past. The room was lovely high ceilings very clean and very comfortable but there was what can only be described as a vent above the bathroom door and over the 3nights there the noise coming from it was dreadful kept waking me up through the night on occasions. The other negative for me is its location quite easy to get to central from the hotel its just not much going on in the local area wether it be for a drink or food. I do wonder if this was just purpose built for the olympics as it's quite close to stratford.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your experience of the Holiday Inn London Commercial Road. I was pleased to note you found the hotel overall very comfortable and the team informative. I will follow up on the point you raised regarding the noise from the vent within your room. As you noted we are a new hotel only opening in July 2012 and are still finding a few issues as the building settles and gets regular usage.

In terms of things to do locally, Brick Lane is only a 15 minute walk from the hotel which offers a large number of award winning Indian restaurants, the famous East End Blind Beggar's Pub is a short 5 minute walk away, a favorite haunt of the Kray Twins where they shot George Cornell. Also a 10 minute ride on the Docklands Light Railway to Canary Wharf offers a large selection of restaurants and bars.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope with this additional information you will consider using the Holiday Inn London Commercial Road in the future.
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My mother and I stayed at this location for 3 night on our recent stay in London. I cannot say enough nice things about the hotel and the Staff!! Every single employee we came across was absolutely wonderful and a delight dealing with. I would love to give extra attention to Joanna and Abdul at the front desk who went ABOVE and BEYOND more than once for us. I would also like to show my appreciation for Nicole and Balwant in the resturant, once again excellent service and wonderful people. I would not hesitate to book another stay at this hotel for any upcoming trips I have to London. The hotel its self is brand new and very clean and well kept. It is a short walk to the subway and not once did we feel "unsafe" in the area. Best Holiday Inn Ive stayed at to date!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
James D, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Commercial Road, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to feedback on your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn London Commercial Road. As General Manager I was pleased to read that overall you had a very enjoyable stay and the team here at the hotel made your stay memorable. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in London.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed here from the 26th - 28th of July and again 31st July to 5th of August for the Olympics. We planned a last minute trip and was able to find this hotel and use my points for the entire stay and at only 15,000 points a night! Location was perfect for events at the Olympic Park and other venues, as well as getting into central London for theatre, shopping, etc. with two tube stops, White Chapel and Shadwell within a 5 minute walk of the Hotel. Arrived very early the first day from a transatlantic flight and they were very will and helpful in having my room ready! Very eclectic area, which I loved about it and was very nice to stay in a new area of London that I have not stayed in. Front desk crew were fantastic and always very friendly and helpful when we came in at all hours of the night. Only compliant I have was that there was a fire drill the night of the 27th around 3-4 am, which of course for most of the guests, was actually just as they were coming back from being out all night. But it was handled fine and back to our rooms. Rooms were very large with one King bed, we had been upgraded to an executive level room, a very nice bathroom and our room had a view of London Hopsital (which is really not much of a view, but it was that or the street, since that were the only views.) I cannot speak to the food, since we did not eat at the restaurant at all, but choose to visit the local area for ethnic foods. The hotel is on a moderately busy street, with ample bus routes/stops to get into central London and further east. By the White Chapel tube station in particular there are a lot of choices for food and drink.

For the price, and nice new facilities, this is my new choice for when I come back to London, which I already am planning a trip for early next year.

No complaints whatsoever about this new gem of a hotel!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stays here at the Holiday Inn London Commercial Road. As General Manager I was very pleased to note you enjoyed your overall experience of the hotel and East London and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Been to Holiday Inn London - Commercial Road? Share your experiences!