“The worst service I have come across.” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #11,266 of 17,052 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Affectionately known as the Dog, The Crown and Greyhound in Dulwich Village is a warm and welcoming oasis away from the fast lane of London life. The pub was once two: in the olden days the Crown served the gentry, while the Greyhound housed the labourers. Today there's no such nonsense; the whole community comes together under one roof to enjoy our rather tasty range of pub food, drink and entertainment.
London, United Kingdom
“The worst service I have come across.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I have been here before and thought it had changed, it hasn't. Firstly if you eat outside you have to order from the bar which is 6ft deep with people trying to order drinks. I decided to eat in, after passing through the reception the girl pointed at a table indicating that was yours after sitting down waiting 15 min to be served I had to physically grab the attention of a waitress I asked her how long would a roast take she apologised and said 1 hour !! I could see around me the number of complaints from other people waiting for their meal . I and my partner walked out . This is the worst pub I have set foot in, I really can't understand why anyone would go here unless they are local, its overpriced the kitchen is to small to cook for demand and the waiters and waitress are poorly trained .

“never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Not sure where to start! The waitress appeared to be deaf which led to us having to repeat our order several times before she finally got it right. Our drinks (coke & orange juice so not complicated) took about 10 minutes to arrive and our water never arrived at all. The starter (cous cous, halloumi & avocado) was ok, but only contained 3 pieces of avocado, each the size of a five pence piece.
Whilst we were eating the 'chef' knocked some chips over the serving counter onto the floor of the pub. They stayed on the floor for 15 minutes while the deaf waitress and another bloke ignored them, kicked them in various directions and trod them into the floor. eventually the waitress swept them up but not until they had been distributed over a wide area.
We ordered steak, one rare and one medium rare. The medium rare arrived looking like a piece of old leather and the rare wasn't much better. It wasn't even the same level of overcookedness all the way through whuich i suppose is an art in itself. We complained and were told they would provide new ones. Nothing in the way of sincere apology & no suggestion that we might like another form of recompense. When the second steaks arrived they were not much better but at least it was possible to tell they were once alive.
We were offered a free dessert but at that point preferred to beat a hasty retreat.
The toilets were shocking, 2 of the 3 toliets in the ladies had no paper, in the one that did the paper dispenser was empty and it was all over the floor. One toliet was also missing a seat.
DO NOT EAT HERE!!!!

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“The reviews below all seem true : (”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Decided to ignore all the reviews here and give it a shot. Pub is beautiful looking, and the range of beers is good too. But there were too many indications that all the reviews below are spot on.

Lots of people in, all looking forlornly at the kitchen.

There was one waitress on duty for the whole pub (I can believe she didn't have time to do a booking when she's trying to manage all those covers, not her at fault here), and lots of food (including prawns!) sitting for at least 15 minutes under the hot lights (from the time we arrived in the restaurant bit to the time we cut our losses and left, without being served or spoken to by the staff).

Can't judge the food, beyond saying it looked nice, and can't judge the beer, because we weren't offered any.

A shame because the pub looks brilliant, and people would surely be queuing out of the door if it was great. It's not like there's no
competition either, I'm sitting in one of the alternatives and can see at least three others.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London
“Rude, undertrained staff and over priced sub quality food.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

On arrival were greeted by rude bar staff and a snappy waitress. The roast was cold with warm gravy, condiments never arrived dispute repeatedly asking.
Judge a place by the toilet? The ladies WC had a toilet that doesn't flush and the floor was covered in loo roll. Say no more!

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Rude and inefficient staff, dreadful food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I went in to the restaurant at 13.00 to book at table for 6 people at 18.00. We wanted to eat in the main bar. I was assured this wouldn't be a problem. we arrived at 18.03 no table had been reserved. The person who had taken the reservation told me she had been too busy ( in the last 5 hours) to reserve any table and any way it wasn't fair to anyone else in case they had been sitting at a table for 6. Not sure why she agreed to the reservation. The bar staff are rude and surly, I was even greeted by a " what do you want?" when I tried to order a bottle of wine. The food service was very fast for the first guest then by the time she had finished her roast pork, which she said was delicious, the rest arrived in dribs and drabs very slowly. My toasted cous cous with haloumi had no haloumi and the cous cous was not toasted, it was wet and claggy. The avocado salad had no avocado.
The phone number listed on their web site is never answered, just a message saying ring back later.
Get a grip Crown and Greyhound, train your staff and change your chef.

• Visited November 2013