“LOCATION, VALUE for MONEY” 4 of 5 stars
Review of County Hotel

You added County Hotel to your Saves list
County Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Upper Woburn Place, Russell Square, London WC1H 0JW, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Ranked #295 of 684 Specialty Lodging in London
Noosa, Queensland, Australia
“LOCATION, VALUE for MONEY”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Stayed here in 1999 and May this year (6 nights). Five mins to Euston Stn, 10 mins walk to Pancras Stn (EuroRail to Paris). At Euston Stn there is M & S food supermarket with great choice of meals, wines & desserts to take back to the room if you don't want to eat out. Rooms clean, bed comfortable, towels changed daily. Yeah, the rooms are outdated but this isn't five star. Some bathrooms have been refurbished since '99. I never queued for a toilet or shower as there was always a vacant one nearby. Reception staff were good, Chris the porter didn't seem very happy at first but he was fine by day two. Quite helpful & always remembered my room number, having the key ready by the time I arrived at the desk. Breakfast staff not friendly, but will smile and say hello if you do so first. I made a point of saying hello and thanking them. The head dining man didn't seem pleasant to guests or the staff. Food okay, baked beans, tinned tomatoes good choice as bacon looked undercooked. No choice of milks. Dining chairs (material) were really grubby. Overall, value for money. I'd stay again as it's central, bus passes by regularly & area seems safe. 15 min walk to Charing Cross, Covent Garden & nearby park down road. I stayed one night w/cousin before going to Paris for 3 nights (hotel kept my large suitcase in secure place for a very cheap fee) & on my return to London stayed five nights on my own. :)

Room Tip: Probably best to avoid being next to the bathroom/toilet rooms - for noise reasons only, if you want...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I just stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. Where in Central London can you get get 3 nights B&B for £90? Of course I checked the reviews and was not surprised or disappointed when I arrived. What does annoy me is the visicous attacks made by some other reviewers. Just what do you expect for £30 a night including breakfast? Yes, if I had paid over £100 a night I would be complaining but I wasn't. The location is perfect, all the staff I spoke to were helpful and polite (and unobtrusive - some reviewers seem to think the staff are to entertain as well as serve). Everything was old, reminded me of military mess accommodation 40 years ago, but perfectly serviceable and in good working order. My room and the shared bathrooms were spotless. I had a room at the back of the hotel and slept well with the window wide open all night. Breakfast was very adequate, a reviewer complained of small plates, well no one would stop you going back for more. I talked to other guests and no one was complaining.

People - get real. For £30 a night in Central London what you get at the County is Excellent Value For Money. If sharing a bathroom fills you with dread then open your wallet and go somewhere else. Now I've found the County Hotel I shall be returning for some economical weekends in London.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at back of hotel. I was on 7th floor but a long standing visitor I met suggested 3rd...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

If you go to London to sit in a hotel room then this is not the place for you. If, like me you spend your time out and about it is fine. I have always found the staff helpful and the hotel has always been clean. Great prices available. I have never paid more than £39, usually less, for room and breakfast. Great location close to transport links. I always stay here on my trips to the capital.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Blackburn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here Friday to Sunday for concert at Wembley Stadium. Perfect location for Euston Station and tube links. The room was very clean and the bedding was spotless. Plenty of fresh clean towels in room. Tea, coffee and TV in room with plenty of space to hang clothes etc. Our room was to the rear of the hotel so we didn't experience any noise. Although, after sightseeing one day and concert the next, we were both exhausted and slept like logs in the comfy beds! The shared facilities didn't cause us any problems, they were clean. Our room was only a hop and a skip from the showers and toilets anyway. As with the other reviews, the hotel is quite dated but the staff are happy, friendly and knowledgeable. The breakfasts are fantastic, great choice of cereals and juice and of course a delicious hot buffet style English breakfast. The dining room is in the basement but don't let that put you off, again, although it is dated, it is roomy, clean and bright and well managed by the waiters and kitchen staff. The lifts worked fine during our stay. I booked this hotel in combination with return rail fares and got an absolute bargain so 'you pay your money and take your choice' as they say. Not the Ritz but not the pits either! We had a fab stay and we wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room to the rear wasn't noisy at all.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We went here for our friends birthday. We booked in advance and decided here over euston travel lodge. It's so out dated that they have a porters desk! You have a key that is on a long metal pole that you have to give to the porters desk each time you go out!
You have to keep the receipt for your room to get back your key.
Lift system barley works. You get to your room and it stinks, there's war bedding, shared bathroom that are never cleaned. I didn't expect much but this by far was disgusting! Can hear the road all night. Would have had a better stay in a hostel!
Never again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Hayward, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I made a colossal mistake of booking 4 nights in this "hotel". I paid 95 sterling a night, yes folks, 95 UK POUNDS!!! The day we got there, it was raining and we had been walking around in circles, trying to locate this place, only to find that THE WHOLE HOTEL FACADE WAS COVERED WITH NETTING AND SCAFFOLDING!!! Got to the reception area soaked and tired from a 3 hour train ride from Bradford, where an english girl and another girl with an accent (eastern european I think) was happily chatting away. Stood there for a minute. Finally, I had to say, " Excuse me, I have a reservation." The english girl walked away and the other girl looked at me like I had another head growing out of my shoulder. An asian guy with an american accent! In an exasperated voice, she asked for my name. But the accent was really thick and so I answered "I am sorry, whats that?". That's when you-know-what hit the fan. OMG, the attitude like I just insulted her to the max! Well, finally after that fiasco of getting registered , we got to our room and the place was a dump...hello bedbugs and beyond!!! We were placed on the 4th floor and since the scaffolding were outside, we can't even leave the windows open. Oh, did I mention that for 95 UK pounds, we got to share the bathroom and toilet WITH THE WHOLE FLOOR!!!! Stupid me, did not even realized that when I was booking the reservation.We went out and immediately looked for another place to stay. Had to stay there for one night, left the next day and tried to get a refund. Guess what...NOT HAPPENING! Apparently, my travel agency told me I should have gotten an early checkout receipt but since that was the first time it happened to me, I don't even know there was such a thing.
DO NOT BOOK HERE! Travel lodge was cheaper and way better, not grand but , at least, you get a semblance of a hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dundee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

I went to London with a group of friends, one of which booked this hotel without checking. So this was not my choice. After reading all the reviews I was certainly not expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was just like the pictures, and maybe I can sleep in any bed, but i slept quite well. The window could not be opened a little. It was either full or not at all, and being on the first floor with scaffolding right on the window giving easy access, the room was quite hot. The shared bathrooms were my biggest worry. However, they seem to be in the process or renovating and i was in the north end of the building (closest to Euston) and the bathrooms seemed to be brand new, unlike the very dilapidated bathrooms for other ends. Final advice, for a little more, (very little) you can stay at the sister hotel just down the road (the royal national) or travel lodge. If you don't mind sharing a bathroom and paying roughly the same as a hotel that would get you an en-suit, then stay here, its a bed and a roof.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to County Hotel? Share your experiences!