“Incredible!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel London St James

You added Sofitel London St James to your Saves list
Sofitel London St James
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Waterloo Place, London SW1Y 4AN, England (St. James's)   |
Special Offer
SOFITEL CHIC GOURMANDISE
Ranked #22 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Phoenix
“Incredible!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

We spent 8 nights here and loved every min of it. We stayed in a Prestige Suite on the fourth floor (#405) and had lovely views! We heard a little bit of street noise (nothing that kept us awake) but never a sound from the nearby rooms. The staff was incredible! They were very friendly and bent over backwards trying to make us comfortable and happy. I have nothing but praise for them. The room service was fast and delivered not only hot and on time but in an elegant presentation. We ate dinner at the restaurant twice (reservations recommended) and found the food to be delicious and the service to be excellent. The location is amazing with many attractions within walking distance (an ATM is less than a block away). My husband had to unfortunately go into the hospital for 3 nights during our visit and the staff went out of their way to ask about him, attend to my needs and make me feel safe and comfortable, and welcome him back when he was discharged. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

My husband and I spent 3 nights in the Sofitel for a special birthday treat.

The Good:

•Location, location, location. Walking distance from Trafalgar Square, Leister Square, Piccadilly Circus, Theaters, Buckingham Palace, Covent Garden, London Eye, Oxford Street, Bond Street etc….. Once you arrive, you never need to use public transport to get around to the major attractions.

•Amazing staff throughout – all very professional, courteous, helpful and knowledgeable. A very special mention to the Concierge staff. These guys were great – absolutely loved them!

•Bedroom – Modern, chic, spacious (for London), amazingly quiet and very relaxing. The beds were fantastic – the most comfortable pillows I have ever slept on….. In addition, the bed-linen was superb.

The Bad:

•Breakfast – Unfortunately breakfast was a disaster every morning. The tables were never set properly – we had to request side plates and knives each morning. Butter and milk were missing on another morning. The ‘hot’ buffet was never hot (this drives my husband crazy – he gets so odd when the eggs are cold!), the bread knife for cutting the bread was missing every morning and you had to ask for it (I can never understand why they just don’t have the bread cut for you – I personally think it’s pretty gross to have everybody handling the bread. Yes they provide a napkin to hold it with whilst cutting it, but if you watch people you will see that 90% do not use the napkin. Interestingly enough, once somebody brought you the bread knife and you used it, the guy from the kitchen came out and took it away again, so the next person who went up also had to ask for it! Bizarre… Looks like they have only one!
On our 3rd and final morning (Saturday), we arrived to breakfast at 10.15am (breakfast is served until 11.30am on the weekend). The restaurant was full, so we had to queue. After 20 minutes we were seated at a table which was not prepared for us at all. After asking for knives, plates etc, we went to the ‘hot’ buffet counter which was empty apart from a few sad looking pieces of bacon. We moved on to the cold meats section which too was pretty empty. The cheese plate had one totally melted piece of cheese on it, so we decided to have some fruit and cereal. There were no cereal bowls or plates available, so we just grabbed a few pastries. It was mayhem there and the staff was so obviously overwhelmed with other clients complaining that we did not have the heart to join in. So, we ate our pastries and left the restaurant quite miserable…. If I was to return there again, I would go with a room only rate…
•Room Service – Very poor service. Ordered 2 hot chocolates to our room at 10.15pm. I called them again at 11.00pm as they had not yet arrived. When they did arrive finally at 11.15pm – there was only hot chocolate for one, so the poor guy had to go back down and get another!

•Storage in the bedroom is very limited – no place to hang coats, umbrellas etc. The wardrobe is not deep enough for shirts, suits etc, so they get quite crumpled by the door

The Ugly:

•Faulty stopper in the bathroom sink which had to be taken out each time to allow the water to go down. Gross!! I made my husband take it out! I find this particularly irritating; because there is no way that the housekeeping staff could have missed this when cleaning.

•Some mould in the corner of the shower tray…

All in all, apart from the fiasco at breakfast, this is a great hotel in a great location with great staff. If they could sort out the breakfast, then they would get top marks!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2009

i did not have the experience of below re service. No body to help with my bags when i arrived, ques for everything (even breakfast!!!), unbelievably arrogant staff (that you would be prepared for if in Paris - but youdon't expect it in London). They forgot the chicken in the Caesar salad, took 15 mins to get an espresso at breakfast, don't provide fresh bottles of toiletries, and there is no moisturiser in the selection, no comedy channel and the gym only has one bike. This place is not cheap, and the service is just not up to scratch. you should not have to use versions of sign language to order your breakfastbecause the staff don't speak enough English!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Winchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

We hired the spa for a group of six of us for a corporate entertainment event. Everyone had a fantastic time. The building is beautiful. The staff are knowledgeable and helpful. The lunch was good. A successful day and an experience we will definately be repeating. Many thanks to all at SoSpa.

The rating is based on just cleanliness, location, service and value as we didn't see the rooms

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2009

I struggled to find a top quality hotel in London for my honeymoon night as everywhere seemed to be booked up or the hotels were ridiculously priced at over £500. Having only previously stayed in one top central London hotel a few years ago, which was Swissotel, The Howard on the Embankment, that would prove to be the benchmark for this hotel stay. I paid £320 in 2004 for a top quality room at Swissotel, overlooking the river with a separate living room area and had a massive bathroom. So paying £500+ for a 5* Luxury Hotel in London seemed pretty silly, seeing as they were only standard rooms, offered no breakfast and the rooms looked tiny on the photos.

In the end, I decided to go through last minute.com secret hotel option and coincidentally Sofitel was selected with its luxury rooms. I was quite happy with my luck as the day before I rang Sofitel directly who told me they all luxury rooms were fully booked for my dates but when I rang them back to confirm my reservation the day after, they said that they had had a last minute cancellation............hmmm!

Anyways, I told them it was a special occasion and when we arrived, the receptionist had informed me that we had been upgraded to a junior suite to the delight of me and my wife.
We were taken upstairs and shown the room where there was also champagne on ice and a letter from the management, welcoming us......when I say letter, i mean compliment slip but it is the thought that counts.

The room and bathroom was smaller than I thought it would be for a Junior Suite. What would a luxury room be like I wonder?

Toiletries were Hermes which were brilliant and so was the rain shower too. The bed was incredibly soft and just as those other reviews have described it to be.
We ordered room service, which was again, as expected, overpriced - club sandwich was £16 + service charge but it was very delicious almost justifying its price tag.

As we stayed one night, we said no to breakfast option....I know you're thinking "it's this guy's wedding night...what a cheapo" but then you would think again for £26 per person for breakfast......Starbucks does just the same job only for £3 a pop and there's about 500 in central London.

Sofitel did the simple things well: staff were friendly and helpful, room was exceptionally clean, bed was brilliant and so was the food. However, it begs belief that top central London hotels cost this much and I hate to think what tourists think of the prices when they choose to book. I guess less is more, especially for these hotels bang in central London.

Yes the hotel is bang in the central of London, just a minutes walk from Piccadilly but yet £450+ for a room (remember I had booked a luxury room and got a free upgrade) is astronomical - I don't think my stay would have been as good if I was given a smaller, luxury room.

However, you get what you pay for; there is no question this is a top quality hotel in terms of the service you receive, the food and the cleanliness of the rooms but the rooms are not just big enough so don't expect too much on the basic accommodation options.

I have come to the conclusion that the large proportion of what you pay for is the location. This is why everything is so damn expensive at this place but yet you should not have anything to complain about while you're there as you will be treated so kindly and made to feel so welcome.

Would not stay there again though as I think there are a better hotels, which offer you better room space and luxury for your money.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

Stayed at the Stylish Sofitel St James on a Saturday night, From the moment we walked into the hotel, greeted by Pauline till we checked out we were treated soooo well. The location is fab, our room a standard dbl was lovely, warm, comfortable and spotless. Everyone should experience sleeping in a Sofitel bed, you will want to buy one.I had a slight problem using the in room interenet as im not very technical and nothing was too much trouble for Oliver the consierge, who spent half an hour on a busy Saturday night making sure I knew how the use it. Thanks Oliver. I highly recommend this hotel could not fault it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

There is no doubt that the Hotel is very good,despite the fact that some staff hardly speak any English,originating most of them in France or Eastern Europe.
However,with all the unreasonable praise they get here,in two years they increased their rates x4.
Chesterfield in Mayfair is far superior,at half the price
Thanks

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sofitel London St James? Share your experiences!