“London Personified” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Sofitel London St James to your Saves list
Travelocity Expedia.com
Sofitel London St James
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Waterloo Place, London SW1Y 4AN, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Ranked #14 of 1,071 hotels in London
San Francisco, California
“London Personified”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

The Sofitel London St. James hotel is absolutely lovely! The entire staff provided that famous Sofitel Warmth, Professionalism and sincereity that is synonymous with the Sofitel Brand! This hotel captures the charm, sophistication and quaintness of London and makes you feel right at home during your stay!

J Michael Berryhill

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
D_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Mr. Berryhill,

I thank you so much for your words of praise. It was a real pleasure welcoming and pampering you!

I look forward to your next visits.

A bientôt,
Denis

2,309 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed 17-27 October

Copy of my email - awaiting reply

I checked out a day earlier than booked because of storm forecasts that said there would be widespread delays & damages disrupting transport over the following days.

As I was to meet my son to finalise his wedding plans I was most anxious that I would be delayed if I did not leave until Monday 28th,

As you would have seen on many news bulletins the delays in the southwest region were extensive & in fact I would have had great difficulty reaching Hampton Court on the morning of 28th.

When I spoke to you on Sunday I explained my situation & you undertook to speak to the Hotel Management regarding the charge for overnight 27th October.

Considering I had already stayed in your hotel for 10 days & have stayed with you every time I have been in London in recent years I would have thought this request would have been automatically granted.

I did not hear from you as promised on Monday 28th, therefore, would ask again that you give this matter due consideration and email me your reply.

Kind Regards

Cheryl Hatch

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

D_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Mrs. Hatch,

I am terribly sorry for the delay in dealing with your request. I understand an e-mail was sent to you today.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Denis Dupart
Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

A luxury hotel for sure and every attempt to make our stay perfect had apparently been put in place to ensure an uneventful stay …or so we thought! A week before our stay an email arrived from Geraldine, the Guest Relations Officer, asking how we’d like our room, what bedding, our arrival times etc etc and if I required any extras – I asked for a couple of massages to be booked on our second day and got an email back saying the hotel would contact me if the bookings couldn’t be honoured. On arrival there was no record of either our spa booking or the choice of newspaper I’d requested. The paper was duly re-ordered but front of house couldn’t resolve the spa issue. As this was a very special weekend and I thought I’d covered every eventuality I was a little taken aback at these oversights – particularly as it was clear that my original “requests document” had been received. The spa issue was passed to the lovely Geraldine to deal with. She popped along less than an hour later while we were having lunch in The Balcon and had sorted everything so “issue” resolved with apologies. Lunch was good. Wine and drinks are expensive as in any luxury hotel, but to be fair it was excellent quality wine. Service was absolutely spot on and is a further 12.5% of the advertised prices – friendly efficient service and a dining room with the loveliest of atmospheres.

We had been upgraded from a standard to queen room so this was a reasonably sized room for a central London hotel... it was clean and most of the usual in-room offerings were provided. Surprisingly there was only 1 robe and one “set” of shampoo/conditioner/body wash…but 2 sets of towels!?! A room service visit sometime during our evening out remedied the shampoo etc. but not the robe. Sofitel seem not to provide any body lotion which in my experience differs from the majority of luxury hotel group bathrooms.

Just before we were dressing for dinner (not at the hotel) the doorbell rang and a beautifully decorated anniversary chocolate delight was brought in. It was very thoughtful of the hotel and a nice touch.

We slept well and in the morning, despite all my previous day’s best efforts at check in – guess what…no paper! Grrrr!We went down quite late for breakfast. Breakfast was very average – given the “headline cost” I’d probably say it really wasn’t anywhere near worth it – there was a lot of choice to be sure, but our cooked breakfast was well below par. We asked for eggs cooked to order instead of taking the pre-cooked options on offer at the buffet. Not only did these take an age to come, when they did arrive the “toast” was just triangles of pale cream, cold & soggy disaster bread!! (I went off and made us some toast to save time). It seemed that someone had been dispatched from the kitchen with our plates to select the bacon/sausages/beans/tomatoes atc from the buffet a good few minutes before the eggs were ready – consequently most of the breakfast, eggs apart, was no more than luke warm. A disappointing cooked breakfast at best.

Then the massage – despite the previous day’s kerfuffle arranging it and the staff “squeezing us in” it didn’t seem that busy – but it was exceptionally clean, comfortable and enjoyable. I’d recommend it.

Check out was a breeze and again very professional.

All in all we enjoyed the Sofitel immensely despite a couple of hiccups but as for returning – I’m not so sure I’d go straight back – I think I’d probably try the competition next time just to see if £350 with them gets everything right!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
D_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear guest,

I thank you for your constructive feedback.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused with the misunderstanding with Geraldine. Please rest assured that this does not reflect our normal standards. Therefore I will liaise with the Front of House Manager about this matter in order to avoid any future occurrence.

I am also sorry for the missing second bathrobe and body lotion in the bathroom. Again this is not up to our standards.

Despite the challenges you have experienced on your last stay, I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcoming you back with our undivided attention.

Denis
Solihull, Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed here for one night (28th October room 330), got a very good rate through booking a certain way ;-)

After a long journey across the UK just after the storms had blocked the train lines we arrived at about 1500 hours. Check in was quick and efficient and the touch of a fruit juice was welcome, it was stated we received a free upgrade but wasn't sure about that as the room whilst excellent didn't seem upgraded, . The young lady at check in escorted us to our room and ensured a complete welcome.

ROOM :- decorated in an art deco style, had a smallish flat screen TV and a decent music system beside the bed. All amenities needed were in room including iron/ironing board, bathrobes and slippers. The bed was soft and very comfortable, perfect for a nights sleep.

Due to being late and seeing a show we didn't have the pleasure of sampling the bar and restaurant

One BRILLIANT touch by the hotel was after I made a passing comment to the check in lady that the trip was for my wife's birthday. After we returned from a show (we will rock you -excellent !) , we had received a turn down service with individually decorated chocolates saying Happy Birthday to my wife - top quality service

I have been to many hotels in many countries but this beats all of them hands down for service and attention to detail. When I return to London I will try and stay here again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
I thank you very much for your positive feedback.

I am glad to hear that you have had an enjoyable stay with us.

I was most pleased to read that we have fulfilled your expectations in terms of standards of service.

We look forward to welcoming you back on many other occasions.

Denis.

Been to Sofitel London St James? Share your experiences!