“" of course, madam!"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel London St James

Save Saved
You added Sofitel London St James to your Saves list
Sofitel London St James
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Waterloo Place, London SW1Y 4AN, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #19 of 1,073 hotels in London
boston
“" of course, madam!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

From the moment you arrive, you Re treated like royalty.we stayed in room 307, facing the front and paul's mall. Location excellent.5 minute walk up to picadilly.Shower is separate and like a car wash. Hand held plus huge rain shower head. Bed is a cloud. Wonderful room darkening shades and curtains. Water and slippers by your bed nightly.ridiculously expensive, but you can try back and forth writing to reservations months in advance and get them to decrease somewhat. Wireless worked perfectly.get breakfast package. Service is for a queen. I always ordered egg whites scrambled, and a bowl of fresh berries. I kept them busy with a constant flow of coffee and hot milk. Individual French press pots of coffee.Saw kids having hot chocolate...a bowl of hot milk with a hunk of chocolate on a stick. The breakfast room is lovely.plenty on buffet, which has been improved over the last few years.concierge helpful, and love all the French accents, as much of the staff is French.I stayed at the Cavendish, Park Lane also,but much prefer sofitel. Tea room with harp music in lobby.gym with weird womb like chair to nurture and calm you.I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Save up and splurge. You deserve it.

Room Tip: Room 307.Good size, great bathroom, nice view, and knock out car wash shower!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
D_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Indeed our central yet quiet location is a true asset for both leisure of professional purposes.

I can tell that Sofitel Luxury Hotels has once again achieved its aim in taking you to sleep like onto fluffy clouds. MyBed is a unique bed system loved by every guest.

The Executive Chef and I were glad to hear that you have enjoyed your breakfast in our restaurant The Balcon. We proud ourselves in offering only the freshiest products on the market.

I thank you for recommending Sofitel London St James and look forward to welcoming you back.

A bientôt,

2,414 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed here last week - our family had three rooms - all beautifully appointed and very good value for such a superb and central location in London. Staff were warm and accommodating. Breakfast was fantastic - kids loved the pancake machine and monstrous hot chocolates. Loved the bathroom amenities too! Highly recommended - we will be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed our central location. It is indeed extremely convenient.

I thank you for pointing out our high standards of service. As a matter of fact we love to indulge all of our guests.

I also thank you for recommending Sofitel London St James.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Excellent service at reception when we checked in. Receptionist took us to our room and explained all the facilities - luggage arrived within a couple of minutes. Beautifully decorated bedroom and well featured bathroom.

We had lunch and breakfast in the hotel which we really enjoyed and the nibbles in the cocktail the best we've ever had.

The hotel is very boutique-ish never too many people and the staff work very hard at making you feel an important guest. We would thoroughly recommend it. We will return!

Room Tip: We had room 210, an excellent room but a disappointing view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I thank you so much for such words of praise with regards to our high standards of service. It is always a pleasure for us to indulge all of our guests.

I also thank you for thouroughly recommending Sofitel London St James. Our guests are our best ambassadors.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed here for one night during a London vacation as we've had positive experiences with Sofitel elsewhere. Overall, our experience was again a very positive one. The hotel itself is stately, with a lovely lobby and a very classy, relaxed bar (we didn't try the restaurant but it looked nice as well). The staff was universally helpful and pleasant (although the concierge was fairly condescending towards us as we're younger travelers), and the location, just between St. James Park and Piccadilly Circus, was just about perfect. The only problem was the incredibly small size of the rooms - we weren't even in the smallest category and we barely had space for our two suitcases. This lack of space seems standard in London, but the space still felt as if it could have been better utilized; the bathroom was roomy - virtually the same size as the bedroom. So, if space is not an issue for you, I would unreservedly recommend this hotel; if you need more space, I would imagine the suites are a better choice. In sum, I would certainly stay here again, but perhaps make sure I could get a bit more room to spread out and enjoy the wonderful amenities and design.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Superior room and it was cute but *tiny* and there were no upgrades available on the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
D_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
I thank you so much for such positive a feedback!

We do our utmost to please all of our guests and I am glad to hear that you have felt our genuine service.

I am sorry to hear that you have felt tight in your room. Indeed Superior Rooms may feel a bit small for American guests as spaces are much wider in the United States than in England. May I suggest you to book a Luxury Room for your future stays?

I also wanted to thank you for "unreservedly" recommending Sofitel London St James!

We look forward to welcoming you back!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

The Sofitel was so close to perfection that I have agonised over the star rating...I'm really torn between 4-5 stars. The negative details that usually let a hotel down were not a problem. It was little niggles that don't usually arise...and also details that cheapened what really is a superb hotel choice in the heart of London's elite heart. S. from the beginning. The reception decor is a little startling, a mass of mirrors, chandeliers and several rather perplexing little displays of materials involved - if memory serves - with the minting and printing process. But its very bold, and its very stylish. The receptionists are all exquisite, even down to exotic continental accent, and were very helpful in escorting me to the lifts and showing me around the facilities on the ground floor (this personal attention to detail is one of the best things about the hotel...and is instrumental for any hotelier wondering how to get from **** to *****). The corridor (3rd floor) to my room...well actually it was one of the few bad aspects of the hotel, because it literally stank of damp. It was actually quite appalling. It quite distracted me from wondering about the Peggy Ashcroft suite, located on the same floor. I am - with uncharacteristic generosity - going to write it off to temporary happenstance. And perhaps this is the reason the hotel was available at relatively modest cost on lastminute.com? The room was not large by any means, and had a view of the backside of the neighbouring building. But...it was still very comfortable and well appointed, although even after a day there I could NOT work out the lighting system, there being a series of switches that turned off the entire circuit, meaning the if I wanted to go to the loo in the middle of the night I found myself turning all the lights in in order to activate the loo lights. Quite possibly my own fault, but certainly irritatingly and unnecessarily complex. The bed was wonderfully comfy. The hotel has fallen of one of my absolute pet peeves...the electronic bar. I just don't understand how someone can look at an otherwise lovely hotel and then shove in a bar that charges you automatically for removing peanuts from its electronic clamps, or logs a sale whenever you kick the fridge. I even called up when I arrived and said that I would be moving things in the fridge in order to store my own bottle of wine there and that i wouldn't be using any of the items...and when I arrived at reception I had been charged over £30. I had them take it off the bill of course...but it's so cheap...it has sleazy motel written all over it. Its like a vibrating bed or Magic Fingers. In a hotel of this otherwise high calibre I was rather taken aback by this. The room decor was tasteful and restrained. In almost every sense, the place can't be faulted. Looking back at this review I am struck at how negative it sounds, and this is unfair because the hotel was really a great place to stay. It's perfectly located, stylish, sexy and sophisticated. And the details have been addressed...in almost all cases. Just throw away the electronic fridges, sort the damp and invite me back for a cocktail (the cocktail bar is also great). I will be happy to attend.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
D_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
I thank you for your detailed, very personal feedback.

I was extremely pleased to read the summary of your comment in such words of praise. We genuinely put a lot into exceeding our guests expectations and I am truly glad to hear that we have achieved our aim with you.

We look forward to your next stay.

Denis

Been to Sofitel London St James? Share your experiences!