“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel London St James

You added Sofitel London St James to your Saves list
Sofitel London St James
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Waterloo Place, London SW1Y 4AN, England (St. James's)   |
Special Offer
SOFITEL CHIC GOURMANDISE
Ranked #24 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Devon
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

What wonderful service. Great location and staff. The room was ultra plush, with the bed being so comfortable. I could hardly get my teenage son up to go touring. Fun bar with nice service too. The restaurant recommendations from the concierge were spot on! Go and enjoy a stay here. You won't be sorry

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
I thank you for pointing out our high standards of services and assets with so much praise. You have made our day at Sofitel London St James.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Denis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

After a few hectic weeks we decided last minute to try to get out of London for the weekend. In the end we booked two nights in the Sofitel St James as we had left it to late to go anywhere else. It couldnt have worked out better. The hotel is great and tthe service is excellant.

The staff were excellant as is the location. Probably the best hotel in London for service.

Room Tip: Book a minimum of a luxury room as the smaller rooms and VERY small.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
The whole team and I thank you for such a compliment pointing us out as being "the best hotel in London for service". This is our utmost reward. Thank you so much!

We look forward to welcoming you back to our centrally located Sofitel London St James.

A bientôt,

Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

On our recent trip to london to celebrate my husband's birthday, I booked a prestige suite for 2 nights based on the fantastic reviews on TA. I have previously stayed at other 5 star London hotels but wanted to try a different location. While there were many nice things about the stay there were enough concerns that I would not choose to stay here again. First the good parts: 1. Fantastic location that really is one of the best in London; 2. Incredibly clean and elegant hotel; 3. Fantastic tea that exceeded expectations; 4. Lovely cake greeting in our room for my husband's birthday--very thoughtful and unexpected. Now the problems 1. When we arrived the reception could not find our reservation and after a great deal of anxiety on my part where I had to pull out my confirmation, I was told "Oh you booked a suite that's why you are not in the system". Rather than feeling special, I felt this was some big inconvenience. Really? This was a $1100 per night room... I sent my husband to tour around with my daughter as it was tense and hardly the 5 star start. 2. Initial suite that was to be "view only" had windows so high it was like staying in a basement. The only view was the cloudy London March sky. I returned to the reception and they were very accomodating and booked us in another lovely suite with updated decor and at least we could see the city view so that was nice. 3. The breakfast as others have commented was mediocre but worse was the plastic bits found in my daughter's hot chocolate! Clearly a health hazard and no apologies or offer to comp the breakfast which really I would expect from a 5 star hotel. We didn't ask but they didn't offer either. Not classy. She was upset enough that we couldn't finish.
Overall while the room was lovely and the hotel pleasant, we would not choose to stay here again given the great choices in London.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
I am truly sorry for the confusion occured upon your arrival at the Front Desk. However thanks to the team's efficiency all was sorted out.

Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies regarding the plastic bits found in your daughter's hot chocolate. Please rest assured that this does not reflect at all our normal high standards of services. I will liaise with the Food & Beverage Director about this inconvenience in order to avoid any future occurence.

I thank you for your constructive feedback and hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back at another occasion.

With best regards.

Denis Dupart
Buderim
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This short stay was quite simply the best 5 day hotel experience we have ever had. From the moment we were welcomed into the exquisite lobby of this central London hotel and offered a cup of coffee and croissant by the concierge while we waited to check in, the experience got just better. The building is gorgeous, the room excellent (although with a rather cramped bathroom and that dreadful over-the-bath shower (how do folk with arthritis manage to get in and out of these), the staff, from housekeeping to concierge to restaurant folk could not do enough. Always presenting immaculate Gallic charm, we felt very welcome and imagined that they were all genuinely pleased to serve us. Of course it is not cheap...but considering its location one block away from both Trafalgar Square and Piccadilly Circus, it was excellent value. We have stayed in similar priced and located hotels in New York and Paris and this place shines like a beacon above them all. We cannot wait to return. Thanks for the experience!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I am truly glad to hear that you have noticed our genuine way of interacting with all of our guests. Because it is true, we love to look after them!

The team and I felt really proud while reading that you have had "the best hotel experience ever" at Sofitel London St James. We could not be happier. Thank you!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Wigan, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Having stayed in some, lets call them less desirable, yet claiming to be 4 star hotels in London, I decided to book my husbands birthday weekend somewhere more likely to hit the mark. Thankfully that is exactly what the Sofitel St James did. None of the good hotels in London are inexpensive, but if you are lucky you can get a good deal on the Sofitel website, or at least we did. Compared to other 5 stars in London it is well priced even without the offers.

From the minute we arrived we knew it was the right choice, the staff go that extra mile to make your stay perfect, and even when there are problems they deal with them efficiently. When we got there we found there was a problem issuing the room keys, but the receptionist took us up to the room and let us in apologising all the way. It wasn't a real issue, we just collected the keys when we went down later. We had been upgraded and the room was lovely. The bed was extremely comfortable, bathroom well stocked with everything you might need, and it was all spotless. There was a turn down service which was great as they left water by the bed and again made sure everything was spotless.

The St Jame's bar had a nice relaxed atmosphere with a good range of drinks and especially cocktails! On our second night we ate in the restaurant, and I would say it was good but not great. Nothing wrong with what we were served but also not the sort of meal you want to rave about after. The service in the restaurant was again wonderful, you were never left waiting too long.

The hotel is very well placed, which helps when the weather is as bad as it was while we were there!

There were just a couple of things that we felt could be improved. Fresh milk in the room - being typical brits we like a hot drink and this is certainly catered for in the room, tea, coffee and hot chocolate all provided, but with the horrible little tubs of UHT milk which I hate. This is not unusual in hotels of course, but I would expect fresh milk in a 5 star hotel. Having said that I did ask for some and before I knew it they had brought some to the room. Breakfast - we are used to staying in hotels and have stayed in a number of high end hotels where you pay a pretty penny for the breakfast, but never before have we had to pay so much for it! If you opt for a cooked breakfast you are going to pay over the odds for it, and then it is buffet style unless you opt not to have the scrambled eggs (if you want fried or poached eggs they are done fresh and your full breakfast brought to you). It was delicious, but very much over priced.

Only a couple of very minor negatives though, and we would definitely stay again, in fact I can't imagine wanting to stay anywhere else when going to London. Beautiful hotel which exceeding expectations in almost every area.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor so had views across London.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
What a lovely feedback! The whole team and I thank you for that. Indeed we go the extra mile to indulge all of our guests and it is really enjoyable to hear our guests' extreme satisfaction.

Regarding our breakfast rate, please allow me to inform you that we have aligned our offer to other 5 star hotels in the West End.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

A bientôt,

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

From the moment we walked through the door the staff were excellent. Smiling and helpful. The bed and shower deserve a special mention too! The location was ideal for shopping and the theatre which was what we were there to do. I only hope the Gatwick Sofitel is as good, as I am staying there soon.

Room Tip: We only saw one room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
What a delightful feedback! I truly thank you for that.

Indeed we love to pamper all of our guests and it is our utmost reward to hear such a positive feedback as yours!

We really look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Managed to get a great deal in this classy center on London hotel - its location is just perfect with WestEnd Shows running in the street to the rear of the hotel, Picadilly Circus and tune station at the top of the street, and St James Park and Buckingham Palace at the bottom of the street - brillant - and top it off the staff were very friendly - even bringing up a birthday gift for my girlfriend on the mornintg of our first stay :) defo coming back

Room Tip: ask for one at the front - high up
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
The whole team and I are truly glad to have pleasantly surprised you and your girlfriend with a birthday cake. We love to indulge our guests. We cannot help it.

We look forward to many other occasions for you both to come over to Sofitel London St James.

Denis

Been to Sofitel London St James? Share your experiences!