“Excellent one night stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel London St James

You added Sofitel London St James to your Saves list
Sofitel London St James
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Waterloo Place, London SW1Y 4AN, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 30% OFF THIS WINTER
Ranked #20 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Oxford
“Excellent one night stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My one night stay at this hotel was truly excellent.

At check-in, staff were very polite, efficient and friendly. I was informed we had been upgraded to a superior room. In addition, they made sure that my request for a quiet room in a higher floor was met.

Room was excellent. 5 minutes after arriving, a waiter came with a 1 litre bottled water and home made (delicious) chocolates (all complimentary). At turndown they also put next to each bedside table a small bottle of water. The room is really well decorated, toiletries in bathroom are excellent, and shower pressure is good.

We had tea at their Rose Lounge. Wide selection of tea choices, excellent sandwiches and their scones were great. They also came with a choice of cakes at the end. Everything was delicious. We were also glad we had not eaten lunch, we were completely full after all that. Their champagne-cocktail was also great.

Breakfast, which was booked as part of their Magnifique package, was really good. Good selection of cold meats, cereals, yoghurts, salmon, pastries, breads and cooked food. Staff were extremely efficient and polite.

All in all excellent stay, and for what we paid for this hotel category I thought extremely good value for money. My only drawback was that we only stayed there for one night!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
I am really glad to read such a positive feedback.

I thank you for pointing out our "delicious" Afternoon Tea and breakfast.

We love to indulge all of our guests and I am happy to hear that you have felt it too.

We look forward to welcoming you back for a longer stay next time.

Au revoir,

Denis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed on 16th Feb in room 324,on entering the room there was a large machine in the middle,my husband found one of the housekeepers who removed it.
We then went out for the evening on our return, we could not believe the stench in the room.We had to phone reception at 1am to be moved, this room was fine but much smaller than the previous one.
We have stayed in other Sofitel Hotels and have never experianced anything like this before,very dissapointing for our Valentine break.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

I thank you for your constructive feedback.

I will right away have the Executive Housekeeper investigate the reasons forf this smell in your room in order to avoid any future occurence. Please rest assured that this does not reflect at all our normal standards.

I hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back.

Regards.

Denis Dupart
Alleins
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

As a frequent traveller I have been staying that the Sofitel St James very regularly (understatment). It is a perfect place to stay while in London mixing class, sophistication and professionalism. Over the years I have been staying here there has never been a problem and as expected from a Top 5 stars hotel the answer to my requests have always been "yes"! Do you want un "havre de paix" in a vibrant city, come to the Sofitel St James, it is amazing to achieve such a quality of silence in the bedrooms!! I could develop and write more about fantastic beds, the great food (Vincent your Ox Cheeks are just unbelivable) or the perfect atmosphere at the Bar (Nicolas and Gregg are succesfully maintaining what Mathieu created) but the best thing it to come and enjoy it for yourself. And if you are lucky you might even get to enjoy some of the new flavour (design and decor) that is slowing being introduced in the Hotel.... Looks and feel absolutely FANTASTIC.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Indeed we are located 2mns walk from Picaddilly Circus yet on the very quiet Waterloo Place. We are a "haven of peace" after a busy working/shopping day.

I thank you for pointing out our excellent level of service and for specifically mentioning Vincent, our Executive Chef at the restaurant The Balcon; Gregg, our St James Bar Manager as well as Nicolas, our Assistant Manager for the St James Bar. This kind of feedback always encourages the team to keep on providing such high standards.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another "fantastic" stay.

Au revoir,

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Everything you read about this hotel is true. Our expectations were high and Sofitel St James met them all. After a long haul flight from Australia our room was ready and waiting for us despite our 7am arrival. The staff are genuinely warm and welcoming, they really embody customer service and the Manager should be congratulated as the staff are the difference to guests experience.
Great room, great bar, great restaurant and best of all great location. The bed is fantastic, sleeping on feathers and the best rain shower ever! We will definitely recommend and stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I am truly thankful for such a wonderful feedback.

I thank you for praising all of our departments in the hotel, from the outstanding MyBed to the rooms, to the St James Bar, to the restaurant The Balcon, to the unbeatable location, etc.

I thank you also for recommending Sofitel London St James to TripAdvisor surfers as well as to your entourage.

We look forward to your next stay.

Basel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed with my wife for 3 nights , February 19th to the 22nd. This is around our 10th stay at this Sofitel over the last few years. Overall, the experience has been very positive and I do not think you can do any better in central London for this location and price range. The new breakfast/restaurant revamp has made it a lot smoother but I am a bit nostalgic for the old breakfast with its dizzying array of choices both as buffet and to order. You had to allow a good 40 mins to an hour for the experience but it was worth the wait. Still, the new breakfast format is still outstanding by any standards. Overall ,the service manages to be efficient and friendly without being obtrusive., the staff are very attentive and efficient when you need without being too forward. On nearly every visit we have had different rooms, sometimes upgrades, overall, in my opinion the rooms at the back on the higher floors are the best. As with all central London hotels, the rooms are small but they are very well equipped, the beds are super comfortable and usually quiet. The bar has a very pleasant ambiance and is the perfect place to enjoy an evening aperitif. Ususally we use the opportunity to explore other restaurants in London but on the couple of occasions we had dinner in the restaurant we found it excellent and a perfect option if you are tired and fancy a quiet relaxing evening in the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
I am delighted to hear that for the past years we have been consistent in providing high standards of service. This is a real compliment and I thank you for that.

It is also very pleasant to read that you enjoy the atmosphere we have created in the new St James Bar as well as in the new restaurant The Balcon. We have put a lot into the refurbishment of those 2 areas and I am delighted to hear that you very much like the places.

We then look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Wow! I found it extremely stylish, excellent value of money. The room was quiet with not a sound from the surrounding area. I loved the greenaries around the hotel, interesting art, fresh flowers and comfortable furniture. I had a great stay out there. Had a pleasure moment of stay there.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
I am really glad to hear that you have had such an enjoyable stay at Sofitel London St James! I thank you for mentioning it in your TripAdvisor feedback.

I hope you will have many more great stays as this one in the near future.

Denis.

Been to Sofitel London St James? Share your experiences!