“Marvellous!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel London St James

Save Saved
You added Sofitel London St James to your Saves list
Sofitel London St James
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Waterloo Place, London SW1Y 4AN, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #20 of 1,073 hotels in London
Antwerp
“Marvellous!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Very nice hotel! Good location, nice art, cosy bar and very friendly staff!
Well equiped rooms with a super-shower.
We recommend it to everyone!
1 tiny remark: maybe they should inform you when your room has no view and is located at the inside of a very narrow courtyard. To be clear: this wasn't really an issue for us since we were city-tripping and were mostly outside our room during daytime.

WDV & NC

Room Tip: See our remark if this item is important to you.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
I thank you for your very positive feedback and I am truly glad to hear that you have had a "marvellous' experience with us.

We genuinely love to indulge all of our guests and I can tell that you have noticed it.

We look forward to your next visit.

A bientôt,

2,436 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My sister and I were treated with such friendly and courteous service - it's no wonder we keep coming back to this truly first class hotel . We like to use it as our base to visit the ballet ( a short walk to the Coliseum) and other cultural sights in London ( this time it was Tate Britain & The British Library for its excellent Mughal Empire exhibition) and we always feel immensely comfortable and cosseted. They cannot do enough for you and the place is so clean and garlanded with such beautiful flowers. Laura kindly upgraded us to a lovely room with all modern amenities. The beds are wonderful and after a busy evening they gave us a great nights sleep.
Breakfast was ample and freshly cooked. Loads of variety to suit all tastes - my sister loves their Eggs Benedict . We had a pre theatre meal the night previous and price was very reasonable for our two courses and the mackerel with risotto and olive garnish was excellent. Don't forget the bar of an evening. Service is excellent and atmosphere lovely. We will be back - soon I hope!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
We were delighted to welcome you and your sister at Sofitel London St James.

Indeed our central location is quite an asset both for leisure & business purposes.

The Executive Chef and I were truly pleased to hear that you have enjoyed so much your breakfasts & pre-theatre dinners.

We look forward to your next visit.

Au revoir,

Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

When in London, in a weekend exit of my daughter that was spending the year at a boarding school. You´ll be at the right place, with the right service, location and comfortable rooms. Beautiful tea room and good breakfast. We had a great weekend, feeling like being home. Price may be high, but it may be worth it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
I thank you very much for your compliments and in particular the one pointing out that you have "felt like being at home". You couln't make my whole team and I happier. We genuinely love to indulge all of our guests and it is for us a true joy to hear positive feedbacks as yours.

We look forward to welcoming back very soon.

A bientôt,

Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We travelled this November with our kids (3 and 5) and we booked a junior suite. The reason i only gave 4 points was the size of the room vs the high price (i know London is not about large rooms but i had higher expectations from a junior suite). The rest was just as expected, apart from the fact that our room was not ready (we had to wait for about one hour but the lady at the reception was doing her best to accomodate us asap, offering a different room until ours was ready). The room service was a surprise, i ordered something simple (a burger) for one of the kids but we got different kinds of bread, butter, a glass of water (all complimentary) and all very nicely presented.

The hotel restaurant was great and so was the bar, the service impeccable as you would expect from such hotel. The beds were heaven! I do recommend the place as one of London's best.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
I thank you for your positive feedback regarding your overall enjoyable stay at Sofitel London St James.

I am mostly pleased to hear that you have loved our restaurant The Balcon as well as the St James Bar.

I can also tell that thanks to MyBed, the unique bed system created by Sofitel Luxury Hotels, you were taken to sleep like onto fluffy clouds.

Regarding your check-in, the normal time is 03:00PM. We try and accommodate early guests however it is subject to our availability.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Au revoir.

Perth, Western Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We decided to dive SOFITEL St James another try basically because of our Gold Accor Status and the general location of the hotel - which is excellent. The hotel service was considerably better; however the cost vs. benefits ratio just doesn't balance. Our room this time although apparently upgraded because of our loyalty was no match for the room we received upon our first visit and the water marks/damage on the ceiling should have alerted me to say something at the time but I was just too tired and arriving on Xmas day I thought this is all too hard.
As I said the standard of the service across the front desk, room service etc was substantially better than our previous visit.
Don't get me wrong, this is a decent hotel, with a descent brand, descent service but just doesn't meet the "wow" factor that some competitors in this price range give you. The competition is heating up across the globe when it comes to five star accommodations and the St James just needs to do something outside the square (in my opinion). Others may find this hotel amazing, but for me I will give someone else the business on my next visit.

Room Tip: You need to skip the first two room categories to get a good room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sofitel London St James? Share your experiences!