“All that glitters?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel London St James

You added Sofitel London St James to your Saves list
Sofitel London St James
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Waterloo Place, London SW1Y 4AN, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 30% OFF THIS WINTER
Ranked #21 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Cambridge
“All that glitters?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Just spent two nights over New Year at this hotel. Although it is classed as 5 star I thought that it was probably only 4 star. The cleanliness of the rooms was very good and the beds were very comfortable. Unfortunately it was noted that in the reception areas there were areas that needed a little freshening up, ie glass and mirrors needed cleaning. My reduction of a star was mainly for the Breakfast which left a lot to be desired. When it got to about 10.30am all the cooked food was unedible and other items needed filling up. The staff were not too happy to refill. I am probably being a little picky but it is not a cheap hotel and I would have liked to return someday.
Apart from my moans please all have a Happy New Year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
I am most pleased to hear that you have had an overall enjoyable experience at Sofitel London St James.

Indeed this end of year was extremely busy at the hotel. Some days were more crowded than others.

I however look forward to welcoming you back with our undivided attention.

Denis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Rome, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

When I stay at a hotel I never ask for room cleaning and towel change. It's because I don't want to be disturbed and I do not want to make unnecessary wastes using new towels day by day.
I always use the "do not disturb" tag on my door, so I have used it here at Sofitel as well.
Returning after a long day from the city, I realized that somebody was in my room and all the towels were changed. I was very upset, but I didn't make complaint than cause I had no time and energy for it.
The day after when I left my room I heard that somebody (I guess the manager of the housekeepers, who seemed to be Russian or something Eastern-European) was shouting to a housekeeper lady who denied to enter a room which was signed with "do not disturb" tag.
That was the time when I understood that the "obtrusion" to my room was not the decision of the housekeeper but this is the policy of this hotel!
This is shame!
I pay for a 5* hotel cause I would like to got what I WANT not what the manager thinks! That's why I use the tag on my door.
But it seems nobody cares about it at this hotel!
It was the last time I stayed at a Sofitel!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
I am truly sorry to hear about this incident. Allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Sometimes guests press this "Do Not Disturb" button without noticing it however please rest assured that I will liaise with the Executive Housekeeper about this issue in order to avoid any future occurence.

I hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back.

With my best regards,

Denis Dupart
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I love Sofitels . They always seem to be these elegant , refined , quiet oases in frantic city centres. St James Sofitel is a fine example . Great situation down from Piccadilly where you can park and unload outside without the fear of being towed away immediately . The hotel looks after the parking. Easy walikng to the west end.

Elegant rooms , nothing to disturb ones peace all over the hotel . Recommended.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Our first aim was to make a haven of peace for our guests and I am glad to hear that you have perfectly felt this atmosphere at Sofitel London St James.

I thank you for recommending the hotel to TripAdvisor surfers.

We then look forward to your next stay.

Devonport, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Great location for exploring London's West End. Very attentive staff. Room was a little smaller than expected and lacked any view but very comfortable. Accor benefits provided included free internet and late checkout.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Indeed we are centrally located however on the quiet Waterloo Place which is very convenient after a hectic day in the busy London.

I thank you for pointing out our very attentive staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I have generally found London hotels overpriced and disappointing. The Sofitel was terrific from the moment we arrived - the reception was extremely courteous and efficient, without being pretentious. Our room was lovely, had every comfort you needed and above all, was fantastically quiet - even though the surrounding rooms were occupied, you couldn't hear a sound from anywhere. This was ideal for us, as we are a bit noise sensitive to say the least. The hotel also went the extra mile - my visit was primarily to celebrate my birthday and when I arrived back at the hotel from afternoon shopping, there was a beautiful birthday cake and a red rose awaiting me in my room. This was a lovely, unexpected surprise and solely down the staff on reception picking up that it was my birthday when we were chatting about evening plans when we checked in at reception. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel and it will definitely be my first choice next time I stay in London.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
We were delighted to pleasantly surprise you with a birthday cake. We genuinely love to indulge all of our guests. We cannot help it.

Our central location is also one of our assets.

We then look forward to your next visit.

Denis

Been to Sofitel London St James? Share your experiences!