“Excellent staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel London St James

Save Saved
You added Sofitel London St James to your Saves list
Sofitel London St James
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Waterloo Place, London SW1Y 4AN, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Magnifique Breakfast
Ranked #20 of 1,062 Hotels in London
“Excellent staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Had a really good three nights at this Sofitel, well placed in the centre of London. It is in a beautiful old bank building. Slight problem with the room on arrival - the bed was right up against a wall so you could only enter from one side however this was rectified by moving us to another better laid our room. Got 3 nights for 2 so felt the price was pretty good for this level of hotel. Top marks for all of the staff but especially those in the cracking hotel bar who serve exceptional quality cocktails (try the caiparinhas) - it was really buzzing in the evenings. Would definitely stay again - hopefully in 2014.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
I thank you for making me feel so proud of my whole team.

Indeed we provide high standards of service in a genuine way. As it comes from the heart it goes to the heart!

I will cascade your praise to the team and especially to the St James Bar's.

We all look forward to welcoming you back.

Au revoir,

Denis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Bochum, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Nice place to be for a short stop in London.
We came for a gig and stayed pretty luxurious at the hub of the world.
The hotel is close to almost every single sightseeing place.
Buckingham Palace, Horse Guards, Trafalgar Square, the Thames, Leicester Square, Picadilly Circus, Regent Str. are all within easy walking distance. The rest could be reached via Tube.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
First of all I hope that the concert you have attended was fantastic!

Indeed our centrally located hotel is extremely convenient for both business and leisure stays.

Please don't wait for another gig to come over. We are so close to Germany...

We look forward to your next stay.

Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I booked a stay for my parents at the Sofitel St James to celebrate my Mother’s 70th birthday. I spent a lot of time researching hotels with a good location and this hotel is bang in the centre of things, although tucked away from the actual hustle and bustle. The booking team were fantastic and promised that they would take great care of my parents. It appears that they did exactly that. My parents have raved about their stay. Upon arrival they were upgraded to a fantastic room much to their appreciation.

During their stay my parents said that the staff were amazing, very attentive without being overbearing. They took my mother a celebratory birthday dessert to her room which she said was divine. They also thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast, which my father reported served the best black pudding he’d ever tasted.

My parents could not recommend this hotel enough, and I’m looking forward to staying there too in the very near future.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
We thank you to have booked Sofitel London St James for the celebration of your mother's 70th birthday. It is quite an occasion! This is the reason why we have genuinely pampered your parents.

We truly like our guests and they can feel it.

We now look forward to welcoming you.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I've just read the Jan 2012 Afternoon Tea review on trip advisor and I am surprised by the expectations of your previous guest. You do not go for afternoon tea expecting to come out feeling like you've had a three course meal - you go for delicacies - and delicacies are what you get. My mother and I visited yesterday as a pre-Christmas treat - the rose lounge is small, but makes it feel more intimate than other venue (for example, the Savoy which incidentally is more expensive). We booked, which was just as well, and on arrival left our shopping and coats with the friendly bell boy. The lobby area has some wonderful bronze statutes which we both were taken by, and then some smaller ones on plinths going through the corridors. It was a shame that they had had to be chained to the stands by this is me being particular.

We had the champagne cocktail which was delicate and fragrant, and the full afternoon tea. There were four varieties of sandwich, three varieties of scones served with clotted cream, a very nice jam (strawberry and geranium I think), and lemon curd. The scones are small so you can manage the three each, and were a little on the firm side. I suspect they were warm on arrival but we took our time over the cocktail and sandwiches so they had cooled - the firmness is my only criticism of the tea itself. We selected different teas - I had earl grey, and my mum, the Sofitel special blend which smelt (and apparently tasted) beautiful. I am supposed to enquire if it is available to purchase!! The oriental sized black pots contained a good three cupfuls each - and we were then topped up.

We were then offered a selection of five different full sized cakes. We both chose different ones - I had a chocolate covered lemon moose that was lovely, and my mum a white chocolate 'bomb' for want of a better description. The white chocolate bomb contained pear moose and was covered in coconut. Mum chose a macaroon as her second cake, and I a creme brûlée. We asked if we might take our second cakes home owing to a blood sugar overload, and they were promptly returned in nice little boxes and bagged!!

The harpist played beautifully throughout. It was wonderful, would highly recommend.

Room Tip: We didn't stay - accidentally entered a rating on 'sleep quality' and couldn't remov...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
What a lovely feedback! I thank you for such delicate lines so full of praise.

I am truly pleased to read your attention to all the details that we have implemented to make your Afternoon Tea a magnifique experience.

We look forward t welcoming you and your mother for another Afternoon Tea. I am sure you would also be positively surprised by our refined cuisine at our restaurant The Balcon.

Brno, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

One of the best hotels I've been to in London, at least in this price range. Not a budget place by any means but the service was superb, staff really helpful and doing their best, rooms really large (by London standards - I guess that would translate as 'acceptable' to my American friends) also the restaurant and bar was good. Also the location can hardly be better, most theaters and museums as well as shopping locations are walking distance. The only thing that 'surprised' my daughters were some of the sculptures ;)
Overall a great experience and if I get a decent deal when I am in London again, I will definitely stay here. Maybe even the deal is not so decent ;)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
I am really glad to read that Sofitel London St James is definitely "one of the best hotels in London".

Our priority is to offer to all of our guests a warm service so they feel at home away from home.

I am pleased to hear that you have very much enjoyed our restaurant The Balcon as well as the St James Bar.

Oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

This hotel is in a great location, and is within easy walking distance of all the tourist highlights. Service is very relaxed and informal, which is refreshing, and you are certainly made to feel welcome.

Our room was incredibly quiet, which is rare in an old city hotel, and my only criticism is that it was rather too warm, despite turning the aircon down to minimum (which had no discernable effect). This was not a major problem though, and I am sure that if we had reported the issue it would have been resolved quickly. Unfortunately, if you want to sleep you can't really open the window, as it is far too noisy in the city for us country dwellers.

There is no car park at the hotel, but the concierge will valet park your car for you in a nearby carpark for around 50 GBP for 24hrs. That seems quite reasonable for central London.

The hotel will email you before you visit to check if you have any special requirements, and even arranged (completely free of charge) a small birthday treat for my wife when I told them we were celebrating her birthday. A nice touch.

Overall, I would thoroughly recommend this friendly, luxurious hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I am really pleased to hear that we have provided you with the highest standards of service in a warm and genuine approach.

We wish our guests to feel as comfortable as at home and warmly serviced. We have then achieved our aim and I thank you for pointing that out.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon in your centrally located Sofitel London St James.

Au revoir,

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Just back from three days at this discrete, stylish hotel. I booked because of the reviews and my stays at other Sofitels in Washington and New York; this one is clearly the best. In net, the experience was wholly satisfying on all fronts: luxurious, professional, yet filled with warm human touches ... a delightful splurge that I’d happily repeat at any time.

PROS:

Peaceful central location, very near (but not in) Trafalgar and Picadilly, within easy walking range of galleries, the Eye, theater district and Covent Garden, shopping; courteous, efficient, friendly staff delivering the highest level of service throughout the hotel, notably at the concierge position; spotless, tasteful, quiet rooms, with heavenly beds and linens (and, I couldn't help noticing, Hermes toiletries); large, delicious breakfasts at the hotel's Balcon restaurant, which is highly Zagat-rated in its own right; a cozy bar with relatively reasonable drink prices and informal eating options; a very well-equipped gym. The hotel is to be commended for providing free Internet access that is perfectly adequate for web browsing and Skype, etc, as all hotels at this level should (but rarely do).

CONS:

Essentially none. It’s London, so (1) the rooms are a bit compact and (2) not inexpensive; but Sofitel delivers corresponding value. There wasn’t much of a view through my specific window.

TIPS:

My rate included breakfast, which was much cheaper than daily purchase. Many flights from North America land early in the morning, as did mine. The front desk staff was kind enough to find me a room on arrival at 11:00 AM, to my vast relief as I wasn’t sure I’d still have been awake at the usual check-in time. (Other hotels are known to try to force the exhausted traveller to purchase another full day for the same thing.)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for so much praise in your magnifique feedback. Indeed we try our utmost to satisfy all guests requests and even beyond their expectations.

I thank you also for pointing out our highest standards of service throughout the hotel.

We truly look forward to welcoming you back soon.

A très bientôt.

Denis

Been to Sofitel London St James? Share your experiences!