“Heavenly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel London St James

Save Saved
You added Sofitel London St James to your Saves list
Sofitel London St James
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Waterloo Place, London SW1Y 4AN, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #18 of 1,075 hotels in London
Melbourne, Australia
“Heavenly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

During my recent trip to London, my lovely host realised that her spare room had accidentally been overbooked for a night. I said: "Excellent! I'm going to have a really indulgent stay in a fabulous hotel, with spa treatments, and lots of cocktails. If that sounds appealing to you, I would love for you to join me as my guest."

I have stayed at the Sofitel Melbourne a few times, and now it is my favourite place to take out-of-town guests for afternoon tea. But as much as I enjoy the Melbourne property, it did not prepare me at all for how wonderful the Sofitel St James was.

The property itself is beautiful, and all the amenities are to the highest standard. Every staff member I interacted with was perfection: friendly, helpful, warm, impeccably professional. The impression given was that it was absolutely delightful to be of assistance.

We enjoyed the atmosphere and service in the Rose Lounge, sipping tea and delicious hot chocolate and nibbling on delicate afternoon tea treats. Frankly, if I were local, I would be visiting the Rose Lounge to sit and catch up with friends weekly.

My friend and I had the traditional hamam scrubs with one hour massages at the SO Spa. The experience was divine, particularly the "recovery room" where we were served boutique tea and allowed to rest quietly after the treatment.

Dinner at The Balcon restaurant was a highlight of my entire trip to the UK. I live to eat, so I could barely contain my delight at the impressive seasonal produce, cooked to perfection. A smoked trout and blood orange salad was so light and balanced and vibrant that I wish I were eating it right now. But my main of lemon sole in brown butter with capers quickly shot up to my top ten list of memorable meals.

My friend and I then spent a very long evening in the bar, drinking cocktails and catching up on our lives, everything that has changed in the two years since she moved to the UK. Every cocktail was delicious, the service was memorably wonderful, and as I have been telling everyone with disbelief since I returned: the bar snacks are truffles. Because when you're drinking sweet wines and cocktails, the staff want to palate-match the bar snacks. Amazing.

The room was very comfortable and perfectly quiet. Lovely bathroom, plenty of clothes storage space, fantastic shower, etc.

Finally, the only quibbles I have:

1) I booked through the Sofitel St James website, but despite specifically booking a room with 2 singles, and re-confirming this on check-in, the bed was made up as a king, and we had to ask reception to split the beds after turn-down service.

2) When booking the spa treatments, I was specifically asked if we would like joint or separate rooms for the massage. I requested separate, but again, we were put into a joint treatment room for the massage.

3) Breakfast in the restaurant wasn't quite up to the standard of the previous experiences, but in my experience, hotel breakfasts never exceed expectations. Also it is a little confusing if you want eggs (they need to be ordered separately from the buffet), and the waitstaff did not volunteer to explain how it worked -- as a result my friend accidentally ended up with two breakfasts.

4) The temperature of the hotel was uncomfortably warm. Luckily this could be adjusted in the bedroom.

5) No top sheets/flat sheets were provided for the beds. This was an unpleasant surprise, only discovered when I was incredibly tired and actually climbing into bed. The bed was also so soft that I'm not sure I would be comfortable sleeping on it for more than one night.

These quibbles were all extremely minor, and the stay can simply be summed up as heavenly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
We were all impressed by your feedback and we thank you for so many compliments regarding our genuine attention when looking after our guests.

I thank you for pointing out the So-SPA being "divine" as well as the St James Bar and our restaurant The Balcon.

I took good note of your constructive remarks and will make sure it does not happen again during your future stays.

A très bientôt,

2,420 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

the Staff at Sofitel St James could not have made us feel more welcome or cherished. They were warm, kind and welcoming. We have a fabulous experience from the moment we walked through the door to the moment we left. I could not recommend this Hotel too highly. Everything was of the highest order; the welcome, the spa, the massage, the room, and the oh so comfortable beds. My daughter will remember her 21st birthday weekend for the rest of her life - and for all the right reasons.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for such marvellous a feedback. All the team and I have read it with great enthusiasm!

It was a delight to have pleasantly surprised your daughter for her 21st birthday.

We look forward to your next stay with the family.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed here 4 nights--a spectacular experience. Welcome drink on check-in. Free WiFi. Large rooms with great amenities, super quiet and extra-comfy bed and pillows. Can't beat the location, right off of Regent street, close to Picadilly and Charing Cross stations, Trafalgar square, National Gallery, and the theater district.

Extra-clean rooms--I forgot and left the "do not disturb" light on when we left for the day, and they triple checked that we were not in the room, came in and cleaned, and then left a note explaining the situation. Nice!

The Balcon restaurant is very nice but expensive for lunch--a much better deal for dinner. The food and service are great!

I've stayed here twice and plan on returning. A world-class hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
The whole team and I were delighted to hear that you have had such a "spectacular experience" at Sofitel London St James.

We love to look after our guests and their satisfaction is our utmost reward.

I can tell that Sofitel Luxury Hotels has achieved its goal in taking you to sleep like onto fluffy clouds. Did you know that you can also purchase this unique bed concept for your home?

We look forward to your third stay.

A bientôt,

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had notified the hotel that we'd be arriving in London early (after 24+ hours of travelling) and that we were getting married on our trip. When we arrived, we were able to check-in early, which really gave us a whole extra day in London because we could have a shower and feel human again before going to explore. That night, they surprised us in our room with champagne and cake to celebrate our wedding. The hotel itself was very well-located - we were able to walk to many locations, and it was close to Piccadilly Circus station. The room was spacious (for London) and well-appointed. The concierge was helpful. The only downside was the wi-fi, which was very slow and could only be used on one device at a time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
We try our utmost to accommodate our guests at the earliest convenience however it is based upon availability. I am happy to hear that we could do so on this occasion.

It was a pleasure to surprise you both with special attentions to celebrate your wedding.

I thank you pointing out our helpful concierges. Indeed they know everything about London.

We look forward to your next visit.

Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Nothing like arriving in London from Australia to a warm welcome and the comfiest of Sofitel beds. Great rooms and stunning bathroom - all just a hop, skip and a jump from Picadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, Regent St Shopping, Soho bars and restaurants. Is an excellent location for all the main galleries - Royal Academy, National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery and Courtauld. Restaurant Le Balcon is an absolute treat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We wanted Sofitel London St James to be a luxurious, cozy haven of peace. I am glad to hear that you have very much enjoyed the atmosphere we have created in here.

The Executive Chef and I felt really proud when reading your satisfaction with the food served at the restaurant The Balcon. Indeed we serve only the freshiest seasonal products on the market.

A très bientôt,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I booked a special offer with expida, you know the rating of the hotel but not the name until you've booked and we ended up with The St James Hotel and we wasn't disappointed. I had read the room would be the smallest so I emailed the hotel and up-graded before our arrival. Beautiful hotel with a great bar right in the centre of the west end. Hermes toiletries turn down service, however be very careful with the mini bar its truly truly over priced. i didn't even look at the cost of a can of diet coke and had 2 which cost £10.00 yes £10.00 for two cans of coke!!!!! However we did have a great weekend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I thank you for your positive feedback and for pointing out your very good impressions about Sofitel London St James.

The St James Bar is one of our prides in the premises. The place is very much in vogue.

Denis

Been to Sofitel London St James? Share your experiences!