“I would thoroughly recommend this place to anybody.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel London St James

You added Sofitel London St James to your Saves list
Sofitel London St James
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Waterloo Place, London SW1Y 4AN, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 30% OFF THIS WINTER
Ranked #20 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Geneva, Switzerland
“I would thoroughly recommend this place to anybody.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

The hotel is very nice. Our room was adequate in size, the linen and towels were cvery good, and the 'turn down service' left some cake and a weather forecast . We had a complementary bottle of water and wine in the room when we arrived and a birthday card. The staff were very helpful ans smiley. Breakfast and the cheese and wine reception were plentiful - not having to search for a breakfast location every morning was a nice start to the day. Being able to have 24hr access to tea and coffee in the reading room was also a nice addition.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience
I am glad that you appreciated the turn down service, the birthday gifts, the weather forecast along with the bottles of wine and water.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Sofitel London St James.
Denis Dupart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Gloucestershire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

On our first morning of our most recent stay at the Sofitel St James, I was woken by the sound of a shriek from my husband, who had a surprise cold water soaking from the shower - reminding me that I really should read my reviews of previous stays at an hotel to be forewarned about such things! I had made an observation about the very high water pressure and unreliable hand held shower heads on my review of our last visit, but clearly, another reminder was needed to reinforce that learning! We'd already had one "revisit", being assigned room 508 at first, which was our least favourite room in the hotel: We requested an alternative and on this occasion found ourselves in 127 - a generously sized room with a view of a small courtyard. Well, at least we weren't overlooked.

As usual, the comfort and amenities are superb and any niggles about this and that are soon resolved after a great night's sleep in the most comfortable bed. It is for this reason that we return to the Sofitel, for the convenience of the location for sure, but also for the high standards of service and level of comfort. There remain two mysteries however: firstly, the inability for Sofitel to incorporate valet parking charges into the hotel bill, for some reason, resulting in an irritating secondary transaction upon departure. The second was a one off - on our last night, the duvet appeared to have shrunk and our kingsize bed was made up with a double sized duvet. Most odd - but returning to the hotel at midnight meant it was too late to do anything about it.

Never mind...maybe next time, we'll remember the water pressure and our stay will be perfect?

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I travel to London frequently and this was my first time at the Sofitel London St James and it will definitely not be my last.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the location is ideal. You are steps away from St. James Park, Piccadilly Circus and a short walk to Buckingham Palace.

The room was quite comfortable and very clean. The size was also larger than many of the rooms I've stayed in while traveling in London. The turn down service was a nice touch and I enjoyed the complimentary chocolates upon my arrival.

What impressed me most was the high level of service. I arrived early and my room was not ready but the receptionist kindly let me utilize the shower in the gym (which was very nice). I also had a mishap with my luggage that required maintanance to cut the lock from my luggage. They were very accommodating and prompt, which was very much appreciated.

My only complaint was the numerous follow up wake up calls. I set an automatic wake up call each morning and 10 minutes following someone would call to see if I received it. One day they called 3 times which was excessive. That is a minor complaint that can easily be fixed.

I would highly recommend this hotel and will be sure to return again during my next stay in London!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share the recent experience you have had at Sofitel London St James.
I am pleased to hear that you appreciated the friendliness of the staff, the comfort of your room as well as our central London location.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Sofitel London St James.

Best regards,

Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Me and my wife spend 3 great nights and enjoyed every moment.
The hotel is very well located and we much enjoyed the 5 minutes' walk to all major theaters. in addition the staff is amazing and do all it efforts to make you feel welcome.
It is lovely place to spend if you are looking to spoil yourself .
the breakfast however is overpriced and you can easily get it somewhere else just outside the hotel (cafe etc..)

Room Tip: the breakfast is overpriced and you can easily get it somewhere else just outside the hotel (cafe e...
Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Sofitel St James is centrally located for the top London tourist attractions but is slightly on the southerly edge of the main shopping in Regent and Oxford streets being a good 10 minute walk to the start of the main shopping area and 5 minutes to the nearest Underground at Piccadilly Circus. Cabs are, however, readily available.
The outstanding feature of this Sofitel is the universally high level of pleasant but largely unobtrusive service from Doorman through Reception to dining. The rooms are a touch on the small side - we took a Deluxe and found the bathroom definitely smallish. Other than that a good night's sleep can be had in quiet and comfortable surroundings.
This Sofitel, with its touch of Gallic charm won't disappoint.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
I am delighted that you have enjoyed your London break and you made the most of our perfect central location.
I look forward to welcoming you again.
Kind regards,

Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Beautiful boutique hotel, great location (2 min walk to St James Park, 5 min walk to the theatre district and Piccadilly Circus; 10 min walk to Buckingham Palace), comfortable quiet rooms, amazing service and lots of great little perks - e.g., they turn down your sheets and leave bottled water each evening while you are out enjoying dinner/show. Real pleasure to come back to after a day of touring/meetings or catching a show. It will be hard to stay anywhere else when we return to London.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
I am glad to hear that you felt very well looked after by the entire team and that you have very much enjoyed your stay with us
We certainly hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Jersey Ci
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

The service we received from the hotel was excellent. The doormen were helpful and welcoming. The reception staff were efficient and eager to please. We had stayed at the hotel before and were disappointed with the room we had received on this occasion(more of that later). The receptionist checked on their system which room we stayed last time and arranged for us to be moved to a similar room. Room service was quick and friendly.
The original room we were allocated was on the sixth room. Apart from the view being limited there was nothing wrong with it and it was more than adequate. However having had a room over- looking the front of the hotel last time this was what we wanted. The room we had was comfortable and decorated to a high standard. Although we had two beds pushed together to make a twin the beds were really comfortable and felt clean. Hardly heard any traffic noise.
We had an excellent meal in the restaurant where again the staff were friendly and efficient without being over familiar.
If you want to be in central London the location could not be better being a stone's throw from Piccadilly and Trafalgar Square.
If you take a car it is worth knowing that in the evenings and on Sundays there is free parking immediately outside and close to the hotel. There is a NCP close by and whilst I drove my car and parked it there I would recommend you take up the hotel's offer of parking the car for you for a small fee. I missed the entrance to the car-park first time round which meant a circular route around Trafalgar Square.
Will definitely be staying there again the next time we go to London,

Room Tip: Second floor facing front of hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely feedback, we certainly hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back.
I am glad to hear that you felt the hotel was wonderful and the room was to your satisfaction.

Denis Dupart

Been to Sofitel London St James? Share your experiences!