“Just OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure London Kensington

You added Mercure London Kensington to your Saves list
Mercure London Kensington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1a Lexham Gardens | Kensington, London W8 5JJ, England (South Kensington)   |
Ranked #406 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Disappointed that there wasn't a single smoking room in this hotel. I know most people don't want them but for people who do smoke it would be nice. Very expensive for what it was but rooms were nice.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Linforth, Duty Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear Coronalaura,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. We are a non-smoking hotel, although we do have an assigned area outside at the front of the hotel which may be used for smoking. We appreciate that there are guests who still prefer to smoke in their bedrooms but another consideration for our decision was based on fire safety.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Kindest Regards,

Duty Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Hebrew first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Great value for the location (one of the cheapest in kensington) although the quality was not compromised. Although we booked a twin room and got a double bed which they were unable to change however the receptionist was very apologetic. The breakfast was delicious and provided pancakes, cereal, fruits and a full English! Would recommend this hotel

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Linforth, Duty Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Sinead M.,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure London Kensington. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Yours sincerely,
Sunderland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Tried to get a twin room here when the one we were booked into was dreadful (read Tara Copthorne.). The Mercure website and their central reservation system was saying they had a twin room for 2 nights so I walked down to have a look at the room. The guy on reception said they only had a twin room for the one night. After a very confusing 3 way conversation between their central reservation, the receptionist and me I gave up. The explanation was that the Mercure Kensington was a 'franchise' hotel and I could not book rooms through the main Mercure online website or central reservation although I clearly could! Bizarre.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Avidtraveller57,

Thank you for taking time to post your review. I was disappointed to read that you had a poor experience with our reservations.

Please accept my sincere apologies as our aim is always to help in any time our guests.

I will address your concerns for the Reservations Manager that will ensure other guests are not similarly inconvenienced in the future.

I hope you will not judge us solely on this experience and will be inclined to use our hotel again.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

The Mercure London Kensington is exactly what you would expect - it's a standard hotel, clean, compact and serviceable. Perfect for the solo traveller and located in a lovely area of London. The hotel was fine, but did not inspire. The hotel breakfast was very nice, though. Internet was ok.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Linforth, Duty Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Dear FrancoiseAUS76,

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback. We are deligthed to read that you enjoyed your stay.

We are gratful for your positive comments and look forward to welcoming you bakc on many occasions.

Kindest Regards,

Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Hubby and I were booked in here for two nights - we were really looking forward to our stay, but oh dear, what a disappointment. Although I had booked a standard double, we were given a "small double", not enough room for two people at all. The bathroom was very small, so much so sitting on the loo was rather uncomfortable. Put it this way, you had to lean to the right to avoid knocking into the toilet roll holder! You could not even get undressed in there. Overall the room was claustrophobic. They gave me a reduction after I complained, and talking to other guests who were given the small rooms they felt the same. The lift became out of order on the first night, and when we left 2 days later it was still out of action. I am pleased we were on the 3rd floor not the 6th! Overall for a 4 star hotel it was disappointing and won't be recommending it to anyone. On a plus, the staff were friendly.

Room Tip: If and when you book, PLEASE confirm with them the size of room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Lynnee_11,

Thank you for taking time to tell us about your stay in our hotel, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experinece did not meet your expectations.

Unfortunately our main lift was out of order for 3 days. It was a situation that was out of our control but, this issue has now been resolved. I can imagine that this was very inconvenient for you and I would like to express my sincere apologies.

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us.

Gilnahirk, null, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

I was booked in here for a meeting nearby by a company. The room is the smallest I have ever stayed in. I feel like Harry Potter! The room was marketed as a double yet couldn't have fitted a double bed in. Three quarter at best. At £215 a night this is a joke. Would not recommend to anyone. To cap it all lift was broken and I was on top floor but I don't suppose anyone can mitigate against this. It only only contributes to my negative feeling about this place. Avoid!

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Linforth, Duty Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear Matt M.,

Thank you for taking time to address your concerns regarding your stay with us.

I am disappointed to see that your experience did not meet your expectations. We pride ourselves on our standards of service and our dedication to assist at any time.

Indeed our small doubles are very compact; however we have other rooms that are far more spacious. My personal suggestion for future stays would be to book one of our king executive rooms as they are spacious and accommodate a king size bed.

Unfortunately our main lift was out of order for the duration of 2 days/nights. It was a situation that was out of our control and we tried our best to offer assistance to our guests. I can imagine that this was very inconvenient for you and I would like to express my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

This issue has now been resolved and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure London Kensington and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

I hope you not judge us for that matter only on this experience and that you will be inclined to use our hotel in the future.

Windsor, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I booked to stay in the Mercure, Kensington for one night over a weekend. Having used Mercure previously both in the UK and through Europe, I had trust in their brand and had always experienced good quality hotels and customer service.

We arrived within the stated check in time, but quite late on in the evening at about 11pm (we had seen a show, had dinner etc). Upon arrival, we were told that our pre-booked and pre-paid for room was unavailable, due to flooding. Obviously this kind of incident can't be helped, so I had asked what alternative rooms were available. Unfortunately there were no other rooms, and the receptionist advised that we would have to move to the Mercure hotel in Paddington, where a complimentary coffee would be waiting for us.

Ignoring that fact that a complimentary Espresso at midnight was not exactly the ideal blow softener, I asked if there was a hotel nearer to Kensington - a location that we'd specifically chosen. I was told there was not, without further explanation. At this point I grew suspicious of the 'flood' story and asked to see the room - I was told this was not possible. To me it was clear that Mercure had taken the paid booking, seen that we had not arrived and checked in, assumed that we would not turn up, and then sold our room to somebody else. I relayed my suspicion to the receptionist, who proceeded to point me to an A3 page of terms and conditions and book me a taxi to Paddington - complimentary of course! At this point I simply asked for a refund - after all we were not getting the room that we had paid and booked for, and I certinaly did not want to stay anywhere near a Mercure hotel that evening. I was told this was not possible, and again pointed towards the terms and conditions. To me, paying for something and not receiving it gives you the right to request your money back.

I laid out my complaint to Mercure in email form, but never received a response from them - further adding to my frustration.

All in all, the entire experience was a demonstration in deplorable customer service from beginning to end. I would never stay with Mercure hotels again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Mercure London Kensington? Share your experiences!