“Excellent hotel with an intimate ambience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Conrad London St. James

You added Conrad London St. James to your Saves list
Conrad London St. James
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22-28 Broadway, London SW1H 0BH, England (Formerly InterContinental London Westminster) (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Special Offer
Save 30% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #37 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Reading, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel with an intimate ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed on a Saturday night in a wonderful heat wave. The cooling interior was very welcoming as you entered. Check in was efficient and friendly (often you can feel "just another guest" - but not so here). We were shown to the lifts - we declined being shown to the room although it was offered. We had been upgraded to a small suite which was wonderful , especially as we were staying on a "reward" night so we were not paying.
The room was quite large for London, very contemporary, beautiful linen/cushions, bed very comfortable, electronic drapes, well stocked hospitality tray with fresh milk not the horrible little cartons you often get and an nespresso machine, There were satin padded,hangers to use, a must in my opinion, umbrella, robes, slippers etc. All good.
The bathroom was huge, shower amazing (rain shower or standard) and there were good quality Molton Brown products available.
Staff were very friendly and helpful. There was a harpist accompanying the guests taking afternoon tea - lovely. We didn't eat at the hotel, having other arrangements so am unable to comment on that.
Our room was quiet, facing the street on the first floor. However it was the weekend and so very little traffic generally in this area. It may be there will be some road noise if you stay mid week. Also, you could hear the slight rumble of the tube trains - you are very close to St James Park underground. It did not disturb my sleep but I was aware of it once I was awake although when the radio is on you don't really notice it. It may not be heard on higher levels.
Would I stay again - YES. It is also very convenient for most of London and easy walking distance to Parliament, Piccadilly, Mayfair and West End.

Room Tip: Try a room on a higher level as they less likely to hear tube rumble
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
cali
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

service was off the charts, rooms were very new with all the latest technology, amenities.
Excellent beds, such a great hotel will definitely go back. One thing about ICHotels I don't like
over startwood is their perks to their guests. No suite upgrades for a platinum ambassador is a joke, Love this hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My girl friend from Fort Myers Florida was staying at the hotel and invited me to join her for the weekend great! Arrived at the hotel about 12:30 and requested they ring the room to let my friend know I was there, First I was told that there was no one in that room with the name I gave them, then they told me there was no answer and that they couldn't let me into the room for security reasons. That is all fair enough, but it turns out that my friend was in the room all the time, the phone never rang, there was no message left on the answering machine and it was only the person on the front desk who had 'assumed' that my friend was still out which lead me to sit in the hotel reception until my friend had the foresight to come and look for me an hour and a half later! Sadly this then had a big impact on the rest of our stay. They say you never get a second chance to give a first impression, how right they are! The concierge with 30 years experience could also do with a customer service refresher course.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Review weekend of July 12-14 2013
We arrived at the hotel a full 3 hours before check in time and were immediately checked in and upgraded to a suite as they were aware it was our wedding anniversary.
First opinion of the hotel is very new, clean and modern with the staff can’t do enough to help you.
The reception check in was very very efficient and friendly, we were shown to our room and asked if we would like a description and explanation of the various things within the room.

Our upgraded room was a Suite with a living room and bathroom then upstairs we had the bathroom and a large bedroom. 2 plasma TV’s, a working desk, settees etc.
The suite was really big size for London. A nice touch was the Nespresso machine in the room with capsules which were topped up daily. There was also a small bottle of milk in the fridge which was better than the horrendous milk capsules. Bottled water also supplied. We arrived in the middle of a heat wave and the air conditioning was excellent. All the blinds were electronic
The bathroom had a large bath and walk in rain shower which was fantastic once you got the idea of how the controls worked. There was also a Bose speaker in the bathroom. The quality touches of this hotel are second to none, from the appearance of a bowl of Belgian chocolates in our suite with "Happy Anniversary" inscribed in chocolate to the Harp player in the lobby bar at tea time.
Quite an expensive hotel but if you like a touch of luxury then this is the place to stay. The hotel is right outside the St. James Park tube station (Take the "Park" exit out of the tube and the hotel is right in front of you) which made it easy to go anywhere however the hotel is in such a place you can walk anywhere really easily and quickly. Its 1 minute walk to the Westminster Abbey and the Houses of Parliament (Big Ben) and a five minute walk over the bridge to the London Eye.
We have travelled all over Europe and USA and this is one of the best located and best quality hotels we have ever stayed in. If you can afford that little extra then this is the place to stay provide you can get it at the right price as the prices fluctuate between reasonable for this type of hotel to ridiculous money.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Room Tip: If it is a special occassion book direct off the website of the hotel and ensure they are made aware...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

the hotel is in good location, very helpful staff, nice ambiance, tasty breakfast, good connectivity just near St. James park station, spacious room and bathroom.

Plus point# all the staff member were very polite and helpful.

This hotel has everything 5 star quality.
My hotel stay was worth it.
I would like to stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for room near elevator. there are few rooms which are far from elevator.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Swords, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed here two nights with my mother and 7 year old nephew 6th to 8th of July.

Not sure where to start to be honest but let me start with the reason for my overall rating of 1:

BIG FAIL...and hotel doesn't seem to care: On the Sunday morning the fire alarm went off at about 6:30am and turned out to a full evacuation. Got dressed and left through the nearest fire exit with what seemed like the majority of guests ending up in Toothill street at the side of the hotel. NOT A SINGLE STAFF MEMBER ANYWHERE TO BE SEEN! No one to guide people out and no one to tell us what was going on/to do next. Many guests in particular the children were very frightened.

I unsuccessfully raised this issue to the front desk who didn't seem to care, neither did the manager I was put through to. Emails to their task ID and to junior manager who I spoke to in person have remained unanswered to date. Such an epic fail in relation to basic fire evacuation procedures is inexcusable for any hotel regardless of star rating.

Other pros and cons:

Good:

Am a platinum ambassador member and treated us to a highend room in combination with the complimentary weekend certificate. The Studio suite was immaculate and spacious. Best touch was cuddly toy and kids activity pack in room + kid size bathrobe. Very nice Molton Brown toiletries.

Also had access to Club Lounge which is the best I've ever used in no small part thanks to staff there - in particular Linda who made us feel very welcome.

Hotel is distinctly 5 star but not stiff and unwelcoming like many other 5 star hotels in London.

Location is also ideal for exploring London. Most big sites around the corner + St James tube station directly across the hotel.

Other things that were less good:

- Stay away from the 'home made' chunky chips. Awful! Order fries instead

- Room rates far too high despite quality and location!

- Would tend to agree with cmd108 who must have stayed the same night that a token gesture from the hotel for the 3 hour racket of fire alarms going off after the main event mentioned above would have been good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear TravellingViking1977,

Thank you for being a Platinum Ambassador member and leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations.

I am sorry to hear about your experience at our property. I hope you can believe me when I say that your experience is not the norm in our hotel. i sincerely apologize for the poor experience and service issues you had during your stay. Our team pays special to our Ambassador members and deeply regret that we were not able to provide you with the highest level of service our elite members deserve.

Your experience is definitely not reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves with. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. Your patronage and support to the hotel are very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We loved this hotel for many reasons: beautiful, great location right across from St. James tube station, new, luxury rooms with amazing beds, comforters and pillows, great technology, free wifi, nice minibars, etc. But a few things were not so great that the hotel needs to work on: (1) our room (353) was able to hear all of the garbage truck loading/unloading in the back alley; my father's room was an interior room and did not have this issue; (2) one morning, a fire alarm went off at 6:20am. My husband and I got dressed, grabbed passports and before heading downstairs called the front desk to see if it was a false alarm. It was, and no announcement followed indicating a false alarm. Eventually the alarm went off. To make matters worse, the alarm went off falsely off and on for 3 (THREE) more hours!!!! and an announcement was never made, no apology was ever made, no mention at all. I am/was pregnant, and we had Wimbledon plans that day, and given my lack of sleep things did not go well. No credit or anything was issued. (3) The housekeeper never cleaned or removed any glasses that had anything in them. I had a glass of orange juice sitting in the room for an entire day (they come 2x a day) until I finally set it outside in the hallway. They did the same thing again with a glass of water. It was just never cleaned. Very odd. (4) I joined the Ambassador program at the end of May. For some reason it did not register with the "system". When I was in Boston, the woman at the front desk saw the confirmation email and updated my status. At this London IC, the woman at the front desk said "I'm sorry, the system isn't registering." All I wanted was my water and basket of fruit, which my father got (he and I registered on the same day.) So obviously they have some service kinks to work out, but the physical hotel is awesome, really pretty, new modern and luxurious. The food options are not great though. We never ate at either the lounge or the restaurant after a less than average but expensive breakfast. Fortunately there is a Starbucks, Pret a Manger, convenience store and another coffee place within a block (many food options, even a pub next door.) I would stay here again, with slightly lower service expectations.

Room Tip: Not facing the alley with the garbage trucks.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Conrad London St. James? Share your experiences!