“Average Pakistani food” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Needoo Grill

Needoo Grill
87 New Road, London E1 1HH, England (Whitechapel)
020 7247 0648
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Whitechapel
“Average Pakistani food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I have been to Tayyabs a few times and I found the queues were always too long so this is the place we headed with the work lot after reading a few reviews... I do have to say this place is ok at best, Tayyabs do have the edge on the overall quality of the food though. The Sheek kebabs were ok(only lamb, no chicken option), the dry lamb curry was also ok but the "keema" chicken was a little dodgy to look at and to taste, personally I thought the menu was lacking a little. The decor was a little night clubby for my liking... the service was good, the waiter advised us a little so we didn't over-order, but the dodgy chicken(keema) dish wasn't eaten by nobody, so we still ended up wasting it.

.. maybe that's just the spoilt me talking as the Pakistani/Indian food we get in South London/Tooting/Croydon has always been better than what you get in East/West London.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Norwich, UK
“Don't be decieved by the looks!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

On a recent visit to London we decided to try this restaurant after discovering some reviews on the Internet.

Firstly this is not a fine dining experience. The place is a little run down and the state of the restaurant and toilets is not the greatest.

The service was also just OK, seems to be a bit of a language barrier going on!

There were quite a few people in here and it did seem popular.

Now onto the best bit ..... the food!

The food was great, we had the mixed grill to start and poppadums and even though everything was very spicy it was cooked to perfection and extremely tasty. It was hot though! The yogurt dip that comes with the poppadums caught us out as that obviously had something spicy in it, that we were not expecting!!!

After a bit of help deciphering the menu and trying not to order anything too hot and spicy. We both got chicken dishes in sauces and they were very nice. I have now seen on here about having the dried meat so will try that next time, yes there will be a next time!

A work on the pilau rice it was AMAZING! I have never had rice that light, fluffy and tasty before.

All in all, a really tasty meal with a good value price tag.

• Visited November 2012
London
“Great meats, only let down by the Naan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

1. Go to Needoo
2. Try the dry meat
3. Vow to never visit another curry house again
4. Try the Naan
5. Maybe Tayyabs next time

Okay - the dry meat here is consistently one of the best meat curries around (in this price range). So much so that I haven't tried much else on the menu, except the lamb chops, which (dare I say it) beat Tayyabs and Lahore Kebab House for outright flavour.

The only one thing which lets this place down is the Naan bread. The first time I thought it was too crispy, but assumed it was just a once off. On all of my returns it's been the same. The bottom of the Naan is hard and crispy - far too crispy. It's a shame, but you have to get the Naan right to be 5 stars.

The thing I love about this place is you can reserve a table on a Friday or Saturday night and walk in without queueing - you couldn't even imagine doing that at Tayyabs!

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“fabulous restaurant, busy but worth the wait”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I visited this restaurant with 12 of my international colleagues, who were in London for a conference. The food was cheap, excellent and plentiful and the waiting staff really looked after us well despite having lots of different demands to deal with. I would definitely visit again, especially good is the chicken and the chilli paneer. We wanted a cheap lively and fun night away from our conference venue and this was perfect. Perhaps not so suitable for a formal business dinner.

• Visited October 2012
“Very good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Needoo is a major force in the curry mecca that is Whitechapel. Right around the corner from Tayyabs this place in my opinion, delivers consistently top quality food. Working around the corner from this gem I have had the opportunity to sample much of the menu and I proudly suggest it to anyone with a penchant for spicy, meaty, delicious curry and meat dishes. Comparing Needoo and Tayyabs is easy as they have almost identical menus however my vote goes to Needoo for their consistency, more visiting-friendly dining rooms, and friendliness of the owner operator. Unfortunately, I have come across other staff members who seem to care less and sometime are quite rude but in an industry with such high turnover and for a place with such good food I can forgive this. If you haven't then I think you should, check this place out!

• Visited October 2012