“So oily” 1 of 5 stars

Description: Artisan Restaurant, Deli and Food to Go
London
“So oily”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

I came here with my mum after going to see a film on a Sunday (Mother's Day). Was busy and everything looked super wholesome, so we thought we'd give it a go. We both opted for the salad options that you order like in a deli.
I got salmon fillet with tomatoes and rocket and red cabbage (2sides) and a soya latte. Everything was drenched in olive oil, and pretty much ALL the salad options were grains, starches, beans or had cheese. Don't get me wrong I love a bit of quinoa or sweet potato every now and again, but today all I wanted was some salad or steamed veg with some protein... The salmon was ok, it had some herbs and stuff, but was precooked in oil...the tomatoes were pretty un ripe - 2 pieces were that yellowish colour of cheap unripe tomatoes, and yep, all with loads of olive oil.... Like can't we have the choice of how much dressing we have? I'm only so fussy because I have IBS, and have to keep to a low fat diet or I get problems with my stomach. Also there weren't many low calorie options...I struggle to eat massive portions for lunch, I eat more for my evening meal. With the coffee I asked them to make it again, and got the same crap latte. Tasted like burnt coffee because the baristas don't know how to make coffee (I watched her bob the milk jug up and down whilst it made horrible sounds, and she was trying to tidy up or do other things at the same time as making the coffee so wasn't concentrating on it). The seating area ect was nice enough; that rustic look with wooden tables and chairs, but all in all I wouldn't visit again as I found the serving area quite chaotic too. You order in the same way as subway (haven't been there for like 5 years but know the routine) then pay at the end where they make the coffee. Was given a ticket and paid for my order, but somehow there was some confusion because the girl who made my coffee was shouting out my coffee, and the girl at payment bit charged me for a smoothie even though I gave her my "ticket"...so this ticket thing seemed pretty pointless. I'm not some well fussy person, I like my food just as much as the next person but this place is just plain food dressed up in loads of oil and vinegar pretty much.. Also for like £10 I felt totally ripped off. There are many other places offering quality ingredients for 3/4 of the price. My mum pretty much went out there with all the salad options and had falafel, hummus, quinoa, cous cous ect. She said the falafel and quinoa were a bit dry...like when food has been out all day and not wrapped up. I wish I just went to Pret or Le Pain Quotidien, but no, thought it would be better to try out something new. They only get 1 star because the staff were friendly, but that's about it.

Chedworth
“Don't miss this for breakfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Not eaten here except for breakfast and lunch. Had breakfast here the other day and it was excellent. Nice granola fresh fruit and yoghurt to start, with eggs royale afterwards. My wife found the porridge too heavy going, needed to be softer but comes down to personal taste. Lovely staff and would happily come here every day!

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
“What a gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Recently discovered this little independent gem of a place.
The feel is relaxed and friendly with a great mix of rustic and urban.
Had a lovely quiche and salad lunch (and a delicious brownie to follow) which was of a generous proportion and home made which is so rare to find with all the 'samey samey' chains out there.
So if you are in the Marylebone area, definitely try this place out.
I cannot recommend it highly enough.

London, United Kingdom
“I need a 'no star' option.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I popped in on the way up to Regent's Park. I opted for the falafel, and the wife the chicken, with three salads from the counter. The falafel was so dry it was like eating crackers. The chicken was little better. And the salads were bland. All this serviced up on a polystyrene plate with plastic cutlery for £10.95 each. We will not being going back.

London, United Kingdom
“Fresh, quick and delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Great to drop in and select from the prepared items - eat in or take away. There's also a restaurant at the back but I prefer the deli up front.

Visited November 2013