“True Italian meal experience” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
London, England, United Kingdom
“True Italian meal experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I treated my daughter to an Italian meal following her holiday in Positano. What I had not accounted for was the true Italian experience. The food was exquisite and the service fantastic. Eating here is like eating in Italy (or so my daughter tells me). This little restaurant is a little of the beaten track and several miles from the city centre - but well worth the trouble finding.
Enjoy the taste of Italy in Hammersmith !!

• Visited August 2014

London
“Simply superb.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

In the last review I submitted, (before this), I bemoaned the lack of authenticity in some local Italian restaurants. So what do my wife and I find on our next trip out? A simply wonderful local Italian, that is as good as any we have visited in Italy.

Pentolina is a small, husband and wife business, in the ‘twee’ Brook Green area of West London. The decor is elegantly simple and, (very welcome in the recent hot weather), the folding frontage opens out to the street.

Service is admirable, doubly-so bearing in mind that the entire operation is run by the couple themselves. So as his wife prepared some pre-prandial drinks, the husband (a.k.a. the chef) delivered dishes, brought up from the basement kitchen. I don’t know how they would cope on a very busy day but on this relaxed, Tuesday lunch – it was perfection.

The quality of ingredients and preparation is first rate. Baked Tomino cheese, topped with almonds and honey was oozy and very tasty. My wife’s prosciutto and mozzarella was fresh and delicious. We both chose pasta main course and…hallelujah – cooked “al dente”! My paccheri with an ‘njuda and cheese was simply perfect. My wife’s linguine with razor clams was almost as good. It could have been a little more “loose” with the addition of some of the pasta cooking water but the flavour could not be faulted.

For dessert, I had a glass of Vin Santo with some home-made cantuccini biscuits, whilst my wife had a superb pear and ricotta cake with cream. One of the best, (if not the best), she has ever eaten.

Now for cooking of this standard, you would expect to pay a premium and that’s where you would be very, very surprised. A three-course lunch menu, (Tuesday to Friday), is available for a mere £20. I honestly do not know how they do it. I’ve paid three times that amount and not had cooking to this very high standard. I must add that some of our items were not included in the set-lunch deal but there was an extremely generous choice.

Finally, (and as if the food wasn’t enough), the wine list is an eclectic and personal tribute to the Italian wine pantheon. We had a simply stunning Valpolicella Superiore from the renowned producer; Roccolo Grassi. Better still, I know the retail price of this wine and Pentolina’s mark-up is the lowest you are ever going to get in London. Order that wine in one of London’s swankier Italian joints, and you’d pay almost double its cost in Pentolina.

Throw in really great espresso, a fine collection of Italian “digestivo” and you have one of the best Italian eating experiences I have had, in quite some time. When you ally the fine cooking, with the breath-taking prices; I’d say Pentolina is the best “bang for your buck” in London – without a doubt.

Rome
“Very nice genuinely Italian restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

La Pentolina is a very good (genuinely Italian) restaurant. Nice ambience, attentive service, high quality food with an inventive menu. The only downside is that portions are really too small (I could count 15 macaroni in my main course!) ... So it is absolutely ideal .. If you are not too hungry.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Winnipeg, Canada
“An amazing gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Our B&B owner recommended this amazing restaurant in the Brook Green neighbourhood, and it was wonderful! The service was excellent, and the food was superb! My husband said it might be the best meal he's ever eaten! From the appetizers (served with fresh-baked thin foccacia) to the entrees, and to the exquisite dessert and coffees, each item was artfully presented and incredibly flavourful!

Europe
“Interesting place but maybe the wrong day!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Was taken to this very interesting restaurant, tucked away in a residential area, the residents of which no doubt make up a large percentage of the clientele.....which I like as it means that they have to keep their standards up and the menu varied.

I was very pleasantly impressed with the decor and ambience with large open area at the front. Unfortunately this lead to some diesel fumes being intrusive when there were two deliveries made when we were there causing a bit a of a laugh amongst the small numbers of us that were there that day.

The prices for lunch have already been commented on and would agree they are very reasonable. However, the choice of starters was pretty limited for my taste and ended with the only choice available being a fresh fennel salad that was somewhat uninspiring. My partners at lunch had various mozarella dishes that did not look that interesting either but were, apparently, ok.

Main course were much better choices and I had the razor clam linguine with bream roe and it was adorable!! More than made up for the poor, to me, starter.The wine was excellent and very reasonable I am told.

I would love to get the opportunity to go there again really soon as I feel my average rating would more than likely move up with a choice of starters more to my personal liking and, in the meantime, would certainly advise readers to give them a chance!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere