“Nice apartment but not for families” 2 of 5 stars

Oakwood at St. Johns House
50 Vine Street, London EC3N 1, England   |
Ranked #769 of 1,073 hotels in London
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice apartment but not for families”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We booked this property for a week during our stay in London while joining my husband on a business trip. The location was perfect for him (since it's in The City, and he was about a 10 minute walk from his building), and it's also a short distance to the Tower, bus stops and the Tube. The 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment itself was in updated condition and very nicely appointed, with a kitchen that had a dishwasher and combo washer/dryer.

We arrived on a Saturday, and the first two nights were fine until Monday night. I had no idea that the apartments are right over a bar/nightclub, which is closed on the weekend (in general, The City is pretty dead on Saturday and Sunday) but open literally all night during the week. We listened to excruiatingly loud club music until about 2 in the morning Monday through Friday night (how these people go to work the next morning is beyond me; maybe I'm getting old). Since we were on the second floor, the bar was immediately below us and was probably worse than had we been up on a higher floor (though it was so loud I don't know if it would have mattered). Also, although the address is St. John's Street, it's little more than an alley. The main street on the other side is the Minories, which is a much busier street (though the traffic noise was much more welcome than the insanely loud club music). The kids took forever to fall asleep; I don't think I slept at all. But then, I am a light sleeper.

So if you have kids or like to get any amount of sleep at all during the week, I wouldn't recommend this property (note to self; ask if the apartment is above or near a bar the next time when booking in London). But if you plan on going clubbing every weeknight and want a place close enough to simply stumble upstairs and pass out on your bed (or sofa, if you can't make it that far), this would be the place for you!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

4 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Without wanting to write a huge biopic of our stay here, its the only way to get across the frustration of our trip - suffice to say there were endless issues with the property.
I booked a 2 week stay through SilverDoor Corporate Apartment service when in Australia (admittedly leaving it 6 weeks prior to the trip was a little late) for a 2 bed 2 bath apartment. I wasnt so keen on the location at Tower Hill as there were a few bars around and figured may be noisy of an evening.....but was told there had never been any complaints.... it was noisy, but not really enough to complain about - hence probably not having had any complaints - but I would not have wanted to be on the first floor facing the courtyard, especially not on a Thrsday or Friday night.

but my major issue was the sheer amount of things which went wrong. First of all we had asked for twin beds in the second room and there was only a double bed - for a 9 and 8 year old girl and boy....they did deliver a rollaway the next day however.
The curtains didn't close in the main bedroom, that took two days to get fixed....
The hot water tap in the kitchen went round 360 degrees so working out how to turn off and on was challenging. Someone fixed that at the same time as the curtains...apparently...but the next day the tap stopped working at all - we coudlnt turn it off from 9.30pm at night till it was fixed at 430pm the next day (we didnt call the emergency number as didnt think it was an emergency) but it sure wasted a lot of hot water and was very noisy.
The person who was then sent to fix that told me that the first person shoud have noticed that the screw was completely knackered and they should have spotted it and fixed it.
The main event was that on the first friday morning at 2am water came pouring through the light fitting in the main en suite bathroom> luckily we didnt turn the light on wondering what all the noise was.
At this point we did ring the emergency number but by 3am the water was dissipating so told them not to call out a plumber as it was so late...
We got told the next day it was due to a tenent immediately upstairs showering and running the washing machine at the same time....but she was a long term tenant in the music industry so they had to be careful with how to manage her. Nice.
At this point I asked for a reduction in rent and was told they had already supplied a free rollaway bed - which is normally 45 pounds a week so no, no reduction. Oh but they were happy to provide a free excursion to a london attraction of our choice for me and the family. seeing as it was now friday - I had been working all week and the family had done all the attractions, I asked for a cash refund instead. No, cannot do that.
We were then at a stalemate as they wouldnt refund any money and I didnt want to go on the London Eye or go out for dinner somewhere with a voucher from them (the seond offer instead of a london attraction) ...and the stalemate lasted till Tuesday of our last week when at 1230am - again - water came through the light fitting in the bathroom. Again.
This flipped me over the edge - I threatened to call my lawyers (and im not even American) if I didnt get a substantial portion of the rent refunded.
Lo and behold, 48 hours later we were offered 5 nights accommodation off the cost. Finally.
Seriously, it shouldnt have come to that. The property manager did his best for us, but the Oakwood Management and the Silver Door management have some issues to learn about Customer Service
I was paying 250 pounds a night to stay in this apartment, when I owuld normally stay in a hotel - every day I had to take time out of my day to speak to them, manage an issue, respond to emails and basically plead for them to sort something out.
Was I happy with the result of 5 nights off the price - it was a fair outcome, but it should have been managed far far better.
I have had no apology from Silver Door other than them relaying the offer of the refund, and I wont be using their Corporate Apartment Service again I can tell you.
the location of the apartment at Tower Hill cannot be faulted, its easy for people to get to the city for work and easy for families to get around....but the aparmtnets need some work on them to be up to scratch.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Oakwood at St. Johns House? Share your experiences!