“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grange City Hotel

You added Grange City Hotel to your Saves list
Grange City Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8-14 Coopers Row, London EC3N 2BD, England (City of London)   |
Ranked #275 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
sheringham
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is a five star hotel but five star it is not. On the plus side you have the staff who couldn't be better - friendly, helpful, always smiling. Also the hotel is very attractively decorated but they have problems. The room we stayed in - number 218 - was cramped to say the least. The bed was a basic double size - not good enough for 5*. The view - well if you call a view of Fenchurch Street station platform, a view, then we had a view but we could never pull up the blind as people on the train could then see into our room.
Breakfast is a story in two parts. If you are there over the weekend, it's like a rugby scrum with people fighting over you to get at the toaster - where does any hotelier get the idea that this is what customers want?? On the Sunday at one point they ran out of rolls, fried eggs and baked beans - there was nearly a revolution. If on the other hand you stay on a weekday. it's totally different - eggs to order any way you like them, full range of breakfast fare but then why not the same at the weekend?
As this was a special trip, I was disappointed - not what I was expecting from a chain with such a swanky name as The Grange.

Room Tip: You could try asking for a room with a view - I did and got Fenchurch Street Station
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
Catskill, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I was a little concerned based on the negative reviews posted on this hotel. However, I feel some reviewers have been unfair. We are talking about London here. This hotel is very reasonable for London. I would rate it a 4 Star + facility. If it offered everything that some people demand, they would be paying double what they are being charged. All things considered, Its a great value for the price.

We stayed for two nights earlier this month. We had booked an Executive Room 10 months in advance through the hotel's website which included breakfast. At the time of booking, we requested a smoking room with a tower view.

The hotel is beautiful and well maintained with a very friendly staff. Because we arrived early, our room was not ready. We went to Wetherspoons around the corner and had a very nice lunch. When we returned our room was ready and we were pleased overall. It was very clean, and appointed as you would expect of a 5 star with a "semi-tower view." I say "semi-tower" because there was a building blocking a complete view. The bed was very comfortable and we got a good night's rest.

Breakfast was nicely presented and well prepared. A short walk to the tower, restaurants and the city cruise docks made this a perfect location for weekend sightseeing.

Grange City is located like a 5 star, looks like a 5 star, has all the ammenities of a 5 star, is priced like a 4 star. The staff was very friendly and when requested, the bathrobes and slippers were provided to us. The TV's must have been upgraded since the pictures on this site were taken because the one in our room was a large flat screen with excellent reception.

Grange City Hotel is a great value for London and I would definelty stay there again.

Room Tip: Book as much in advance as you can. When you book, ask for a higher floor with a tower view. Check...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Good hotel, but not 5 Star... It's the little things the mess up on, Bathrobe only (no slippers) even when both requested, no water until asked for, bottles of coke ordered on room service but no bottle openers, no sugar for tea/coffee with breakfast room service... it's the little things. However that said: 5 star staff - couldn't be more helpful and very quick and responsive; room great - a peak at the Tower and Tower Bridge but certainly not as bad as some have described (even if someone had stripped the hairdryer of its plug!!! BTW very quickly replaced by staff); Spa very good (could do with loungers/steamer chairs poolside - but space very limited in their basement), Forum Restaurant food good (even if wine heavily over priced); Room Service prompt, discrete and efficient (even if they forget sugar/bottle openers etc..)
All round not a horrible hotel but not 5 star either - a Curate's Egg of a Hotel then!!

Room Tip: Higher Floors in Main Building are your best bet
Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

While The Grange is a nice looking hotel, in a very good location (even has a part of the Old London wall as part of the grounds, which according to the plaque they paid to restore) the service is anything but 5 star.

Please The Grange, teach your staff then when they are checking someone in - it is incredibly important to give that person 100% of your attention, not be vague and not start to deal with someone else half way through a conversation! I don't care if you feel another guest is more important somehow!! Also.. please DO NOT ask for my personal information in a loud voice while stood so far away from me that everyone in the reception could hear my address.... very bizarre behaviour from a 5 star hotel I must say... I think you need to train your staff properly about discretion.

Also - why have doorman if all they are going to do is stand there and ignore the clients? It was raining when we arrived – yet he obviously didn’t want to get wet, as he didn’t leave from under his shelter. Didn’t even attempt to open the taxi door or help with bags. Also, on leaving for the evening out, he never attempted to hale a taxi – I had to do this myself!!

The staff in the bar – unfortunately were as lacklustre as the rest of the staff we encountered (not 100% sure the bar was part of the hotel to be honest, although in the same building, it could have been independent)

The saving grace from the staff was the concierge who was not only polite and helpful he found us tickets for a West End show. Top marks for him at least.

The rooms were very nice, clean and up to the standard I would expect from a 5 star hotel.

Suffice to say – with the amount of hotel choice in our city, I will not be choosing to stay here again, and that is purely because of the staff, which is a shame, the hotel building and rooms are actually very nice.

When people book a hotel of this rating, you would expect service of the rating too.. very disappointing on that count.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
St Helens, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

what a fantastic hotel every thing about it was perfect staff excellent no complaints when we arrived oiur room was not ready but the staff took good care of our luggage our room was on the 8th floor with great views of tower bridgeit was a very spacious room spotless. and will definately be going back.5star all the way well done Grange CityLoved it !!!!!

Room Tip: rooms from the 7th floor upwards have great views overlooking tower brdge
Northern Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We took my parents to London as a Birthday surprise for both of them and at first reading some of the reviews I was a little concerned. Having now experienced it for ourselves I ask myself what are they complaining about! I had contact with the hotel before our stay both over the phone and by email and they were very helpful answering my questions and when we arrived they couldn't have been more polite making us very welcome and storing our luggage until rooms were available allowing us to explore the city.
Arriving back at the hotel later that night and having told them it was a first time trip for my parents and I wanted to make it a memorable one, they booked them into a fabulous room with a stunning view of the Tower of London. Our room was facing onto the side street and was huge with excellent facilities and very comfortable bed. We had continental breakfast each morning and the choice was very adequate, everything very fresh and plentiful with a constant supply of tea,coffee by the waiters. A soon as you had finished with a plate they were on hand to clear it away and we were greeted by lovely girls each morning welcoming us and showing us to a table, they also took the time to have a brief conversation when we were leaving after breakfast, a lovely personal touch that makes you feel at home.
On several occasions I asked for advise and directions from the reception staff and concierge both were very polite and gave me as much time as I needed. On the whole this was an excellent stay at a very reasonably priced hotel situated only a few yards from Tower Hill tube station. We were all very happy with the rooms and service provided and plan to visit again with my parents next year. We have stayed in many hotels all over the world and visit London ourselves at least once a year, this was our first time at the Grange but it won't be the last. I honestly think some people go out looking for something to complain about.

Thank you to all the staff at the Grange City you helped to give both my parents a memory to last a lifetime!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Not like any five star hotel we've ever stayed in but nice room, great view and fantastic spa treatment.
Service at dinner (Japanese) and at breakfast was absolutely shocking... Had to keep asking for things like butter (for toast) and tea spoon, milk sugar etc for coffee!
If they brushed up on the service the hotel would be better - still not sure about the rating though

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Grange City Hotel? Share your experiences!