We discovered this hotel on our last visit to London and thought it looked very nice. For our most recent trip to London, the rate for this hotel was pretty good compared to comparable West End hotels so we figured after several visits to London staying a little out of the way would be just fine for us.
The hotel is very nice and attractive. The lobby has an outstanding handed painted glass dome that is very beautiful. The hotel’s contemporary décor is warm and relaxing and flows throughout the property. We had an executive room which is several room sizes up from the smallest room. It was a good size room but a little smaller then we thought it would be. The décor was great, with nice earth tones and cool looking light fixtures that gave off a soft glow. The TV was too small and placed in a tall cage that blocked your view unless you were in the bed. Although not that important to us, it should be noted that the TV channel selections also were very limited when it came to foreign stations. The room also was beginning to show some minor wear and tear. Some nice artwork was on the walls, and overall it was a pleasant room to relax in. The large limestone bathroom was very nice with separate shower, heated towel rack, and flat screen TV.
The one area that needs some improvement at this hotel is service. It was very inconsistent. Since it is a small hotel, it seems the front desk staff does everything from concierge to telephone operator. Some members of the staff were very good, some were not. The turn down service was also inconsistent, but when it was done right, it was very nice with a bucket of ice, large bottle of water and a lit candle in the bathroom.
We stayed for seven nights so we had the chance to experience the area during the week and weekend. It is very quiet on the weekends with almost every store in the immediate area closed. The best place to go if you need something is Liverpool Station, a ten minute walk. During the week, the area is very active during the day but gets quiet fast at night. The Bank tube station is a three minute walk with multiple lines that can put you in many tourist areas in ten minutes.
If you are a first time visitor to London, you may not want to stay here. If you have been to London before, this location could work out well for you. London is a very busy and crowded city, especially in the main tourist spots. A stay at Threadneedles allows you to stay at a nice modern design hotel, in a relaxing area, yet with access to all the fun pretty quickly via a great tube system.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Marriott Rewards members can earn and redeem Marriott rewards points at this hotel - part of the Autograph collection. Threadneedles, a 5 star boutique hotel in the heart of the City of London. Relax in the hotel's eclectic mix of old and new design; from the striking stained glass dome above the lobby, dating back to 1856, to contemporary styling in the 74 bedrooms and modern British dining in Bonds Restaurant & Bar. Find warmth in the walnut walls and grandeur in the cool marble floors of this Victorian banking hall, cleverly converted into a five star boutique hotel. Within easy reach are popular landmarks such as St Paul's Cathedral, The Barbican, Shakespeare's Globe and the Tower of London. The West End and Theatreland are only 3 tube stops away. For those who like to stray from the beaten tracks, the savvy guest can also explore The City's lesser-known gems such as chic Spitalfields market, foodie Borough market, The Monument to the Great Fire of London and The Charles Dickens Museum. For weekend visitors, Shoreditch or Borough Market provide some of London's trendiest restaurants and bars just a 5 minute taxi ride away. The hotel is just a 20-minute car ride from London's City Airport, 3 minutes walk from Bank underground station and 5 minutes walk from Liverpool Street mainline station, with connections to Stansted Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Venere, HotelTravel.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Threadneedles Hotel, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Threadneedles Hotel London
- Threadneedles Hotel, Autograph Collection London, England