“Awful breakfast experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express London-Wimbledon-South

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express London-Wimbledon-South to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express London-Wimbledon-South
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 High Street | Colliers Wood, South Wimbledon, London SW19 2BH, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #514 of 1,073 hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Awful breakfast experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

The hotel itself was clean modern and quite well presented. The staff on check in were polite and helpful. The room was quite small, but again clean and well presented. The location is good, less than 1 minute from the tube station.

The main problems started at breakfast ..... we stayed the night of 31 December, so as with most guests we were up quite late in to the night, so were surprised breakfast was still only available until 10am the next morning when we had a midday checkout. We arrived in the breakfast area about 9.30am and were greeted with something like Charing Cross station at rush hour. People everywhere, and spare seats/tables nowhere to be seen.

The next problem was food, there wasnt any ! We went to the hot food cabinet and all that was left were sauages, the duty manager rushed passed saying one moment please as he headed in to the kitchen, and returned with more sausages ! Brilliant ! Eventually some beans and egg (that im sure had never ever seen a chicken) arrived. It wasnt just the hot food counter, there were no croissants/pastries available, the hot drink machine had no milk, the juice machine was serving water with a hint of orange, the list is endless. There were also no trays available, which meant even when you had eventually found somewhere to eat, you couldnt put your dirties anywhere as the rack required you to have a tray.

By extending breakfast by say an hour just this one day a year im sure the problem could be halved.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ExHiWimbledonSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Wimbledon-South, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Firstly let me thank you for taking the time for giving us your feedback, we value all feedback received as this allows us to improve the service we provide to our guests

Please accept our sincere apologies for the lack of service provided at breakfast during your stay with us, we have taken all your comments on board and have implemented changes to improve the smooth running of breakfast

I hope that this will not deter you from staying with us again in the future

308 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed here for a one night stop over with my family. Hotel has been through a full refurb so everything is new and clean. Underground park is £10 extra and has limited spaces so make sure you get there early.
Staff were very helpful and a good choice of breakfasts
For one night’s stay would stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ExHiWimbledonSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Wimbledon-South, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Firstly thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay with us, we value all feedback received as this allows us to improve the standard of service we offer to our guests

You have commented on how new and clean everything was at the hotel during your stay, the hotel just completed in October a full refurbishment and extension which resulted in us adding 56 new rooms all to the new Express design bedrooms and then refurbishing the remaining 83 rooms as close to the new brand bedrooms, this also meant we were able to replace all the carpets, beds, furniture, TV, power showers, sofa furnishing and added triple glazing throughout the hotel

All the public area spaces have been made larger and made to feel very stylish and modern, which allows you to relax whilst staying with us

I am pleased you were happy with the results of the refurbishment, also I am very pleased that you were happy with breakfast, we have recently made some changes to the breakfast to improve the selection of products we offer and I have now changed our sausages to butcher quality sausages

thank you for your positive comments regarding your experience at the hotel, with the staff and I hope that you will stay with us again in the future
abergavenny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

This hotel is great as it is opposite the tube station.
Booking in was good staff friendly and helpful. The room was a good size (229) clean .no wardrobe but plenty of hanging space. Tea and coffee was available in room.however The shower head did not work properly.
Breakfast good choice of cereal, however no fruit they did not have any left when asked! Scrambled egg was not good very dry. However there is a cafe opposite that serves a cooked breakfast. We had breakfast this morning while a lady was hoovering , not the sound you want when having breakfast. We had breakfast at 9.15 so was not late as breakfast finishes at 9.30
During the night the fire alarm went off we id not have to leave our room the alarm went off within mins. However no apology when checking out this morning. I also think 10pounds a night for parking is steep.
This will not stop us staying hear again as the stay was good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ExHiWimbledonSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Wimbledon-South, responded to this review, December 20, 2012

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the hotel and the positive comments regarding the staff

I can only apologise for the fire alarm sounding during the night, this was due to a guest trying to smoke in the hotel and as the hotel is non smoking this then sounded the alarm

I am also sorry that you were not happy with the breakfast, I can confirm that we have taken your feedback and have now reassessed breakfast

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback and hope that you will stay with us again in the future
Shrewsbury, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Recently refurbished, very clean and swish inside. Fast pleasant check in. We were given what appears to be a disabled room, 237, which is larger than most it seems, from the plan on the back of the door anyway.

Only gripe with the room was noise from service lift next to the room, which was noisy until early evening and again at 7am onwards. A lot of creaking and juddering noises from this. I was awake at 7 anyway, but could disturb someone wanting a lie in. But that was just this particular room and I am sure if we had asked we could have moved.

Breakfast choice is limited as per all HI Express, but perfectly adequate for a budget hotel. I don't understand why they have beans, sausages and scrambled egg but not bacon at HI Expresses, a bit bizarre, but not just this hotel but all in the chain. Shortage of glasses and forks a little silly thing that could easily be rectified, shouldn't be having to wait for such things to come from the dishwasher. However I have refrained from marking it down for this, but 4.5 would be a fair score. Also 10am seems early for breakfast finish time on a Sunday. There were lots of people still queuing up at this time. 1030 would seem better.

The decor and interior though is better than most budget hotels. Location is excellent, there are plenty of shops and restaurants within a mile or so, including a massive Sainsbury's and M&S just over the road. Position to Colliers Wood underground is also excellent. 30 mins into Waterloo.

Really pleased with our choice, excellent value for money and exceeded our expectations. Just some attention to the little silly things like forks and glasses at breakfast would improve matters!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back quieter, but try and avoid ones near the service lift!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ExHiWimbledonSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Wimbledon-South, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Firstly let me thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Holiday Inn Express Wimbledon South

As you have highlighted the hotel has just completed a £4.5 million refurbishment and extension whic has increased the rooms avaliable from 83 to 139, we have also replaced all beds, curtains, carpets, TVs, soft furnishings, power showers, in room safes and have installed triple glazed windows. All the guest areas have been made much larger and are very stylish and fresh. I am pleased you found the hotel of a high standard

I am sorry there was a shortage of crockery at breakfast, this has now been rectified

I would like to thank you once again for your comments and hope that you will stay with us again in the future
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

My second night here (I am a business traveller and PC Platinum member) and I have to say they have really done a first class job with the refurbishment. It has a light, clean, modern feel to it. The staff are friendly and helpful too. I'd give it 10 out of 10! It is in a convenient location too - the tube station is within sight of the door, so tourists can be in central London in no time at all. They have opened a restaurant too, which is always a good thing ;-)

Only one thing I have to say in the negative - they charge you £10 for using their car park. Business travellers often arrive by car, like I have to, so any price I see for this hotel needs to have another £10 added automatically. Does it really have to be so much? No. Parking and internet charges are things I take into consideration when returning to a hotel. So far this year I have stayed 38 nights in IHG group affiliated hotels alone - well over 40 nights by the year end, so these things matter and heavily influences my decision when it comes to hotel choice. Oh well ;-)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ExHiWimbledonSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Wimbledon-South, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Firstly thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Holiday Inn Express London Wimbledon South

I am pleased that you found the quality of service of a high standard and that you found the hotel to be excellent, the hotel has just completed a £4.5 million refurbishment and extension, which we completed at the end of October, as part of this refurbishment all the guest rooms have new beds, furniture, carpets, LCD TVs, power showers, triple glazing and free view channels. All of the guest areas such as bar, guest business area, lounge and breakfast bar are all new, larger and of a higher standard of quality

Due to the hotel having limited parking we do need to charge a nightly charge, I am sorry that you were not aware of this

Once again I would like to thank you for your positive comments and hope that you will stay with us again in the future
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Quite typical of a Holiday Inn Express - you book here because you know what to expect. Friendly staff, clean and modern, quick service and great rooms.

A few hang-ups though - my window didn't shut properly (room 143), and it was too late for me to care by the time I noticed - didn't get much sleep due to road noise outside. I'm sure this would've been sorted if I could've been bothered to complain.

Apart from that, no problems. Will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ExHiWimbledonSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Wimbledon-South, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Firstly let me thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Holiday Inn Express London Wimbledon South

I am sorry that you experienced problems with your window, we have just completed a full refurbishment and as part of this all the windows are now new and triple glazed, the reception desk is manned 24 hours a day if we were informed of the issue we would have rectified it for you or alternatively offered to move you to another room

Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback and hope that you will stay with us again in the future
West Midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights for a short sightseeing trip November 17 - 20th. It is very reasonable for London prices as it is not in Central London. The tube is really less than a two minute walk being just over the road and there are plenty of shops near if you have forgotten anything. Was a bit sceptical of the free hot breakfast offered, but was not disappointed! OK so you didnt get a huge choice of bacon mushrooms etc. but its not required when they offer sausage, beans scrambled egg, toast cereals, fruit etc. it was always piping hot and fresh. The rooms are quite small but more than adequate as we only spent the time we slept in them. They were very clean and although there isnt a wardrobe there is a space for hanging your clothes which was all we needed. The bathroom was very clean and the shower was lovely and hot. Have to say the staff at this hotel are some of the most courteous we have encountered especially the young lady at breakfast (unfortunately did not get her name - blonde hair). We would definately recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in a clean, friendly and economical hotel and would stay there again ourselves.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ExHiWimbledonSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Wimbledon-South, responded to this review, November 23, 2012

As you have highlighted the hotel has now completed a huge extension and refurbishment of the hotel which was completed at the end of October, I am pleased that you was happy with the hotel and quality of service you received from my team at the hotel

Thank you for your feedback and I hope you will stay with us again at Holiday Inn Express London Wimbledon South in the future

Been to Holiday Inn Express London-Wimbledon-South? Share your experiences!