“Just to sleep” 2 of 5 stars

33 Gloucester Place | Marble Arch, London W1U 8HY, England (Marylebone)   |
Netherlands
“Just to sleep”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

The most positive about this hotel is that it is in central London and nearby Baker street. Apart from this aspect, I can not help to remark the rooms are really way to cramped to enjoy it. The bathrooms are merely little plastic shacks in the room and I could hardly move around without bumping into my travel mate. The breakfast was cheap, but I skipped it to stay in a nearby restaurant in Baker st. Can not say I was unhappy, but I can not recommend it either.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Innsbruck, Austria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I spent two nights at Lincoln House. Was given a tiny room "the captain's room" which is located inbetween the kitchen and a cloakroom and opposite the reception. The room had no windows and the air condition needed to run all the time so that you did not suffocate. First night, the corridor outside my room was hoovered at 11 pm at night! The reception personnell was not helpful at all and treated me as if I was unwanted there. Also they were extremely noisy day and night - no chance to sleep at all.

The entrance door said they had vacanies but I was told that I could not change my room because they were fully booked. For breakfast the service was very rude, on the second day I had to ask for milk and bread because I was not given any. I was lucky that I was given any because the look on that woman's face showed me that she did not like serving anyone at all.

The worst bit was getting to the train station. Like in any other hotel I asked them to call a cab for me. But they did no order a cab but some Indian drivers service, which charged me a whopping GBP 10 for a 5 minutes' drive. Even for London this price is nothing but rude. I was not even given a receipt so had no way of prooving that I had driven with them.

Overall: my two nights in the windowless room cost GBP 85 each, breakfast not included. I felt and still feel ripped off. Stay away from this hotel is all I can say and look for something nice and friendly instead. Unless you like to be treated like a nuisance opt for another hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
J-Sheriff, General Manager at Lincoln House Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
I am very sorry you were disappointed with your stay. I would like to assure you that we take all negative feedbacks seriously and in a positive spirit.

With regard to the status of our rooms, we go into great length in describing our rooms, as stated on the website, also the size measurements/specifications are sent to our valued guests at the time of booking confirmation. No booking is made without informing the guests about the size and limitations of the room, if any. May I draw your attention to the fact that our building is a Georgian Town House, built at the end of the 18th century at the time of King George III. We have made our best efforts to preserve the historic character, looks and feel of the interior as well as exterior of the building. Unfortunately you have chosen one of the smallest and cheapest room we offer, while you seem to be a very particular person. These few small rooms are suited to the needs of some of our guests who use them for “rest and go purposes”. Your room is sold at nearly half the price on days when the demand is not so high. The transparency of the internet travel market determines the room rates not us.

We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience caused to you; however we very rarely receive complaints of this nature, as generally our cleaning hours are designed to ensure maximum convenience and comfort to our guests. We are investigating the issue, however our initial findings indicate that there was an urgent need to vacuum clean a small part of the carpet outside your room due to an accidental spill. The vacuum cleaning took no longer than 2 minutes. We do regret the inconvenient timing but it was necessary due to cleanliness and hygiene standards.

As far as the breakfast service is concerned, we regret the inconvenience caused to you by waiting, though we do not rule out the possibility of some delay in service in the busy period of the morning due to our high occupancy level. However we do offer our apology to you and assure that this issue is being dealt with possibly by adding staff. The situation wasn’t as grave as described but we got the point.

For the taxi/cab, the £10 charge to Paddington which is 10 min drive not 5 min is standard in London and can be verified from independent sources, without any prejudice/involvement of the hotel. We at the hotel try to make it convenient for our guests to book the cabs. For all the cab bookings done by the hotel, rates are normally informed to our guests before confirming the booking of the cab. We find it disappointing to blame our service because the driver was Indian. The majority of cab drivers in London are of foreign origin, it’s not a job many Englishmen aspire to. However, we are deeply hurt by your attitude, though we promise to try harder the next time. We are already pleasing the great majority of our guests as indicated by our high ranking; not a mean achievement by any measure.

May I end by thanking you for giving us a rating of one, though a higher rating would have been more objective. I rest my case with the readers to whom you are addressing your complaints.

Yours sincerely,

Joseph Sheriff
Merida, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed 2 nights in September, in a small single room in the basement. Room was internal (no window) and very small, but adequate for my needs, and the bed was extremely comfortable. Was nice to have a (tiny) en suite bathroom. Everything was clean, internet signal worked well, and I was quite happy with my stay. I did not eat breakfast. Great location, easy walk from everything... I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This accommodation is centrally placed and easy walking distance to Harrods and Regent St as well as Marble Arch underground and a 20/25 minute walk from Hyde Park Corner underground which takes you to and from Heathrow directly. Staff are most helpful and pleasant. Rooms are small and in some cases bathroom facilities tiny but they are clean. Their rates are reasonable and for these reasons I returned for a second visit this year.

Room Tip: I suggest requesting a room not on the ground floor because they are close to the front door which c...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Copenhagen, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I booked my stay directly via the hotel's hp, and due to booking early, I had the option to have the breakfast included free of charge - or so it said when I booked.

When it came to paying for my stay, the receptionist first couldn't find the details on my booking stating that my breakfast was included. Thus had me show him my booking confirmation, which he had a hard time to trust, and then pointed out that I had continetal breakfast (the option I included when booking) only once, and full english breakfast the other days.
This seems to have been defined by the time that I went to breakfast (7 vs. 8 am), rather than what I ate which was the same every day.
Anyhow, he decided to 'let me get away' with not paying the 7 am breakfast, but had me pay full price on the other meals I had. Also, the breakfast waitress was rude and seemed overworked or overwhelmed with the workload.

Breakfast and related paying issues might not be a big problem, but it was unpleasant, my inital booking information was wrong or not recorded proberly by the staff albeit done via the hotel's hp, and overall just the last I needed to consider not to come back again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I loved this B&B. I was going to stay for only 3 nights but had to extend my reservation (at the last minute) for 5 nights and they did it without any problems. Some rooms can be small but if you're just there to sleep then you should be fine. Everything was clean, all the staff was super friendly, it's reasonably priced and the location is fantastic. The only complaint would be that in some rooms the walls are paper thin so you may overhear conversations/get woken up by your neighbor's alarm clock (I'm a light sleeper though) but other than that I highly recommend it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Rennes, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I made an email enquiry to stay for a night at this hotel. When the room I initially requested was no longer available I was offered a smaller room at the same price. I replied to say that I accept the offer within 15 minutes but received no response! When I emailed again the next day they told me the room was taken!! Very upset by the fact that they did not communicate this to me as I did not look for other accommodation in the meantime since they had offered me a room. To add to that, I highly doubt the room could have been booked within 15 minutes!?

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Lincoln House Hotel? Share your experiences!