“Nice location, a lot of character, decent price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grange Rochester Hotel

You added Grange Rochester Hotel to your Saves list
Grange Rochester Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   69 Vincent Square | Westminster, London SW1P 2PA, England (Westminster / Belgravia)   |
Ranked #519 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Canada
“Nice location, a lot of character, decent price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I stayed for one night at the Grange Rochester Hotel. I had stayed for a few nights previous to this at a different hotel and decided to switch for a variety of reasons. It was a relief to have a nice clean bed and friendly and accommodating staff; including a bellhop and a doorman. The room itself was nice and clean and comfortable and the location was close to Victoria station.

When I checked in, it was pouring out. I had arrived later than my husband and he had run out to grab something. I went to the street corner to see if I could find him. I was standing under the overhang of the bar/restaurant on the corner when the owner of the hotel and bar/restaurant went past me into the bar and invited me in for his special Chinese tea with ginger and mint, on the house. It was very nice of him and I definitely enjoyed waiting inside with some nice tea rather than out in the cold rain. From my experience, this is indicative of the way the place is run--that it is not all about cutting costs and the bottom line.

My husband and I booked this hotel on expedia and the price was only 10 pounds more than the other hotel I had been staying at, but it was much superior. For what we paid, I definitely recommend the Grange Rochester, and will be staying there again during my next trip to London.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Roydon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed for one night during a theatre weekend trip to London. The room was very spacious on the ground floor. We had a very nice breakfast and all the staff we dealt at this hotel with were very polite, helpful and interested in making conversation. Concierge staff and reception were first class as were the restaurant staff. Everything was done with a smile and we felt we were made very welcome.
We stay at Grange hotels during our twice a year theatre weekends and we will continue to do so in the future. They are good value and ideal for our needs.
Patrick and Janice Rawle, Roydon, Essex, UK

Room Tip: Our room was at basement level facing the park. Very spacious and well appointed.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

The location of the hotel is ideal very close to Victoria and easy to fine. I was in double room on my own but I imagine it might not be big enough for two as there is hardly any space between the bed and furniture. However it in Central London and I was happy with the room for my needs and would stay again just on a room basis. However as a single female when I work away I don't really like going out on my own to eat so stick to the hotels restaurants. Wish I had ordered a take away to be honest. The bread served was not very nice and was served with packets of spread (not what I was expecting at these prices) I ordered the fillet steak and since the menu stated certain items came with veg or rice but the steak didn't I order spinach as my side and I checked with the waitress if that would be enough- which she said yes one side should be fine. However when my 'fillet' came it had fat all the way round it and a massive circle of fat in the middle...not what a fillet usually looks like. It was cooked properly though and how I ordered it which was rare. I was put off by the fat running through and didn't eat it, when I asked the waitress if all the fillet steaks had fat through she offered my some cake (off a stand that had been there since I arrived). I was also annoyed that despite asking about sides it turned out my steak did come with vegetables so I didn't need the spinach. In the end I only ate the veg and a bit of spinach so it's a good job I had it. Since I was not exactly full after vegetables I asked for the desert menu and ordered ice cream which was actually lovely with real strawberries in it. So my meal of vegetables and ice cream cost me over £30 with a diet coke. Recommend for convenient location but that's the only reason. If I had a choice I would go else where.

• Stayed November 2013
PatrickM_GH, Public Relations Manager at Grange Rochester Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Jamie B,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us following your recent stay. We are pleased you found the location to be ideal for your trip however we are sorry to hear that your visit was not entirely to your satisfaction.

Your comments have been passed to our suppliers along with the Head Chef and internal training team so that we may rectify any shortcomings and to ensure you and others have a more memorable stay with us in the future. I hope you will stay with us on your next visit to London so that you may witness the high quality of food and beverage service in particular, that are normally associated with Grange Rochester Hotel.

Kind regards,

PatrickM
Wiltshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed mid-week for one night and asked for a room overlooking Vincent Square which I was given; it was G3 about 20 steps from reception meaning I didn't have to traipse up flights of stairs and along endless corridors! I heard staff talking till quite late after I'd come in around 10.30pm, but that stopped and I had a sound night's sleep. Oddly, it was a fold-down double bed but was, in fact, as comfortable as the usual hotel bed if considerably lower. I would have thought they wound warn guests of this as it is out of the ordinary and wouldn't suit everyone. I guess the room would double as a meeting room on this basis as I can't think of any other reason for a foldaway double bed.

All three wall electric switches in the lobby need to be on to work e.g. the bathroom lights and then e.g. the hair drier. Odd quirks like this coupled with a rather shabby décor and an old fashioned air lead me to saying an upgrade is in order. However, customer service is tip-top with extremely well trained and polite staff keen to ensure a happy stay from the doormen to the waiting staff in the restaurant. Breakfast was good with swift service in a small dining room. I would happily stay here again as I had a sound night's sleep in surprising silence. Very well placed for meeting rooms in Victoria.

Room Tip: Overlooking the square
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Tuaim da Gualin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed in The Grange Rochester for the last 4 days in October on a B&B basis and it was most enjoyable.Its convenient to Victoria station and it is about halfway between the station and the Thames just of the Vauxhall Road.Is walking distance.The staff at reception were very nice and all the staff were so helpful and friendly.We were on the top floor and the room was a bit on the small side with a little noise from the street but it was'nt a problem as the area around the hotel is very quiet.The bed was very comfortable.The breakfast was very good and we eat at the restaurant on 3 evenings and the food was good.This is a very convenient hotel for visiting the main sights of London.Its an oasis in the mid'st of all the hustle bustle of London.No problem in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Four night stay in this well situated Westminster hotel. Building is vintage, as are most amenities. Operable windows were a plus, but the light switches were a continuing mystery. We had one dinner (night of arrival) in the hotel, and it was very good. Menu is somewhat limited, but tasty. Staff is very helpful, but one caveat: we asked for a cab on the early morning of our departure, which was arranged by the "concierge" rather than the front desk. The cab was unmetered, and we were overcharged for the ride to Green Park, where we wanted to go to avoid stairs. Driver tried desperately to get us to have him drive us to Heathrow. When we refused, he took us to the station entrance which had a long flight of stairs and swore it was the only entrance. It wasn't. The ramp entrance was across the street. Bad, bad performance, and I suspect the concierge was part of the plan.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on Vincent Square. Quiet with a nice view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Had a wonderful stay in the grange rochester hotel. Staff were more than helpful and friendly at all times. Room was really clean and location was central to everything. Didn't avail of breakfast as it was very expensive but there were plenty of cafés nearby. Also hotel kept our bags on our check in and departure day.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Grange Rochester Hotel? Share your experiences!