“Lovely stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Villa Kensington

You added The Villa Kensington to your Saves list
The Villa Kensington
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10 - 11 Ashburn Gardens, London SW7 4DG, England (Formerly Abcone Hotel) (South Kensington)   |
Ranked #373 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I chose this hotel using both trip advisor for reviews and cost and I wasn't disappointed. We were off to London for 3 nights for my 50th. I had never been to London and was very much looking forward to it, of course the hotel needs to be right as that's where you are laying your head.
Some reviews said the rooms were small but we felt that the rooms were adequate after all your not there to stay in your room are you. We had room 304 and it was nice, away from the lift, high enough to be away from the comings and goings downstairs and a nice view of the square the hotel sits in. The building itself is beautiful and historic
On arrival the hotel had a lovely birthday surprise for me which overwhelmed me it was so nice of them to do that. We did arrive early but there was no trouble in getting us to our room.
The room was clean and comfortable and it was serviced every day
Huge wardrobe and plenty of storage space.
Very nice bathroom and a great shower
Tv is freeview with lots of channels to choose from
The bed was firm and comfortable
Breakfast is a buffet style continental included in the price of the room and was ample. You have the option of a full English at a reasonable price and whilst we saw a couple of people having that we didn't feel the need as the buffet was more than enough
The staff were very nice people always pleasant and polite
We would not hesitate to book this hotel again

Room Tip: 304 was nice
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your nice and comprehensive review. I am so happy you had a lovely time staying with us. Best regards. Ferdinand. GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Turkish first
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Great value in an expensive city with convenient access to the underground, an included breakfast, and in walking distance of the Victoria & Albert, Natural History and Science Museums. Staff is really nice. When I asked for a 6 am wakeup call one morning, suggesting I'd be on my way well before the 7:30 start of breakfast, I was immediately offered a breakfast bag to take on my way. It's basic, but a great option for London.

Room Tip: It's a quiet area. I had a room fronting the street and had no trouble with noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us. Kind regards. Ferdinand. GM
Larvik, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

The hotel is basic, the straff was nice and good breakfast which was inkludert in the price.
I had booked a triple room and actually thought it was quite spacious compared to other triple rooms I've stayed in. It was quite cold in the room when we arrived, but both the ventilation system and heater worked fine. It was quiet as the room didn't face any streets (first level) TV, kettle with a selection of tee and coffee, and hairdryer in the room. The rooms are cleaned everyday third day, but beds are made and new towels every day.
The hotel has a great location and nice staff. Perfectly located just a minute from Gloucester underground station and Tesco express across the road from the underground station. Many bars and restaurants in the area.
If you want luxury this isn't the hotel for you, but I've no problem recommending this hotel

Room Tip: Room facing the backyard towards the breakfast room
Dear Guest,
thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I am pleased to read that you would be happy to recommend us. Kindest regards. Ferdinand. GM
Porsgrunn, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I really liked this hotel, I have been in London 6 times before and this is the absolute best hotel I have stayed in. The rooms was nice, and it was the rooms were cleaned every day. When it comes to breakfast, it was good to be a english breakfast. I also have to brag about the ladies who worked in the breakfast area, they were very nice an friendly.
The rooms had good size, it was pleasant to be in and with comfy beds.
When it comes to reception they were always friendly. When they found out we missed breakfast the day we were to leave, they arranged a takeaway breakfast. Both young and old did enjoy this amazing service. I have to mention that the take away breakfast tasted really good as well!

The only negative about the hotel was that it was a bit thin walls. but then we bought earplugs, so the "problem" was easily solved.

This is a hotel we will return to, and we have already recommended it to friends and family! Very very happy with this stay! Thank you :D

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for leaving such a nice review. We hope to see you back soon.
Take care.
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Lovely quiet location, literally 2 minutes walk from Gloucester tube.
Breakfast was good, cereals, toast, croissants etc.
Tesco express at end of road near tube station.
Clean basic rooms. Would return.

Room Tip: get a room away from lift.
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Take care.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

We stayed here for 10 days in February 2014. Staff were very friendly and rooms clean and comfortable. Great location especially for the price you're paying. It's a short walk from Gloucester Rd station which will get you onto 3 tube lines.

Dear Guest,
I really appreciate you took the time to write this review. Thank you very much.
Best regards
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

The hotel is nice and in a good location.The room was cleaned and comfortable.
My only concern is that we ordered a cab in the morning and no one from the people working in the reception to include manager informed us that it is not going to be black cab but private taxi company.We ordered short trip on saturday ( 1.02) morning around 7:15 a.m. from the hotel to Earl's Court / West Brompton easy bus station ( 1,2 mile - 5min ) to go to Gatwick.
The driver in silver Toyota Privia asked us to pay £15.50 ! He had no visible mini cab license,no badge and he was not able to print out receipt ?
I asked is this normal price and he informed us we are lucky as this is minimum he is charging for trip ???
I called hotel duty manager on the same day to ask why we were not informed about on such high price on entry and about ordering private taxi instead of black cab ?
He was defending the driver and said if we want to black cab we must go on street and find one and the price we were asked to pay is not high???
So in short we were scammed on taxi which charge us highly for 1.2 mile trip and the driver had no sign of any license.So to my understanding it was someone related to staff at the hotel operating with a private car and working on a call. No comments.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
I am sorry this unfortunate event with the taxi service has somehow spoiled your experience with us. I do understand you may be upset, but I don't think is fair for you to make such serious allegations. Accusing members of my team to run a "scum"....This is completely out of order. To state the real facts I will say:
The mini-cab company we use has an extremely good reputation.
Their drivers are all licensed.
They can provide a receipt for the trip.
Their service is completely independent
Ultimately it was your choice to take up the service and prices for the trip are agreed between the customer and the taxi company; this has nothing to do with us.
Ferdinand. GM

Been to The Villa Kensington? Share your experiences!