“Surprising size for London!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Villa Kensington

You added The Villa Kensington to your Saves list
The Villa Kensington
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10 - 11 Ashburn Gardens, London SW7 4DG, England (Formerly Abcone Hotel) (Earls Court)   |
Ranked #374 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Melbourne, Australia
“Surprising size for London!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I had a single room, was expecting a shoebox, given past experiences in London, but the room at the Villa was quite large, with a full size bathroom too. Not pokey at all. Awesome location in London, right near Gloucester Station. Good breakfast. Was slightly disappointed as the AC wasn't working during my stay, luckily it wasn't too hot in London at the time. Staff also really helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your nice review. Too bad for the AC; I know it cannot be much of a consolation for you, but this problem has now been sorted out. I hope you will choose to stay with us again. Kind regards. Ferdinand. GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Turkish first
Maitland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

As mentioned previously, this hotel is located very conveniently to Gloucester Road Station - but it is also 15min walk from the Natural History Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum, Royal Albert Hall and Kensington Park - with another 5min to Hyde Park. The Hop On Hop Off buses all stop at the Station. There are a couple of pubs across from the station that do good reasonably priced meals

It was our first experience with European sized rooms, so the lack of space was new to us. The room was higher than it was wide - giving it a bit of a Phone Box profile :-) There is not enough room for two large suitcases, but if you travel light it should be OK.

The room had been recently repainted and repaired, but it looks like a DYI job, with overpainting still evident on the tiles, and labels still attached to edging. The tap in the sink doesn't fit the hole ! These don't really impact on your stay but they don't create a good impression.

The good things:
Convenient
Fast reliable free WiFi
Elevator
Effective airconditioning - now it has been fixed
Friendly helpful staff - apart from the breakfast supervisor who seems to be watching everything you do.
Nice showers.
Good lighting

The not so good things:
Inconsistent supply of milk tea and towels. Two bath towels and two hand towels the first day. After that only three scratchy bath towels - no hand towels, no bath mat, no face washer. Two tea bags and two milk the first day - none after that until we asked the night staff - who were happy to provide however much we wanted :-)
Shower has nowhere to put the soap or shampoo
Our room was very noisy - see room tips.
Other than breakfast, no food service or public areas.

Overall a reasonable place to stay, but probably worth comparing price and facilities with the Holiday Inn next door.

Room Tip: Do not book room 92. The head of the bed is right next to the lift shaft so every time the lift goe...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comprehensive review. Overall it looks like you had a positive experience staying with us and I am just very glad about that. I have taken note of all your feedback as I really value them. Kindest regards. Ferdinand. GM
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for a few nights. The AC wasn’t functional in the entire building and the temperature in my room was well above 28 degrees during the day. The hotel did place a 4 inch wide fan in my room, which wasn’t very practical. It transpires after a bit of research online that the council have asked to turn the AC off because the new system makes too much noise!! Room sizes are super small, I couldn’t walk around my bed, literally wall to wall, and I could only open the window two inches from the bottom! The water pressure on the fourth floor is very very low because of a faulty water pump which hasn’t been replaced. AVOID THE FORTH FLOOR! I was visiting England for the first time, and expected more from a 3 star hotel in Kensington. Id stay in a better hotel, the Holiday Inn which is literally opposite this hotel. And avoid the bread at breakfast time, it looked stale and looked like it came out of Asda Smartprice packaging.

Room Tip: Avoid the fourth floor, there is literally a small amount of water pressure and the Hotel is well aw...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
I can only apologise for the AC problem which was completely out of our control. I know this cannot be much of a consolation for you but the issue has been resolved. I am baffled though about the other comments you made; I really hope this review is genuine. The hotel has been fully refurbished less than a year ago; say that "the owner has no money for..." it's just ridiculous. Water pump not change..? Completely untrue. I am very sorry you could not find anything positive at all about your stay with us. Ultimately, as you have put it yourself, it is all about expectations. If I may very politely suggest, as you were visiting England for the first time (but lives in London, UK...?), your idea of a three star hotel in central London does not reflect reality. Our aim is to be one of the best value for money hotel in this very nice part of the city. The majority of our guests's reviews seem to suggest we are there or at least moving in the right direction. Regards. Ferdinand. GM
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel is two blocks from the Gloucester Road tube station which has three different lines, making this super convenient to get anywhere in London including the airports. The rooms look just as they do in the pictures on the website. They are clean and comfortable. I stayed in a single room and it was the perfect size for me, and the bathroom was a good size as well. The hotel staff is friendly and helpful, and the free breakfast offered is very convenient. The pricing was beyond great. The only downfall is that the walls are rather thin so if the people in the room next to you are being loud you can definitely hear them. Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel to someone who is traveling on their own or will be in town for a short stay. I will most likely continue to stay here on my trips to London.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
Well, what can I say. Thank you very much for your nice review. I am just so glad you mentioned the price, highlighting how good value for money we are considering the location! We are looking forward to welcoming you back. Thanks again. Ferdinand. GM
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed with a child under 2 yrs, the room we were given was tiny, there was no room to move at all AND on the hottest weekend of the year there was some dispute with the other tenants in adjoining houses so they were not able to run the air con !!! It was about 35 degrees in our room and unbearable . I asked to be moved and despite being fully booked they found 1 room in the basement was was available , It was marginally cooler , but the bed was tiny and rock hard . We only stayed 1 night and wont stay there again. Staff were friendly so cant fault the service in that respect. Looks like it has had a very cheap renovation, it was not finished well at all

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
I'm just terribly sorry about the AC. Just totally out of our control. I know it's not much of a consolation for you, but this issue will be sorted out very soon. If you decide to come back, you may want to think about a Triple room; much larger, marginally more expensive.
Thanks a lot for your feedback. Best regards. Ferdinand. GM
Perth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed at thge Villa Kensington in a single room for three nights. Location was excellent, Staff more than helpful and polite. Hotel clean, breakfast fresh, really could not have asked for more from a budget hotel. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your nice and straightforward review. Glad you liked us. Take care and we hope to see you soon. Kind regards. Ferdinand. GM
Anchorage, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The staff was very nice and the room was clean. Breakfast was pretty good. We stayed here two nights and we were pleased with the experience. The price for a night's stay was a bit cheaper than others in the area.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
We do appreciate you have taken the time to leave these comments. We hope you will choose to stay with us again. Best regards. Ferdinand. GM

Been to The Villa Kensington? Share your experiences!