“Take your ear plugs with you!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Villa Kensington

You added The Villa Kensington to your Saves list
The Villa Kensington
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10 - 11 Ashburn Gardens, London SW7 4DG, England (Formerly Abcone Hotel) (Earls Court)   |
Ranked #374 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Here
“Take your ear plugs with you!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Having stayed at this hotel recently, I would not be in a hurry to return! I stayed in three different rooms in three nights...it wasn't what I expected from a hotel and was far from relaxing! In my email (and on arriving at the hotel), I asked for a quiet room...
The first night was spoilt by an extremely noisy air-con unit somewhere outside my window, which went on ALL night long. The "24 hour Reception"(!) didn't answer the phone when I called them at 11.30am asking to be moved!
The second "quiet room" was in the basement room (with a 2" gap under the door to the corridor outside) - right next to the extremely noisy lift mechanics, loud footsteps right above me as people walked across the marble floor in Reception and a really loud noise which sounded like the water system gushing - these noises were heard all night! More worryingly was the fact that I was woken at MIDNIGHT by two very noisy men using steps outside the hotel which lead to an area right outside my window (these steps aren't for customers to use). They were shifting something from a store room opposite my room. As a woman sleeping in the room alone, it was VERY scary to be woken up by the iron gates being thrown open and loud footsteps going up and down the steps. The men (staff?) seemed oblivious to the fact that there was a guest in that room! After complaining in the morning, I was (at last) given a relatively quiet room on the 3rd floor...why I wasn't given this room in the beginning, I'm not sure!
Interestingly, the Manager said she'd not had anyone complain about noise before (esp in the basement room)...perhaps she should read Trip Advisor (as I should have done before I booked!) as someone has had exactly the same problem with that basement room!

The hotel is a nice looking place, the rooms are nice and the staff were generally helpful, but I certainly wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone who would like to sleep at night...I was hoping for a relaxing time, but ended up feeling so tense and absolutely worn out from lack of sleep and the feeling of being unsafe in that basement room - certainly not somewhere that a women should stay on their own.

Room Tip: If you ask for a noisy room, you might be lucky and get a quiet one...as I asked several times for a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guest,
I am just so sorry you had such a bad experience staying with us. With the intention of making your stay better, we ended up making it worse...On the first night you had booked a Single room. We decided to upgrade you to a Double room free of charge. As it happened, the last remaining Double room was a bit noisy. The following day, not wanting to ask you to move to Single room as you had originally booked, my assistant manager offered you what in normal circumstances our guests consider to be a quiet Double room. I have personally complaint to the company delivering our laundry, because their behavior was unacceptable. I sincerely apologize to you again and I hope you will give us another chance.

Kind regards
Ferdinand

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This was my 4th stay at this hotel and my first visit since their remodel. The biggest benefits of this hotel are the location and price. It is a two-block walk from the Gloucester Tube station on the Picadilly Line (about a 30-minute underground ride from Heathrow). There are all kinds of restaurants, cafes, coffee shops nearby, and a Tesco Express and Waitrose market for take-away food & groceries. A 10-minute walk will get you to the Natural History Museum, the Victoria & Albert, the Science Museum, and a bit further down the road will take you to Harrod's and all the shops and boutiques near there.

The hotel is down a side street off of Cromwell Road so you are distanced from noisy street traffic, however rooms facing the street are noisier than the Inside rooms. Hotel staff is very nice and helpful. There is free wi-fi, and now you can purchase cold beverages (sodas, bottled water) at the front desk. They've done away with tea kettles in the rooms (not a good change in my mind) but you can get a cup of tea in the lobby.

The hotel's remodel included new carpet, drapes and updated furniture. The bathrooms have all been redone with nice tile floors and walls. The breakfast is better than before with fresh fruit, yogurt and muffins/croissants in addition to the cereals, breads & hard-boiled eggs from before.

That being said, there are a few problems with the rooms. We were on the 4th (top) floor and there was no water pressure at that level. Our showers were barely a dribble of water. The new showers are poorly designed so that you have to get INTO the shower to turn on the water, you can't reach the faucet from outside the shower. That was unpleasant as there was only cold water for the first 5 minutes. It literally took 5 minutes or more to get hot water! The only amenities offered are shampoo and shower gel - no hair conditioner or body lotion. They don't provide hand towels or floor mats (on a tile floor) - only bath towels that you have to use for all the other purposes. The hotel will provide extra towels to use but we found out you need to ask for them every day or they won't be there.

Even with these problems, I would still stay here again when in London. I have stayed here both as a single and with a friend, and it seems to be a safe neighborhood for walking around, even late at night.

Room Tip: Inside rooms will be quieter. The higher up you are the less water pressure and hot water will take...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this very comprehensive, and yes honest review. (By the way, we still provide tea and coffee making facility in every room....) I am just so glad we are your favorite hotel in London and we are looking forward to welcoming you back! We are constantly working on improving every aspects of the business and your feedback is greatly appreciate.
Ferdinand. GM
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We had a very pleasant stay in the hotel. Breakfast was good, the staff was very kind and helpfull, the room was more then ok and the location - near Gloucester road metro station -was perfect.
As my sister and I visit London every year in december , we probably will book again in yout hotel next year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Linda,
Thanks a lot for your nice feedback. We are looking forward to welcoming you back. Kind regards. Ferdinand. GM
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Villa Kensington and found it terrific value for money. The Hotel is in a great location close to Gloucester Tube Station. The hotel was spotless, staff very helpful, room was a triple and a great size. Overall thoroughly enjoyed my stay and definitely would go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Ferdinand P, Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Derek,
you absolutely understood what we are are try to do here. Many thanks for your nice review. Take care. Ferdinand. GM
Martinsburg, WV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I really enjoyed staying here 10 nights, loved the location, the staff were friendly and accommodating. Breakfast was modest but sufficient. My fault with the hotel is you cannot make a phone call from your room. I do not have a mobile that works abroad and found this very unhandy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your comments. We made a conscious decision to unable our telephone system for internal use only (the guest can still receive external phone calls in their rooms). In an age were everyone has a mobile phone, we did not feel the need to provide what historically it has always been a very expensive service for the guests (inflated hotels telephone' bills are a bit of a horror story.....). So far we had very, very few comments about the telephones, making us believe we possibly took the right decision. I am sorry it was a bit of a nuisance for you. We will keep listening to what our customers have to say and, if needed, will take the necessary steps to improve that aspect of our service.
Kind regards. Ferdinand. GM
Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Three friends who went to London for a longer weekend and chose the hotel due to location and price. We were overall satisified with our stay, good value for our money as we paid 460£ for four nights in a triple room. Yes the room wwas quite small as they are in London but it was clean and refurbished. Nice friendly staff who seemed to be eager to help though we never had any problem that needed solving. Breakfast was basic but good, what you need to start the day! A few minutes walk to the tube and bus. I can recommend this hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Guest,
We really appreciate you took the time to leave these comments. Thanks a lot and take care. Ferdinand. GM
Alfreton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

We checked in and want out for the day. When we got back and into our room (which was tiny) we noticed a resonating sound that almost vibrated the bed. After a night of broken sleep we asked if we could change rooms for the second night. We were told the noise was the air conditioning but they would move us. Out we went for the day. We were moved to a room on the lower level, the room was bigger but the noise was no better. The same noise but with added reception noise (footsteps above etc). The room was cold and the heating didn't do much to warm things up.

We moved again to the second floor, at this point we realised the lift was shuddering as it stopped, hence the noises. The third room was much better tho as it was further away from the lift, warm and comfortable.

I don't think the hotel is worth what was paid, but we got a fair service, breakfast was nice and they weren't happy if we weren't happy.

• Stayed November 2012
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your feedback and comments in particular regarding the AC. We are trying very hard to resolve these issues. I am genuinely convinced that we do offer a good value for money product. Our location is second to none, the hotel is newly refurbished, the rooms are of a decent size and the rates are very, very competitive...... We hope to see you soon. Kind regards. Ferdinand. GM

Been to The Villa Kensington? Share your experiences!