“Friendly” 4 of 5 stars

+44 20 7697 4488
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Roots at N1 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 16,890 restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: A venture of 3 professionals from The Ritz London, Benares Mayfair & The Oberoi New Delhi
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
“Friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

If you're staying in central London you'll need a taxi for this. It's not that far (in a residential area away from any tourist attractions and therefor nowhere close to where you're staying), and it is possible to take the tube, but odds are you'll get turned around somewhere. Although this is an Indian restaurant, if you're the typical American tourist, there's nothing much Indian about the food here. I'm sure plenty of people will be rolling their eyes at us for our limited world view, but I've never had Indian food that seemed this westernized (I'm sure "indian" food contains enormous variety, it's just we dont see much of it in the U.S.).

It's a nice enough looking restaurant - upscale but not "fancy". What we enjoyed the most was the friendly (not just polite/friendly, but smiley/friendly, and attentive service. The food was tasty, but nothing special. Not seeing a main course that I really wanted, I picked several small dishes instead of just a starter and a main course. The waiter seemed a bit confused about this concept, but was happy enough to serve us what we wanted.

Would we go back again? I don't think so. Not because of any disappointment, it's just that this is London and there's sooo much else to try.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Roots N, Guest Relations Manager at Roots at N1, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear jannep123,

Thank you for choosing and dining with us.

I welcome your feedback.We have a short menu and definitely do experiment with the food and Indian recipes. You did choose from our side dishes for your main meal, we do have a lot of main selection with Indian flavours.Thank you complimenting the service.

We do change our menu often, so I do invite you to come back and try. Our aim to keep improving and your feedback will certainly send us in that direction.

Rohit & team Roots

93% Recommend
UK
“Amazing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

We dined at this restaurant while we were holidaying in London. It was an incredible experience. The staff was good and very attentive. We loved the chicken. It was beautifully cooked and was scrumptious. For amazing Indian food, this is the place to go!!

• Visited October 2013
Dear alexisI,

Thank you for choosing and dining with us.It is great to hear you enjoyed the food and service. Give s the team immense satisfaction.

Look forward to seeing you with us sometime in the future.

Scotland
“Modern Indian fusion on a different level”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Having eaten in some of the best restaurants, both Indian and other, I always wonder if a new restaurant will live up to expectations. Roots at N1 certainly did. It was a Saturday night and we could only get an early booking however did not feel in the slightest bit rushed during the 3 courses we had. After an amuse bouche, each course was beautifully presented by knowledgeable and friendly staff. Food was enjoyably different, (do not expect a run of the mill Indian restaurant) and it was great to be able to sample food which had been so carefully prepared and well thought out. Tastebuds were tingling! I do not think, as some people have said in their reviews, that it was overpriced. It depends whether you want to eat an ok curry or go to Roots for what essentially is Indian fine dining at it's best. I would certainly go back, if in London, and would recommend that you give this place a try. Good selection of wine with a recommendation for each course if you wish. Lovely, lovely evening here and lovely staff.

Dear Ginger005,

Thank you for choosing us and dining with us. The team is delighted that someone well traveled as yourself enjoyed your evening with us.

Thank you for endorsing our pricing, we have tried our best to keep things reasonable.

Look forward to seeing you with us sometime in the future.

reading, berkshire, UK
“One of the Best Indian Meals Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We booked Roots for my husband's birthday and we had a really enjoyable meal - it is not your usual Indian menu - it is much more refined - my husband had the soft shell crab and I ate the lamb chops - both were delicious. For mains I chose the butter chicken which was flavourful but subtle I really enjoyed it and my husband chose the lamb shank which melted in your mouth. Each dish comes with a wine recommendation all of which were very complimentary. The service was excellent too. The restaurant is in a quiet residential area of Angel but is well worth seeking out - you don't get groups of people just popping in for a chicken tikka masala. If you are in the area I would definitely book at this lovely intimate restaurant - oh and another thing they DO NOT add service charges which I really appreciated as I find in London now they add service charges in nearly every restaurant - I prefer to tip on the service that I have received and I would tip these guys as their service was second to none.

Dear blueandwhitehoops,

Thank you for choosing and dining with us.

It is great to hear you chose your husband's birthday to dine with us. The team is delighted that we made your evening a memorable one.

Look forward to seeing with us sometime again in the future.

Los Angeles, California
“Stellar food, impeccable service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

My husband and I ate here based on Tripadvisor reviews, and we were not disappointed. At first he was not so keen on Indian, but after our drinks and appetizers arrived, he was sold.

We started off with the signature cocktail, an apple martini with clove-infused vodka. It was smooth, spicy, and delicious. Then we had the soft shell crab and tilapia appetizers. The crab was so good I didn't want to share it.

For mains we had butter chicken and venison with sauce and lentils. The meat was perfectly cooked--succulent and moist and melt in your mouth good. It is definitely not standard Indian fare.

The staff were very attentive and helpful, and we loved that each meal had a wine pairing. The restaurant itself is lovely and intimate.

This is one of the best meals we've ever had, and we would easily recommend it to anyone who asked!

Dear Erika C,

Thank you for choosing and dining with us.

The team is delighted to hear you enjoyed the evening with us and liked the food and drinks.Thank you complimenting the service as well.

Look forward to seeing with us sometime in the future again.