“Excellent food” 4 of 5 stars

+44 20 7697 4488
Website
Update restaurant details
Reserve with toptable
Update
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 16,489 restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: A venture of 3 professionals from The Ritz London, Benares Mayfair & The Oberoi New Delhi
Bath, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

A friendly greeting from helpful and polite staff. Comfortable atmosphere and an interesting menu. The food was well cooked and tasty. Good value for money and look forward to visiting again.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Roots N, Guest Relations Manager at Roots at N1, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Chachani,

Thank-you for dining with us. Its great to hear that you liked the food and service. We look forward to seeing you with us sometime in the future.

92% Recommend
Ardee, Ireland
“A Let Down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I went with two friends for a low key birthday celebration for one of them.

Reserving a table was no problem as this was midweek and there were very few customers, for the most part it was just us and one or two other tables.

Two of us ordered the same starter the curled squid, after what seemed like an interminable wait we were both brought the wrong starter and given the crab instead, when we pointed this out the waiter told us to eat it anyway and he would bring out the correct starter, which he did almost immediately. I couldn't understand why after waiting so long to be brought the wrong starter how they were able to rectify this so quickly.

Of the two starters that we now had to eat our way through the crab was awful, dry and covered in some kind of chewy batter, I was glad we weren't going to have to pay for it.

My curled squid was not too bad although it was on the small side.

I had the lamb chops as a main which were nicely presented, but gone in two mouthfuls.

I think it's a bit of a misnomer for this restaurant to describe itself as an Indian, it's more of an attempt at Fusion fine dining, unfortuntaely I think it fails, patchy and poor service combined with tiny nouvelle cuisine type portions left us dissapointed and seriously out of pocket.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Roots N, Guest Relations Manager at Roots at N1, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear EddieBosano- Andrews,

Thank-you for dining with us. Please accept my apologies for delivering the wrong dish to you and delayed service. Certainly we did fail to deliver the high standards of service we have set for ourselves.

I am disappointed personally that your first restaurant review was not a good one. The Chef and myself have spoken about the crab and we will certainly improve on that front.

You will be surprised to see the prices and portions if you compare us with some of the other Restaurants. I welcome your feedback as it gives us a chance to look within and improve further.

London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I booked a table at Roots online for a Saturday evening. Whilst booking I had mentioned it was my boyfriend's birthday and so asked if we could be given, if available, one of their best tables. We arrived and were very warmly greeted, we were given lots of help in ordering the correct amount of food and the waiter was very helpful in suggesting wines (the wine he suggested was very good and went perfectly with the delicious lamb we ordered for mains). The food was beautifully presented and the little amuse-bouche in-between courses were a lovely addition. But really the five star rating I have given is for the service - unknown to either myself or my boyfriend whilst we were about to start looking at the dessert menu the waiter brought over a complimentary plate with a layered chocolate dessert decorated with 'Happy Birthday' and even a little candle. It was such a lovely surprise! It made the evening really special - thank you!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear Waterloo 107,

It was great to have you on a special. Gives me and team great delight to hear that you had a lovely time with us. Thank-you for complimenting the food and service.

Look forward to seeing you with us soon.

Rohit
Milan, Italy
“amazing indian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

we had a great dinner at roots
food was simply amazing
staff very friendly and helpful (if i could give a 10stars rating for service, i would do it!)
not overpriced.
it definitely worth the trip to islington. don't miss it!

Dear Valentina R2,

Thank-you for dining with us. It was great to have you with us.I am glad that you enjoyed your evening with us.Look forward to seeing you with us again.

belgium
“Thank you”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I showed up here on Sunday evening last. Staying at kings cross four of us were looking for an Indian restaurant. I asked someone in the street near Caledonian way who told me to go to this restaurant. When we got there, it was full, but, thankfully they managed to get us a table after a short wait. The food was outstanding, service perfect, friendly and welcoming. Thank you we will be back, and thanks for your patience as I translated for everyone at the table!

Dear Belgium Biker,

It was a great pleasure to have you and your group with us.The team and myself are glad that you enjoyed the evening with us. Look forward to seeing with us soon.