“Evening time restriction” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
London
“Evening time restriction”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

This restaurant is located next door to the Vue cinema. And is around a seven minute walk from Angel Tube station. The price is reasonable and the selection offered is not bad. However, each time I have visited the restaurant in the evening people I am with comment of the feeling of being rushed.

When a member of staff was asked 'why the rush' the reply was there is a two hour maximum seating policy.

This does not appear to be the case at lunch time and only happens in the evening when the restaurant is more busy.

If you would like to take your time over your meal and don't want to experience the distinctive feeling that your two hours are up - then a lunch time visit to this restaurant would be better.

The surrounding area is vibrant with local shops, supermarkets and a local street market (Chapel Market) which makes Angel an interesting place to spend a few hours.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“No gourmet food here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

By no strech of the imagination can this restaurant claim to live up to its name as Gourmet Buffet. It offers an all you can eat buffet for £6.50 at lunch time and £10.90 in evenings. The food is at best mediocre. The restaurant is popular with local very overweight people, no doubt indiffent to the poor quality of the food and attracted by the all you can eat policy. This place would not last five minutes in Chinatown. Not recommended

• Visited March 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Dover, United Kingdom
“Well I rather liked it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

Visited on a Wednesday evening at 1900 hours. Restaurant was about 50% full and I was quickly shown to a table. Very pleasant young male waiter took drinks order and asked if I had ever visited before. When I said no he explained the system.

1. Buffet table as per most Chinese Buffets.
2. Teriyaki bar - chefs will cook fresh from a mix of raw ingredients (veg, meat and noodles) chosen by you in a chiller cabinet nearby. Chose what sauce you wish it to be cooked in and a few minutes later a delicious freshly cooked plate of food awaits you. Alternatively chose one of their numbered pre-planned selections for the chef to cook.
3. Ice cream to follow upon request.

Buffet table - good selection of starters - tried salt & pepper chicken wings which were , delicious, prawn toast which OK was not very good, spring rolls which yes were small, but I have had similar ones in many other take aways and buffets, no complaint from me.

Choice of 2 soups - chicken and sweetcorn, didn't try and Won Ton, which was extremely good as far as I was concerned, so nice I had 2 bowls.

Crispy Duck, tasted fine.

Main courses, on the buffet these were varied, as was the quality. Superb singapore noodles, excellent mix chop suey, highlight was dish of stir fried broccoli and garlic. Meat dishes - good roasted duck, large, tasty meaty pieces, good Chinese pork, satay chicken was fine, no problems for me there.

None of the dishes I tasted, or others that I saw were dried out or looked like they had been there a long time, indeed I saw at least half of the dishes replaced with newly cooked fresh replacements, BEFORE the dishes on the buffet table were empty, surely a good sign.

Service very attentive but not intrusive, Teriyaki bar dishes cooked swiftly for everyone I saw, and tasted fine.

Ice cream to follow, is whipped soft ice cream, but it tasted fine to me. Yes the bowl was small, but as soon as I had finished I was offered a refill.

Price was £10.90, plus £3 for a bottle of Tiger beer.

I liked this buffet, it's staff and most importantly it's food. I do not recognise the restaurant I visited last night from the 2 earlier reviews. Perhaps their critiscisms have indeed been taken on board. I would happily visit again.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Gourmet Chinese buffet with the poorest standards of food quality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

Gourmet Buffet, located in London Islington, is nothing about like “gourmet” food at all. Went there yesterday on the 1st of November 2011 with my husband and was really disappointed with quality of the food as well as service of the staff. This was the worst Chinese buffet I have ever tried in London, and after this visit my desire to try Chinese food again any time soon has completely disappeared.
First of all, that was not hot buffet, but just a slightly warm food if not to say cold. The food itself was disgusting, with no flavour and tasted wrong. We had different types of chicken and none of them was of good quality, and was too dry. The sauce that it was served with was impossible to eat, bitter and greasy. Potatoes also tasted very bitter, cooked on very bad soy sauce. Spring rolls were too hard, there was hardly any staffing, that was the flattest spring roll I have ever had! All the fried food was probably fried in the same oil for several times. We could not eat this food and it is just wrong and dangerous to have cold meal, so we decided to go for another round and try something else, but with no luck again, the food was really cold. Fried wedges had too much pasty coating, the prawns were terrible. The only food that I liked was noodles. Even apple juice didn’t taste like apple at all, with too much ice and mixed with water, I made few sips but even though was very thirsty I couldn’t drink it! For £10.00 per person you would expect a better quality, I had much better Chinese buffet for a lesser price.
My husband wanted to talk to a manager and complain about the quality and food being cold. It took a while for a manager to come to us. He persuaded us the buffet was of the proper temperature of 80 degrees but there is no way it can be true. He also told us they “keep the standards of the food quality”, so it must be really low standards! We were ensured that that`s a kind of apple juice they have, it is not from concentrate and they do not add water to it. We were also told that no one from their customers have ever complained about the food quality or buffet being cold. But if you look around what customers they have – they are mainly students or people who are after some cheap food. There was no solution provided to complain apart from offering us new hotter plates. However, we were fed up and did not want to have any more the “quality standard” food, and just wanted to leave. At the till we received a full bill with no discount; I was hoping to get at least small compensation. The manager thanked us saying they were hoping to see us again soon, wishing us a nice evening, and was saying it with a sarcastic smile on his face. Never would I recommend this place to anyone, the price is not worth its poor quality and service.

• Visited November 2011
LONDON
“LILLIAN THE RESTAURANT REVIEWER”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

Islington/ Angel North London has an excellent choice of restaurants mostly on the 'strip' so the competition is fierce and the choice is so good for all tastes . I was out with a member of my family and we decided to try for the first time the Gourmet buffet Chinese restaurant. It looked a reasonable price at £9.50 per person for dinner, all you can eat with a free sweet , drinks extra . The place is clean and spacious and the staff attentive and you are not rushed. It is situated on the top floor of a small shopping mall .
We were seated quickly but it was not busy about 3/4 empty but to be fair this was a Sunday evening at 20.30 hours and it is opposite the Vue cinema and a night club so I suppose we have to take into account the strip outside is always quite busy with more choice of restaurants.
We went to the buffet , the plates were on top of the bain marie hotplate but they were cold. I chose a very small portion at first of most of my favourites , there were mini spring rolls, sweet and sour chicken, curry, rice, prawns seaweed which is actually finely sliced deep fried cabbage , and all the types of Chinese food that lovers of this cuisine would be familiar with.
The food was cold, the spring roll were hard, the rice was not fresh, the sweet and sour chicken dry, but to be fair there was some sweet and sour sauce in a separate dish but it was a case of scraping the bottom to get a small spoonful and was never replaced whilst we were there . the satay was flavourless and tough . I left most as it was cold and inedible, then I thought well lets be fair and try something else, chips, these too were cold and soggy, prawn crackers soggy , I would suggest if you are really hungry and don't mind chomping on a piece of chicken for a while and you don't mind hot food cold, then you will enjoy this place, why I can not fathom it out , what the heck was the fish in breadcrumbs, I have no idea . the free sweet, The cheapest smallest swirl of ice cream.
the weirdest thing you don't actually get a bill, I went up to the till and they passed me a bill for my table , how did they do that? how did they know what table bi was on ? i never uttered a word and they did not ask me.
No not recommended and would not go again.

• Visited July 2011