“It was worth a revisit - very good pizza restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
London, United Kingdom
“It was worth a revisit - very good pizza restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My only previous experience of Santa Maria was when I bought a take-away pizza well over a year ago. The wait, the chaos and the soggy pizza which was handed to me put me right off.
However, recently a few friends of my girlfriend have been raving about the place and because one of her friends is a native of Naples it seemed time to try again.
So, we visited last night after my girlfriend finished a late shift at work.
We had to sit outside because the inside tables were all taken, but that was no hardship. despite the change in the weather.
Our orders were taken quickly, drinks served immediately, no sign of the chaos seem in my previous visit even though the place was full.
The pizza was excellent though a little thicker in the base than I was expecting, but it was hot, perfectly cooked and the toppings generous enough. It wasn't perfect, but it was very good.
Is it the best pizza in London? I honestly don't know, but it certainly is way better than average.
Like other posters I did notice that the staff like to speak Italian - why not? They're Italian, but I never felt as if we were being insulted, and my girlfriend who can speak Italian didn't think so either.
I liked it, and plan to return.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Santa Maria rocks! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I am personally shocked to read Andy Gs review. The staff are not arrogant. The restaurant is always very busy and I have been several times over the past year and I have never experienced any problems with the staff. They handle the busy and fast turnover of diners very well. They are always accommodating and try they're best to find you a table.

The pizzeria is so popular and the venue is so small so there is always a wait for the table. This is a given. They do not take bookings. And they can afford to keep the system this way as they are the best pizzas in London! Also having to wait in the pub next door isn't so bad is it?!

I don't understand why so many people whine about this. They don't take Bookings. So if you don't wanna wait get a bloody take away and eat on the streets.

“45 minutes for a decent pizza...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Ultimately the pizzas are delicious. But having been told 25 minutes wait for a takeaway only to arrive to pick up (and stand outside) for a further 25 minutes wait for the second time in 2 months I'm not sure it's worth it. A pity. The staff seem unorganised and I'm sure losing my custom won't bother them as 11 people were waiting (outside) for tables or takeaway but their lack of concern over customer satisfaction isn't overly comforting.

A nice pizza. But I'd say invest in a dough hook and make your own.

“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Terrible! staff arrogant and rude, me and my girlfriend had the wrong pizza and an overpriced bill .
Seriously don't go there

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Good pizza considering London standards”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

so, considering the kind of pizza you find in London I think that Santa Maria is pretty good and well above average. I personally prefer "roman pizza" thinner and crunchier, but maybe I am just being a picky Italian! :)

My pizza was quite tasty, the base was a bit too thick and chewy for my taste and slightly burned.
I am giving this restaurant 3 stars because of the overall experience: food was good but we had to wait more than 1 hour to get our table (fortunately there is a pub next door!) and the place is so small and packed that it is a bit chaiotic.

What I really really liked was the ice-cream (Oddono's ice cream), just a few flavours but extremely good!

Staff are friendly and price quite convenient, I might go there again.

• Visited September 2013