“True Luxury and Hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   101 Buckingham Palace Road, London SW1W 0SJ, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #145 of 1,054 Hotels in London
Kentucky
“True Luxury and Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My sister and I spent 4 days in London, primarily to attend a Buckingham Palace Garden Party to celebrate the Queen's 60th anniversary of her coronation. Since it was a short trip, we splurged on this glorious, completely refurbished hotel, that evokes all the luxury of the golden age of travel, and London's essence of Victorian Charm, with every modern convenience. When we checked in we felt immediately welcomed and cared for by SRIJITA who helpfully suggested we upgrade our room to include the Executive Lounge. Tripadvisor reviewers had also suggested this so we said YES and boy were we glad we did. What a delight to stroll down the hall every morning to a complete English breakfast, and settle down in the evening with a glass of wine and light snacks. The hotel has a back entrance to Victoria Station train and underground. We did not hear ANY noise whatsoever, but appreciated the convenience of being that close to transportation. We were within easy walking distance .... maybe 15 minutes... of Buckingham Palace for our big day on Friday, the Garden Party. We rented bicycles close by and toodled along the Thames to The Tower of London, spent the day at Westminster Abbey with Evensong choir performance that took our breath away. Per square inch I don't think there's anywhere else in England with more history than the Abbey. We had a magical trip. Home too soon, but we remember Srijita's gracious manner, her smart tips (she even had the kitchen pack a breakfast picknick for us to eat in the Taxi at 5am on the way to Heathrow!) and delightful greetings when we met up with her at the Executive Lounge. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: Definitely get the room upgrade to include Executive Lounge
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Grosvenor, London, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for your kind post and positive feedback about your recent stay with us. I was really pleased that Srijita looked after you so well and will pass your comments on to her and the team. We have recently invested £20million in restoring our hotel to its former Victorian splendour and are delighted with the results and comments we have received from many of our guests. I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards, Ian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

this hotel is fantastic, clean and very friendly staff I felt like id walked into a film set as ive only seen hotels like this in films. Fantastic for site seeing as only a short distance from all attractions eg Buckingham palace,big ben and London eye me and my daughter had a great stay would use again in the future

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your fantastic post. I was delighted to read you felt you had walked into a film set and you would use us again in the future. I look forward to seeing you both again soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My Friend, my son and myself stayed 3 nights at this wonderful, centrally located hotel. It has recently been refurbished - and to a very high standard. Most of the staff were very helpful - particularly Sonali & Heetashee. The very pleasant worker who was working in the executive lounge at night - could not be more helpful!
Breakfast in this same room was pleasant enough - but ran out of food quickly even though it did not appear that busy. However, if you had time to wait - eventually nice food arrived and breakfast could continue.
It is a very central venue for all the usual attractions - and having an entrance to the station is very convenient. Although not a wheelchair user, it was good to see the hotel was accessible for people via an external platform lift for wheelchair users, and staff appeared to have knowledge on how to use and support wheelchair users using this lift.
The rooms were very spacious, clean and quiet (room 104), although it was next to a train station, and staff were very prompt to equip with additional towels on request (initially only 2 sets of towels for 3 people in the one room).
Overall the hotel deserves it's 4 star award - and I would recommend staying here to friends considering a London break.
Many thanks 3 visitors from Scotland

Room Tip: room 104 was spacious and quiet
Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post. We do have a very central location and are perfectly positioned to enjoy all the sights that London has to offer. Thank you for your compliments regarding Heetashee and Sonali which I have enjoyed sharing with them. I’m pleased that you decided to stay with us and would recommend us to your friends who may be considering a London break. I look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us in the future.

Pambula, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Convenient location does not make up for 2 drawbacks - small "wing" rooms, even tho nicely appointed, give little space to move around. Apart from that, 2 lifts and a considerable walk to get to our room, meant that we didn't backtrack to the room once we left it.
Biggest drawback for Aussies travelling home is that there is not the ability to organise a late checkout except if you are prepared to pay a hefty hourly rate. With flights leaving late in the evening, Aussies try to maximise their last day in London. Having a late checkout gives the ability to have a shower and change of clothes just before leaving. We had to shower in the morning, don our travel clothes, store our luggage and then go straight to the airport. That last day was raining for us so, to boot, we were wet. Other hotels in London do this free of charge with late checkouts at 2 or 3pm.
For this reason we won't use the Grosvenor again in London.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post. I’m sorry that you found your room small and a considerable walk to get to. Our building dates back to 1862 and the shapes and sizes do vary around the building. I regret that we could not accommodate you with a late check out, especially with your flight leaving late in the evening. We do offer secure luggage facilities for any guests who have a late flight and do our utmost to offer a late check out if the hotel isn’t busy, unfortunately when the Hotel is fully booked we are not always able to provide this. I do hope you will give us another chance.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights in this hotel and it was an EXCEPTIONAL hotel to stay in, NOTHING was too much trouble for the professional staff.
The location is excellent as it is above Victoria station. The hotel is gorgeous and glamorous and our room was superb. We stayed in a Deluxe room on the 3rd floor, beds were unbelievably comfortable and bathroom spacious enough for 2.
We didn't eat in the hotel as we were out and about, so I can't comment on food, restaurants.
EXCELLENT LOCATION, FRIENDLY & EFFICIENT STAFF, BEAUTIFUL HOTEL. Would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your excellent post. I was delighted to share your comments with my team and thrilled to read that you would thoroughly recommend us. We hope to see you again soon.

Gurgaon, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed at this hotel a few times while on business, most recently in March 2013. Very conveniently located, adjacent to Victoria station (there's a door opposite the reception that leads directly into the station). The staff are friendly and professional. Rooms are well furnished and modern, but small by any standard (I've stayed in both a single and a double room, and had the same opinion about both). Announcements from the station can be head very faintly in some rooms. A buffet breakfast was included in the room rate and was more than adequate in general, though I was travelling with a vegetarian colleague, who didn't have as much to choose from. I don't think the breakfast choices change daily, so you could get tired of it if you stayed more than a couple of days. Did not have any other meal at the hotel. I'd pick this hotel again - it is generally reasonable value for money, given hotel rates in London.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that face Victoria station, particularly if it is a low floor. You could be kept up at n...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post. We do have a great location here at Victoria and the side entrance which takes you straight onto the station concourse is especially convenient on a wet day in London! The Grosvenor dates back to 1862 and because of this we do have several different shapes and sizes of bedrooms I do regret that on both occasions you found your room to be small. I hope to welcome you back to stay with us in the near future.

Rancho Santa Fe, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My family & I have the weird distinction of staying at one of the best hotels in London & one of the worst all within a couple days of each other! The Grosvenor House is an exquisitely elegant hotel in an ideal location with the most superb staff imaginable. We had two adjoining rooms for my two teens & husband & I. The rooms where grand yet maintained a graceful charm that kept them from feeling too stuffy. We had just come off of a cruise ship, therefore we were SO delighted by the natural light, decor & spaciousness of the bathrooms. We had breakfast every morning on the executive level, as well as afternoon tea which was soooo nice it often served as our dinner. Well, after a quick little jaunt to Paris we thought we were on our way back to the states, but my husband surprised us with tickets to see Daniel Radcliffe in the play, The Cripple of Inishmaan in London! Awesome!!!!!! Here comes the reality check part: the Grosvenor House was totally booked so we stayed at The Comfort Inn Buckingham Palace. Sounds fancy right? Ummm, well, in retrospect it's pretty funny, the basement bedroom with 4 of the narrowest cots I've ever seen, the room shaking every time the tube went by reminded me of that movie "Seven", the un-open-able windows, etc.! We knew how special the Grosvenor House was, we really, really did, but, lets just say this little reality check gave us even more appreciation for it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Grosvenor, London? Share your experiences!