“Beware of station announcements.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Winter Offer from £155
Ranked #165 of 1,065 Hotels in London
“Beware of station announcements.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is built around a busy train station and our room on 2nd floor was level with the loud speakers on the train platforms which ran for 7am to 10.00pm. The hotel reception desk said they had never had any complaints. Rubbish! Also the room was quite small and they did offer to move us if we continued to complain, but it became too hard, and we left he next day. Service in the breakfast room was slack. This country needs a wake up call as they just don't get the meaning of service.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Aktau, Kazakhstan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Its been a great stay at the hotel. Nice decor, newly renovated rooms, very cordial staff.
The unique thing about this hotel was the fragrance around the lobby and common lounges. When we returned sore and tired after the city sightseeing trips, the ambiance made it refreshing, every time we returned. An old world charm. The location was wonderful, with hop on hop off at the doorstep. A direct access to Victoria station terminal added to the convenience. We could not ask for more in terms of accessibility.

The Imperial restaurant was very nice, very good food and service.

A special mention to perfect water temperatures in the bath, very relaxing, indeed

2 minors cons: checking in took some time, but not too much of an hassle. Its was rather busy the day we arrived. The floor in our room was uneven and creaky. With such nice styling, it would be a good thing to take care of the stuff under the carpet ;-)

Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: We stayed away from the station , facing the road on 3rd floor Light noise of traffic. Room was comf...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Grosvenor, London, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post. I was thrilled you had a wonderful stay and enjoyed our old world charm as well as our relaxing bath with the perfect temperature. Thank you for your feedback on our fragrance in the lobby which is citrus and perilla. I will look into the uneven flooring; thank you for letting us know. I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. We had a king room and the bed was so comfortable with nice pillows and a cozy down comforter. The bathroom was nice but the shower was challenging because it was not what we are used to. First of all, you have to step over a very tall tub to get in and then there's not a shower curtain or door, just a half glass wall so the floor got all wet whenever we showered. The hotel is connected to Victoria station which was great because we used the Tube as our main transportation. The train station had several cafe's so we grabbed breakfast there every morning before heading out. Overall it was a great hotel, we were comfortable and enjoyed our stay. The one negative thing was that there is a bus stop right outside the entrance and it was hard to walk down the sidewalk when leaving the hotel due to the people waiting for the bus.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Grosvenor, London, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Reviewer.

Thanks for your post. I was pleased that you had a comfortable and enjoyable stay with us. We do have another entrance to the Hotel that is less busy than the main entrance and my team would be very happy to show you this route next time you stay we us. I hope to welcome you back next time you are in the United Kingdom.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

London hotels are sold out so got stuck with this place. The rooms are actually quite nice, having been renovated not too long ago, but the rest of the experience of day 1 here has been comical to say the least.

Had pre-booked the previous night as I was flying in early morning. Check-in lady was quite clueless - even her colleague was also rolling his eyes from behind. Got a room on the 1st floor overlooking an absolutely filthy rooftop of the building next door. Felt like I had a window into a garbage dump. For £450+ a night, one would have thought a better room would have been made available. Decided to upgrade to an exec room for an additional £30 and thankfully got another very nice room which had a much better view.

Then my mobile went dead so had to use the hotel phone. Turns out they hadn't swiped my credit card for additional expenses so I couldn't make the call until I went to the reception to authorize the card again. Some cajoling led to a waiver of the requirement to walk down to the lobby in my PJs and the call was made. Later the same issue arose when room service was ordered - "Sir, you have to pay cash as your card has not been charged for guaranteeing additional charges or you have to go down to the lobby". Another call to the reception explaining the absurdity of the situation was made and they agreed to let me sign the bill.

Left for meetings and put on the service-the-room sign, only to come back a few hours later to find that it hadn't been serviced. And another call to the reception and a meaningless apology later, I left the room for other meetings. 4 hours later, back in the room and still no service. Yes, yet another call was made and the cleaning ladies finally come to tidy up the room. I prefer to reuse towels but today I didn't so I had put it on the floor for washing, only to find that it was folded and put back on the rack (rarely do hotels leave towels for reusing back on the rack, but this hotel seems to have it backwards). And then I find a hand towel and shower gel bottles in the sink. Not entirely sure why they would leave them there.

I'm just laughing now. It seems there isn't anyone actually running this hotel. Staff just land up every morning and do whatever they think needs to be done. They are very sweet but I don't think there's a plan here.

Note to self - if this is the only hotel that's available in London on future business trips, cancel the trip.

Room Tip: Avoid the 1st floor rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
West Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

On arrival , the porter helped our group with their luggage.
We arrived early however we could pre-check in. The lady on Reception desk, advised that we could store our luggage and if we returned back at @ 3pm we would then be given our keys to our room and our luggage will be awaiting in our room.The lady on desk also asked if we had stayed at the hotel before, and we informed her no, this was our first time. She welcomed us both to the hotel, and then explained where to go for Breakfast and also advised the time of when the Breakfast was available from and too. If we had any issues with our Room, to report to Reception and they would help to sort out our issue. Perfect check in, lovely lady. Excellent start to our weekend in London. We then went out to explore some of the sites, first being Camden , ( very busy) Weather was good, however we did experience a rain shower. When we arrived back, we were given our keys and when we got to our room (3rd floor) our luggage was waiting.
Our room was lovely, 2 single beds, but we believe that they were in fact a bigger size to a standard single. Bathroom was white and black, over average size. Huge wardrobe space, including, umbrella , ironing board, iron, coat hanger.
On the left hand side we had a free safe, including fridge, tea and coffee facilities, kettle etc etc
Desk, table, including chair , and lastly a wooden jewellery box and when opened a mirror!
Again this was a lovely touch.
Very clean and we had plenty of facilities for our length of stay.
This Hotel is perfect location. You have a couple of pubs near by. (walking distance ) you have Victoria railway station, and the underground around the corner, so again in a few mins walking distance you can be on a tube, In the station, you also have marks and spencers, superdrug, and a wetherspoon pub.... More shops too, but unable to remember the names!
Great night sleep.
Breakfast excellent. A good choice of cereal, hot buffet food, ie bacon sausage etc etc
Fruit, and fruit juices too, The service was just perfect, excellent.
Check out was 12noon however our coach was not picking us up until 6pm. The hotel let us store our luggage at no extra cost.
I would recommend this hotel , and I would stay here again.
Thanking to all the staff.

Room Tip: no helpful room tips, 3rd floor was good for us.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for your detailed post. I was delighted that your weekend in London started with our excellent Receptionist and you liked our lovely touches. We hope to welcome you and your family back to our hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Beautiful building and inside. Rooms average, noisy and curtains let light in. But the annoying problem is the extra charges on almost everything. They add 12.5% onto everything. Stairs everywhere meaning Concierge are necessary at extra charge. I requested my room be serviced early as I was hosting a few colleagues there prior to a meeting. Room cleaned by 15.30! Oh, they do not allow you to take food or drink to your rooms requiring you to buy everything in house so add 12.5% to that. The long black hairs that appear daily in the bathroom appear to be exempt from the 12.5% surcharge. I will not stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for non wing rooms!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post. I was really disappointed to read your comments and I regret that despite our beautiful building our service let your down during your stay with us.

I’m sorry to hear that you won’t be staying with us again

Kind regards,
Ian
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The Grosvenor is not just a hotel. It is an experience. As soon as you step into its historic lobby you know you are in for something different. I had booked the Grosvenor simply because I wanted a quick escape route from Central London to Gatwick Airport. Little did I realise, The Grosvenor is right on top of Victoria Station which runs the super efficient Gatwick Express every 15 minutes. Allthis was a real bonus but as well, the Grosvenor is so central to many Londons best tourist attractions. Our room was small but comfortable and the meal at the restaurant was first rate and without the cost of a kings ransom. At our departure, Reception performed beyond he call of duty in confirming details of our next accommodation in Spain. So allin all, a great experience at the Grosvenor. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your glittering post. I was thrilled that you both enjoyed your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you both back to stay with us in the near future.

Kind regards, Ian

Been to The Grosvenor, London? Share your experiences!