“PERFECT IN EVERY WAY” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #163 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Boston Lincolnshire
“PERFECT IN EVERY WAY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

As with any review for any hotel on trip advisor, the Grosvenor Victoria is no exception in receiving both outstandingly excellent & extremely poor comments.
Like any other large organisation, you're not dealing with a Mr or Mrs Grosvenor but whoever answers the phone or turns your bed on that particular day & no-matter how many training days the staff receive, personal feelings / problems sometimes show through. Bulbs blow & taps start to drip at sometime in their existence ! Be realistic !
Everything has been said on here by previous reviewers, both good & bad so this is just a list of the things I experienced from start to finish.
November 2012, I NEEDED a hotel for a specific Saturday night in May 2013 as I had booked a train trip which started from Victoria Station on the Sunday morning. The fact that the Grosvenor Hotel formed part of the Station with a direct access door from the platforms made it a perfect choice.
I phoned the hotel direct on the old Thistle Hotels number. No need to pay expensive call charges !
I was redirected to Central Reservations & quoted £238 for 2 people in a Standard room for 1 night, managed to get it down to £196 if I paid in advance with no breakfasts.
Saw on the Tripadvisor page links to several dot com companies. The most competitive of these was Hotelsclick.com.
As all the web pages for Guoman Hotels state,,,,,, "Best Price Guarantee You won't find us cheaper anywhere else" I phoned Grosvenor Reception again, spoke to a very helpful young lady & e-mailed the address she gave me. No reply! ! As I was anxious to make the surprise booking while my wife was away from the computer, later that day I found a different e-mail address & sent a copy of the message.
SIX DAYS LATER I received a reply from "Guoman Rooms Sales Agent" with an even more expensive "Best available price" of £250.80 + a message,,,, quote,,, "I understand this is more than the rate you were quoted, therefore it would be advisable to approach the travel agent and book through them."
So much for the Guoman "Best Price Guarantee You won't find us cheaper anywhere else" statement.
This was explained some months later by a message from Reservations Admin,,,,, “If you find a lower publicly available rate for the hotel in question, on a competing website, prior to, or within 24 hours of booking your hotel room, simply submit a Best Rate Guarantee Claim to us and we will create a new reservation for you honouring that lower rate.”

I booked through Hotelsclick for the price of £153 including breakfast.
This is NOT an advertisement for Hotelsclick as after I'd booked & paid, I read some frightening stories about non bookings & cancellation charges from this Italian based company. Use your own search engine to check if you have concerns. Even though my payment had been taken correctly & I immediately received a Hotel Voucher by e-mail at the time of booking, just to be sure I phoned the Grosvenor reception in January 2013 & a most helpful Sonali confirmed we were booked in, gave me the Guoman booking number, explained the layout of various rooms & even allocated us a room there & then which would best suit our requirements. BRILLIANT !
On arrival, the small, rear entrance to the hotel from the station was well signed & easy to find. Check in was efficient, friendly & quick. Room 555 overlooking the station roof was much bigger than I was expecting, extremely clean, quiet, well equipped & comfortable.
The evening meal & breakfast were both excellent. We would definitely use the Grosvenor Hotel again.

Room Tip: Talk to a helpful receptionist, check which will be the quietest rooms during the time of your stay.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed in the Grosvenor for three nights in one of their standard single rooms. Room is relatively small but very clean, tidy and got all the basics. I went out most time of the days hence it was okay. Shower was very nice and there were shampoo and shower gel.

The location was very convenient, right next to Victoria Coach Station, train station as well as the tube. The area was quite busy even midnight hence I felt safe when I went back to the hotel almost 12.00 a.m. one night.

Service was excellent. Staff was very pro-active in helping with my luggage (there are a few steps at the hotel entrance). Reception was also very helpful. I arrived very early in the morning and was able to get my room around 12.00 noon (official check-in time is 3.00 p.m.) so I could fresh'in up a bit before my meeting. I was very pleased about that. Wifi was free and don't require password. Very convenient.

The Lobby was beautiful, very nicely decorated. I saw many people taking pictures there.

I will definitely stay at the Grosvenor again in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Grosvenor, London, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post. I’m delighted that you found our service excellent and pleased that we were able to check you into your room early enough for you to freshen up.
I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The Grosvenor Hotel is a nice hotel located at Victoria Station. The rooms are very nice but small. They lack some basic amenities such as luggage racks, slippers, and robes. The bathrooms are very nice but also small. The breakfast is fantastic and the staff is very attentive to your needs. Since it is in a large high priced city it is not overly expensive.
Location is great, walking distance to many of London's sites.

Room Tip: Stay away from wing rooms as you may hear train announcements
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post and for the great feedback on the team. We certainly have an excellent location and I hope you managed to take advantage of this during your stay.
I look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stayed here for one night back in March as part of a trip to London to visit the theatre.

Well located, very easy access from local tube station. Excellent location for nearby shows.

Room was clean and very smart with nice bathroom (upgraded on arrival from the basic room). We were staying in a room on the road-side of the hotel but noticed little road noise.

Breakfast was excellent with a good selection.

Would definitely stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Try to get a room higher up and on the "road" rather than "tube" side of the hot...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post. We are very centrally located for a trip to the theatre and have excellent transport links via Victoria Station. I’m glad you enjoyed your breakfast and would definitely stay with us in the future. I look forward to welcoming you both back on your next trip.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Just completed a 2 night business visit to London and stayed at the Grosvenor Hotel because of its proximity to the business I was visiting.

To start with, location-wise, I think it is great, especially if you come from Gatwick Airport. The hotel is more or less on top of the Victoria station and there is an entrance right from the station.

So, check-in was fast, efficient and welcoming and I got an upgrade. Lobby is nice and if the lighting is a bit better, it may even look impressive. Anyway, I was shown to the room by a young Bulgarian concierge named Dimitar who spoke good English and was very helpful when asked for certain tips and directions.

Room was spacious by London standards and was very well equipped with LCD, BOSE sound, work desk, sofa, chairs, very comfortable bed, snow white sheets and very soft pillows, liked it. Bathroom was large, nice, perfectly clean and offers a good set of quality amenities.

The room had a nice 120 degree view. So in general room was perfect.

The evening I had a dinner at the chinese restaurant that suprised me with very good quality food and I had one of the best Cha Siu porks outside China. The restaurant manager was also very hospitable chinese man who was helping me selecting the gluten free/msg free items. The dinner was followed by a drink at the champagne lounge, which was fine too.

Next morning I had a quick coffee at the brasserie and although the service was a bit slow, the salon manager named Mohammad was very polite, entertaining and made the experience actually pleasant.

The flaws: When I arrived by taxi, the porter opened the door of the taxi and welcomed me to the hotel but did not bother to help me with the luggage, in fact even instructed me which door to use to enter with the suitcase. Not exactly good first impression.

The bigger problem was actually the noise from the street. My room had windows on two sides and I was happy with the upgrade but the noise from the street was terrible and even the wind was entering the room and the curtains were moving. Poor isolation. Had a great bed but haven't really slept for 2 nights. Didn't complain because I was on short trip anyway but wasn't good.

I also had an interesting moment when they asked me upon check in if they should pre-validate an extra balance for further charges on my credit card and I said no as I didn't understand the meaning as I am never asked for that in my 100+ hotel stays a year, and next day when I wanted to sign the bill on my room the waiter told me that I have no credit. Anyway, I think I understand what they have in mind and might be a good idea, just a bit strange.

and the TV selection is really poor but the free WIFI makes it up for it.

All in all it was a very good stay and I will come back but will ask for noise proof rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for noise proof rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I’m glad that all in all you enjoyed your stay with us but I’m sorry you found your room to be noisy. Thanks for your fantastic feedback regarding your Chinese meal in The Grand Imperial; I will certainly pass this on to the team in the restaurant.
When you book your next stay with us please drop us an email and we will ensure that you are allocated a room away from the street.

Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Birthday weekend with the girls, the hotel was wonderful, the champagne bar is a great place with a wonderful long glass feature outstanding for the photographs
The buffet breakfast was good value hot and cold bars
Room service was a bit hit and miss ( not the staffs fault) menu very limited

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Grosvenor, London, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post. I was really pleased to read your comments regarding our wonderful service and great hotel. We look forward to seeing you and the girls for another birthday weekend.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We loved staying here as it is charming and has the best location - right there at Victoria Station. We walked all over as there is so much to see. We went to see Wicked across the street one night and walked to a lovely Italian restaurant very close to the theatre. Breakfast was included and it was great - always order eggs from the waitress vs. on the buffet. We had a problem with the bathtub being backed up and they moved us immediately and sent a bottle of wine to apologize for the inconvenience. I did not mind as I know that older hotels will have some problems and I would trade a beautiful hotel with character for any modern one with none. A very pleasant experience at the hotel - the staff are wonderful. We loved the Concierge as he gave us great advice on musuems, restaurants, and attractions. It is a great hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post. I was delighted you found our hotel beautiful with character and our Concierge to be so helpful. Your kind comments have been passed on to the team. We hope to welcome you and your friends back to stay with us in the near future.

Ian

Been to The Grosvenor, London? Share your experiences!