“Breakfast service terrible” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #161 of 1,066 Hotels in London
“Breakfast service terrible”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

We had an overall good stay however the staff at breakfast were rude & unhelpful we had to ask twice for toast despite being told it was coming .Hot drinks were poured out of flasks no coffee pots or teapots in sight no offer of refills. The staff cleaned & moved tables around us & rushed us out at exactly 11 despite telling us breakfast was served until 11.

• Stayed November 2012
TGHV, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear jemaat,

Thank you for your review of the Grosvenor.

I was pleased to read that you had a good stay.

I am sorry your breakfast experience did not reflect our normally high standards, we do serve tea and coffee from flasks rather than individual pots as following guest feedback this has helped us improve the speed of service in the busy breakfast area. You should however of course have been offered re fills and I will pass the feedback regarding breakfast on to my Restaurant Manager for him to review with his team.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon and please feel free to drop me an e-mail personally if I can assist with any future booking.

Michael Parker – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Kendal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Expecting a modest but comfortable room we were greatly impressed at check-in with a complimentary up-grade. We had arrived early not expecting access to our room but in the event we were given immediate access to a lovely spacious double room which was spotlessly clean and well furnished. The staff were friendly and courteous, what really impressed us was that, in such a large hotel with many guests the staff we had spoken to only once acknowledged us later when we met them in the public areas and asked after our well-being.
We had a deal including dinner taken in the bistro which was very busy but the food was good and the service friendly. There was a huge crowd of people arriving all at once for breakfast on the Sunday morning after the clocks went forward for GMT and a long queue, however the hotel seemed to set on every available member of staff to sort the problem, they couldn't have tried harder.
We shall certainly return when we visit London again and try to get a good deal on an upgraded room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear fraserese,

Thank you for amazing review of the Grosvenor

I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

Breakfast at the weekend does indeed get very busy on Saturday and Sunday mornings but it’s great to read that my team were all on hand for this.

We have some fantastic winter special rates on our web site at the moment and we hope to see you soon.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This hotel is transformed. I would also recommend the executive rooms, with the accompanying facilities and quiet lounge for breakfast. Rooms are clean, well equipped and the staff efficient and helpful. Perfect for easy access to Victoria Station and Gatwick airport.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear mifccak,

Thank you for your marvellous review of the Grosvenor Hotel, Victoria

Our location for Gatwick is indeed fantastic with the Gatwick express taking just 30 minutes from the Airport to the Hotel entrance in the station!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Excellent direct access to Victoria station thru door off classic lobby, very handy in yucky weather (remember to check when the door will not be accessible, the hotel locks it overnight for security). We had a large room, furnished to a good international standard with everything you need and expect to find. Very comfortable bedding. All clean, everything worked. Ours overlooked the Victoria yard but was surprisingly quiet. Very nice to have casement windows that opened. Staff helpful and friendly. Even walked us down the street to show us the way when we proved incompetent at following their directions! Free wifi and if you're traveling without a device they also have a complimentary pc and printer. Definitely recommend the Grosvenor if you prefer this area of town /or/ especially if you'll be using Victoria as a frequent hub.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, quiet room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear NoOneWillAnswer,

Thank you for your great review of the Grosvenor

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

We do now indeed offer free high speed Wi-Fi for all guests in the Hotel and this is proving most popular.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon

GLASGOW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Has the Grosvenor had a change in management? It's been a few months since I stayed here whilst on business in London and stayed here again last night and was seriously impressed. From the friendly welcoming receptionst who checked me in, she then advised I was lucky enough to receive a complimentary upgrade on my room! Room was fantastic although heating not working. I asked the waiter who brought my room service meal if he knew how to fix it, which he didn't but he had maintenance in my room within about 4 minutes! Room service meal was good quality and was followed up by a call to ask if eveything is acceptable. A good nights sleep in a large comfortable bed, nice shower in the mtorning (although would have loved for it to be hotter) followed by a great self service breakfast (great selection on offer) - speedy friendly check out - what more can you ask for. Sadly only stayed for the one night on business but this will certainly be my choice next time I'm in London. The standards in this hotel have really improved, so well done to whoever is driving that, it's really noticeable to this guest. Thankyou to all at the Grosvenor for a really enjoyable stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear REVIEWKINGGlasgow,

Thank you for your fantastic review of the Grosvenor

It is always a pleasure to read such great feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon and please feel free to drop me a note if I can assist in any way.

High Peak Derbyshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed on business for 8 nights over 2 weeks. The entrance is grand but reception layout is a bit ‘awkward’. The check in was ok, though at no time was I offered any help with my baggage. I stayed in a single room (No 629) and it was the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in, there was not even room to put up the ironing board. During my second stay I was in a single room (No 407) which was far bigger. Both beds were comfortable; the TV is ok with about 20 channels, the curtains were heavy and blocked out the light. The rooms are nicely decorated and simple. There is not a great deal of wardrobe or cupboard space which was annoying. There is tea and coffee in the wardrobe!? but no bottled water. The bathroom was tidy and modern though the shower (in both rooms) was low pressure and ineffective. Internet access was free via BT open zone and worked well. The rooms had a Bose docking speaker that worked well, a kettle and hair dryer. The doors to the rooms were thin and people could be heard walking through the corridor, also announcements from Victoria station can be heard despite the windows being secured. The staff at breakfast did not seem very alert, for example: I was asked if I had been to breakfast before and on answering ‘no’ the waitress walked off and left me standing for 5 minutes before I got the attention of someone else. I was not offered any tea, coffee or toast for 4 of the mornings of my stay and had to find a waitress and ask for myself. The food selection at breakfast was good, though the hotel was having a refurb in one dining room which meant the room in use for self service of breakfast was poorly set up, quite often eggs and sausages ran out and were not re-stocked for some time. The gym is hidden on one of the wings and was reasonably well equipped. The hotel is very nice, it is in a great location, the rooms are ok, food is good, the drawbacks are: staff customer service skills are haphazard and the noise from Victoria station (depending on where your room is).

Room Tip: Ensuring a good sized single room is a game of roulette. Service is average, not sure if any rooms...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear jbdiggerman,

Thank you for your detailed review of the Grosvenor.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay.

Our single rooms are indeed quite small at 16 to 20 m2 but the do offer great value for money. Our standard twin/double rooms are from 20 to 25m2 and our Executive rooms do offer a more spacious 30m2

Thank you also for the feedback regarding the water pressure and breakfast, I review all comments with my team and we will see what action we can take to improve these.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and please feel free to drop me an e-mail personally if I can assist with any future booking.

Amman, Jordan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed here in August as part of a Globus tour. The hotel was wonderful,centrally located, and the breakfast was superb. It is also very handy to the Victoria Railrail station, and a large food court. The west end shows are a 5 minute walk. We stayed at the Grovenor London for two nights, should have stayed longer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Chuck3S,

Thank you for the fantastic Tripadvisor review of the Grosvenor

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the visit to the UK

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next trip to London.

Michael Parker – General Manager

Been to The Grosvenor Hotel? Share your experiences!