“Convenient” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Grosvenor Hotel

You added The Grosvenor Hotel to your Saves list
The Grosvenor Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   101 Buckingham Palace Road, London SW1W 0SJ, England (Pimlico)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #153 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Convenient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Excellent location - adjacent to Victoria Station. Room is a bit small but this is London. Bathroom is spacious. Rooms are quite which is a plus point. It's a busy hotel but it's clean.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear CookieMon,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

I was pleased to read that you found the location of the Hotel to be excellent.

Our standard rooms are from 20 to 25m2 but our Executive rooms do offer a more spacious 30m2 or more, if you are visiting London again please feel free to drop me a note personally so we can arrange the best possible price for one of our larger rooms.

My personal e-mail address is michael.parker@guoman.com

Michael Parker – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Idaho Falls, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Quiet and comfortable rooms with a location that's very convenient to victoria station. The bathroom was a little cramped but the linens and room were in great shape.

Dear Ben21Horse,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

I was pleased to read that you had a good stay and that the location of the Hotel suited you needs.

Guernsey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Now re-furbished, but not a good start, as my booking [via an agent] was lost. I got a little irritated, but the pleasant reception staff dealt with it after a while and kindly upgraded me.
I was woken up one night at 12.30 by the telephone and the porter knocking, but it was a "fault in the system".
Room service not cheap, but excellent quality.
Nice small, but new gym on 7th Floor, but no towels or water cups at 9 in the morning, so I had to ring down.
Bar and breakfast were fine - but the girls pour the tea BEFORE the milk! [Sin].
Staff all very agreeable.
The room was very good and the tired air has gone completely.

Room Tip: No worry about being over the station now - good sound-proofing.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear SarnianGuernsey,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

I was pleased to read that you had a good stay.

I have asked my team to look at the frequency of the Gym stocks being refreshed, thank you for the feedback regarding this.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We really wanted to like this hotel stay, and the star in this review is for these reasons: the building is stunning, the proximity to Victoria Station is extremely convenient and the rooms were spacious for London standards. However, we had more problems than solutions on this trip, and I seriously doubt we will ever stay at any Guoman hotel because of this experience (and if this hotel is so poorly managed, would their other hotels be any better?!). Here's why:

1) Our pre-paid reservation included our Internet access charges, but the hotel was out of the BT Openzone vouchers when we arrived. No refund was offered or provided to us -- our only option was to take a 90-minute voucher and hope the hotel received more vouchers later that day (which they never did). When I checked out and asked about having the access charge credited back, the front desk person claimed that we were not charged for this service (my pre-paid receipt shows otherwise, so they have not heard the last from me on this issue!).

2) The electricity in our first room was on the fritz, and while my son was showering, the fuse for the whole room blew. The front desk sent up a serviceman quickly, and he indicated that the room's wiring had a short somewhere. He notified tha front desk that we should be moved, apologized to us for the inconvenience and left. We waited over 20 minutes for a guest relations manager to come provide us keys to the new room. Meanwhile, I had already notified the front desk that we were short on time as we were tying to get to a theatre show. When she finally did show up with the keys, we were left to move our own bags and now race to get ready. I asked at that point if the hotel could please arrange and pay for a cab service to the theatre to help us arrive on time. Despite the fact that I was asking this of a manager, she had no idea whether such an accommodation could be made. Although ultimately the hotel did pay us, it was a reimbursement AFTER we returned to the hotel (very bad form to make the guest pay first!).

Again, no other offers to discount or reimburse us for either inconvenience -- I had to make the request first. This hotel seems to be run like an inefficient bureaucracy rather than a customer-friendly hotel. We should have been reimbursed for the Internet since technically we paid for a service never provided and the hotel staff should have arranged to move our bags for us and upgraded our room at no expense or reimburse a portion of our room charges for the electrical problems. Any stateside hotel would have done at LEAST this much, and yet I found myself imploring the so-called guest relations manager to simply pay for a cab fare (which was less than £20!!).

Bottom line: had this hotel spent about £15 on cab fare and £10 to reimburse our Internet charge, I would have given this hotel 4 stars. But their inability to stay customer-focused in their problem-solving is simply inexcusable. Stay here only if you must, and only if you can ensure there will be no surprises during your stay as the staff are not prepared to handle anything out of the norm. Frankly, however, there are too many other hotels in the area -- stay elsewhere instead!!

Room Tip: Small lifts and only stairs in/out of Victoria Station from the hotel.
Dear Family C,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

I was most disappointed to read that your stay was not more enjoyable.

If you are visiting London again please do contact me personally as I am sure on a future stay we would be able to reassure you of our normally high standards.

My personal e-mail address is michael.parker@guoman.com

Horten
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

A lovely hotel with clean comfortable rooms. Friendly staff and a great breakfast

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear SlimBF,

Thank you for the great Tripadvisor review.

I have shared you kind comments with my team.

Essex, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Booked last minute deal which we were delighted to see included breakfast to celebrate a our wedding anniversary and my birthday trip to the theatre. Treated to a complimentary upgrade to an executive room which was much appreciated. We asked for some ice and received it almost immediately. Excellent service. The bed was lovely and comfortable and the toiletries very high quality. Thank you Grosvenor for a wonderful night's stay. Wished we could have stayed longer but no doubt given the chance, we shall be back!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Vanessa_Barker2004,

Thank you for the great Tripadvisor review.

I was pleased to read that your had a great Anniversary and Birthday trip.

Liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I loved the Grandeur of this place. The lobby is special, as good as any I have seen around the world. There is an enormous chandelier and you really go back in time. I can imagine the Americans loving this pace and the history of it.

That apart the rooms were nice although small which is typical for hotels in this city. They were nicely appointed though and you have to remember that you are in an old building so it is part of the charm.

The location is great being just outside Victoria station so if you are a tourist this is great. I was on business but I appreciated this place, the staff, and the class it had. Enjoy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear thedeadlysubmarine,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

I was pleased that your business visit was good.

Michael Parker – General Manager

Been to The Grosvenor Hotel? Share your experiences!