“Only the location. Staff ?? Terrible” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Royal National Hotel

You added Royal National Hotel to your Saves list
Royal National Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38-51 Bedford Way, London WC1H 0DG, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Ranked #764 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Singapore, Singapore
“Only the location. Staff ?? Terrible”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

stayed for 2 night cos we joined the continki tour. Scary experiences. Will not come back here again. Staff are rude. Wi fi only available at the lobby but not working dyrung my stays.so many rooms in this hotel. It is like what others TA had advised. This is a hostel. Than a hotel. Think the staff attitude need to be re-trained. Pls send them to training program. Thank u

• Stayed November 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed here in October with my 85 year old Mum. She had booked and had been told that the room would be facing the outer side (road side) of the building and that two beds would be provided. On arrival the foyer was absolutely full of people. Various tourist groups from several countries. So you had to wait your turn and in doing so I made sure my Mum could sit and wait for me with the luggage. Seats in the foyer are like hens teeth. The room was on the 6th floor and a good few minutes walk from the elevator. It faced the inside courtyard of the Hotel looking at other rooms. The room was tiny and when I went into the bathroom could not imagine my Mum stepping high into a bath to have a shower. I already had nightmares of her slipping etc.

After calling reception they agreed to change the room and this made our stay far more pleasant than it may have been. The room was a little more spacious and the shower was a walk in shower. Perfect. Coffee and tea facilities were also in the room.
Breakfast is in a huge dining area and on the last day there was a queue heading back into the foyer of people waiting to have brekky. Brekky was very slap dash and the staff very unfriendly. Everything was luke warm and the lines to get anything huge.

On the last morning we decided to go and have breakfast outside in a small restaurant just a hop step and a jump from the hotel. It was quite affordable and oh so delicious and hot.
The one good thing is that the Big Bus tours start right outside the hotel. This was ever so convenient and we loved riding the bus to see the tours. Well worth the time an price. For two days at 30 pounds you could jump on and off the bus at your leisure. You also get to meet some great people.

We actually were happy not to spend too much time in the hotel and we had dinner each night at restaurants outside of the hotel. These were in walking distance so that was perfect. Luckily we were so tired each night we slept well.

The room overall was clean and sufficient. Some of the staff at reception were pleasant but the staff at the concierge were very rude. Also one of the bar staff was extremely rude yet on an other night the guy was very pleasant.

This is certainly a hotel that sees hundreds of tourist groups that come and go each day. But again the location is pretty good to get around London if the traffic is not too bad.

Room Tip: If you don't want to feel closed in completely ask for a room that faces the street. At least y...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is the by far the biggest and busiest hotel I have ever stayed in. And I consider myself to be fairly well travelled.

Definitely not one for a romantic getaway or relaxing city break. The sheer volume of people at the hotel just makes a scene of complete chaos. Breakfast was like a school canteen though food was reasonable enough

Rooms were very average. A bit gloomy looking. Beds ok. Room could have been cleaner, (stray hairs in the bathroom). Room was nosy but expected in Central London.

It is cheap and has a good location close to Euston. It has everything close by, shops, restaurants etc hotel bar is also quote cheap (£2.80 for large wine)

Not sure if I would stay again. Felt too much like I was in a busy airport/train station

• Stayed November 2013
Main Beach, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights pre Contiki. The location is great but rooms are very basic for the price. They weren't particularly clean and beds were small and uncomfortable. Staff weren't particularly nice either. Free wifi and pay phones in the lobby are very convenient for international travellers and there is a small office out the front from which you can book tours to Stonehenge, Bath etc. I would probably stay in a hostel next time purely because $700 for 4 nights seemed way too much for what we got but in saying that I'm not sure if that's a reasonable price for a London hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Bradford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed there last week for four nights with my wife and daughter and oh what a mistake. The room was disgusting with unknown substances dried onto the dressing table. The bathroom was full of black mill-dew between the tiles. The air vent was hanging off and tiles wedged against the wall with toilet paper. One day no towels and another day no toilet paper. Speaking to reception was a total waste of time as no one could care less. We asked for a quiet room but after midnight there was plenty of noise around to wake you up. Breakfast was included but extra for my daughter and never hot. For such a large hotel you would not think the food could get cold as it was a pure bun fight. I tried the toast as it came straight out of the kitchen. Guess what, it was cold. Sadly we gave up after two days and had our breakfasts out after that. A perfect location for a base but I wouldnt board my dog in this hotel. A large hotel that wants some serious money spending on it. Do yourself a favour and dont risk it

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Delray Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

we spent 2 nights there, across from the main hotel. this place is huge, but the rooms were very nice, quiet, good service. breakfast was included, unless you wanted an English breakfast for 5 pounds. not worth it. this was centrally located. we walked from the London eye and many other sights back to the hotel. they also have about 5 restaurants on the premises.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Kelso, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My daughter and I stayed on a Superbreak at this hotel 25th October for 2 nights. Basic hotel but clean and ideal position for west end shows and Russell Square Tube Station. However I had read on the Royal National website/Superbreak that an offer valid from 6 Oct -5 Dec guests would receive a complimentary 3 course dinner on the 1st night of stay when staying 2 consecutive nights. However it would appear that this is only valid for BOOKINGS made during this time and as I had booked in August we did not qualify. No where on the website does it state this. I have been in touch with both Superbreak and the Royal National but to no avail. I must say that this actually spoiled our stay as we planned our day around this and arrived at the hotel just after 7 expecting to have a free meal when we were told we were not eligible for this offer so BE WARNED if you have been like us and booked early to ensure (a) good seat on the train (b) good seat in the theatre and (c) a hotel booking you will not receive a free dinner even although it looks like you will from the info on the website.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Royal National Hotel? Share your experiences!