“Prefer premier inns but this is ok” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Royal National Hotel

Save Saved
You added Royal National Hotel to your Saves list
Royal National Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38-51 Bedford Way, London WC1H 0DG, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Ranked #740 of 1,075 hotels in London
“Prefer premier inns but this is ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in triple room with 2 mates.the room was basic but had all amenities and good shower.There were 2 problems with the room which were excessive noice especially at night with people shouting at all hours.Also the room was too too hot and the window opened a couple of inches no air con!due to this i didnt sleep much whilst there!

The check in policy is shocking and at 2pm it took us an hour to get to the front of the queue which is unacceptable!Also the staff on reception and canteen didnt know what good cust service is with the way you get spoken too.plus brealfast is madness with staff telling u off for going near the cooked food even though id paid for it plus having to prove im a guest when arriving late to meet mates in there!!

• Stayed August 2013

4,124 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

I was a bit disapponted. I understand you get what you pay for but it still isn't dirt cheap but it had the air of a dirt cheap hotel. Rooms shabby and dated. Bathroom not cleaned propery. TV remote control not working. It was hot in July and no aircon. I knew this but the problem is that there were so many police/ambulance sirens throughout the night that we were continually woken up. Breakfast was very basic and English breakfast was £5 supplement. Next time I'll look for somewhere else. I'm sure there must be something better for the price.

• Stayed July 2013
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stay here 5 nights with my wife in my daughter and we were very pleased. The location is excellent (close to all major attractions), the room was clean and the service was great.
Because we booked on their site we got a free three course dinner at their restaurant and it was not bad at all.
British Museum is so close and there are plenty of parks around.
Definitely, I am very satisfied with my choice and all that effort put into choosing the hotel for our stay payed off.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on Bedford Way side
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
south tyneside england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We had stayed here in 2010 and needed a car park this time in London so I chose to stay here again for that reason and its quite central for covent garden.
It took a while to check in a 3ish
We done most of London by foot the weather was fantastic .
The room was on floor 4 it was a triple and it had a seperate toilet from the bathroom there were no hand towels just 3 large towels the window was open and we couldn't close it my son called someone but they never answered the phone .
We couldn't get the tv on either!
Buffet breakfast was fine you have to pay extra £5 for English breakfast if it isn't included in your stay .
The London pub which is in the hotel has very reasonable prices.
The car park is £17 for 24 hours.
The nearby Brunswick centre is a modern square type place to eat drink and shop

• Stayed July 2013
durham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I booked a trip to London through a travel agent and ended up with this hotel. The first thing I will say is that it is in a great location - very central. Also, the staff were okay especially in the breakfast area - I did witness people being really quite unpleasant to them and in my opinion, you get back what you give out. The breakfast itself wasn't as bad as made out by some people - it is advertised as continental and although I would have expected more variety it wasn't horrendous. I also realised that for the price I paid this hotel would be basic - that is fine, but this was dirty. The first day we arrived we found cockroaches in our extremely shabby room. I did go and ask to be moved and we were moved without any fuss. The receptionist never batted an eyelid - she knew what we were going to say. The room we were moved to was still basic but much cleaner and more up to date, but really the cockroaches spoilt it for us. The place was also extremely noisy, didn't bother us much but would be awful if you had young children. It wasn't a place I'd go to any more and I think they need to up their levels of cleanliness.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My daughter and I stayed in this hotel for two nights recently, booked as a package to see a theatre show. The first room we were given had a horrid smell, we couldnt locate where it was coming from as it hit you as soon as you walked in, we complained, and was given another room which didnt smell, But the rooms are very basic, dim, dowdy and in need of being updated, we were very disappointed, Premier Inn are much nicer and much cheaper. All I can say is that the breakfast was nice, and thats about all. Dont stay here, theres much nicer places for the same price or cheaper, beware. x

Room Tip: Dont think there are any
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dubai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Every other year I return to London and usually stay at the Royal National. This is the last time though. Each time, it is more and more expensive for a budget hotel (budget by London prices) and it never gets any better. There's still no wi-fi or USB internet connection in the rooms. There's only wi-fi in the reception area, which is constantly inundated with people because it is such a large hotel and, the internet is so bloody slow. I was in east africa recently and the wi-fi, in the places I stayed, was so much faster.
As for the rooms, cramped. And I dunno how old the mattress was but it felt like I was sleeping on a soggy old victoria sponge.

Room Tip: Look for another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to Royal National Hotel? Share your experiences!