“Good and not so expensive” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Royal National Hotel

You added Royal National Hotel to your Saves list
Royal National Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   38-51 Bedford Way, London WC1H 0DG, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Ranked #758 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Sydney, Australia
“Good and not so expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Location of this hotel is very good, underground station 3 min walking, and 1min walking from bus station - which is very big advantage. It is very easy to reach the Center. It is very simple hotel, no high society place, but excellent for the groups or people who spend all day out discovering London. Rooms simple, not so small, it was corectly cleaned.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This hotel was only a stop gap for us for one night but it was such a disappointment. On first impressions the hotel appeared to be quite nice however, the room we stayed in was very pokey and the bed was extremely uncomfortable. I would never recommend this hotel unless it was a last resort. I have had better nights at a £19 p/n Premier Inn.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

I usually stay with friends/family just outside of London but when I was expected to be on a coach by 5am I decided to get a hotel for the night before.

Room and service-wise, it's nothing special. I was in a room with another girl I didn't know but I decided to talk to her and we ended up getting supper. The two-bed rooms are quite cramped and god help you if you have multiple suitcases. We also couldn't figure out how to turn the lights off. They've got a TV with some pretty good channels which is nice.

The hotel is in a great location. I've taken buses, the tube, and walked to get there. It's really close to the British Museum and there's a lot of little restaurants. Covent Garden is very close by too.

There's a nice bar in the courtyard that is quite spacious and has tables outside as well. Most of the people staying here are quite young so expect noise. But given the price, I would have no issue staying here again if it was just for a short period of time.

• Stayed May 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

This Hotel was a massive dissapointment, when entering reception the hotel seemed nice and clean but by the time we got on to the 3rd floor where we were staying you could notice stains on the carpet. When we entered our rooms there was poo in the toilet and stains on the bathroom floor. Also the bedroom was absolutely boiling with uncontrolable heating from the radiator and even when the window was opened it was still boiling. We was staying for 2 nights and 3 days at this hotel in a college group of about 70 and about half of the group complained about being bitten, I was bitten a multiple of times including once on my eyelid which was very sore. On the first night I went to have a shower and it was very slippy and I ended up falling as there was no bath mat of hand rail, I would say this hotels bedrooms are in desperate need for refurbishment. Also whilst staying here me and my roomate both had money stolen which we can not account for. Lastly the breakfast was awful and is a big no no if you are staying here, overall this hotel was an unpleasent experience and I would not consider returning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Scarisbrick, Southport, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Massive hotel fairly close to Russell Square underground station has economy in its favour, we only paid £60 per night B&B which for London is very cheap.

We were told it was twin beds but when we asked, we were given a double bed which was appreciated.

Fairly basic room and bathroom was clean enough. Old style TV but it worked OK.

The room in the middle of January was roasting hot, even with the window open 24hours a day, outside temperature was -1.

Our room overlooked the courtyard which was fairly quiet and we had little road noise. The one thing that lost it an extra star was at around 6am, somebody decided to move tables and chairs around on a linoleum floor, when I say move, it was a screeching, dragging noise that we heard, this was a ridiculous time of the day to start to shift furniture, I can only assume it was a cleaning room or staff rest room somewhere, I went into the corridor to investigate but it must have been coming from the floor about.

Don't get me wrong, for the money, I would stay here again.

Don't expect gourmet breakfast, it is toast, bread rolls with butter and jam. Juice, tea, coffee and a choice of 3 cereals. A cooked breakfast is available for £5 extra. The dining room was reminiscent of a school dining hall being very noisy.

One bonus is that the tour buses stop right outside the door and the hotel is central enough for most people's needs.

Wifi is available by going to reception and picking up a slip of paper with the wifi details on it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard if you want less traffic noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

whilst staying here at the royal national hotel with my college group for two nights, 3 days i had high expectations as the hotel looked very good on the website. Arriving at the hotel the rooms were discusting! there was hair in the plug holes in the bathroom, the shower broke there was a peice of a sandwhich underneath the bed, and 2 of my friends had money missing from their bags. Not to mention several other group members becoming itchy and having rashes from the duvet covers, which also had holes in them. Running the bath for my self i was horrified to discover the bath water being dirty and green coloured, The toilet also blocked up! this was a terrible experience and i never want to return to this accommodation ever again as the staff members were unfriendly!!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Bury, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I have recently returned from staying at this hotel, the hotel is in an excellent location the center of everything. There are local shops, restaurants, cafe's and even the underground station. The hotel staff are very polite and welcoming, the cleaners are always smiling and happy towards the guests in the hotel.

The rooms are standard, what you would expect however the beds are perfect. Best nights sleep ever whilst staying in a hotel. The room was quite large, however this was a triple room we had a marble bathroom with a shower & bath, three single beds, a table & mirror, wardrobe and a standard set of drawers and TV.

We went in a group of 70 with college, the hotel clearly run their hotel strictly to ensure other customers get a good nights sleep as security kept checking the halls to ensure our large group was not disturbing other guests.

Advantages:

- Good location.
- Good facilities.
- Large hotel.
- 5 minute walk from shops etc.
- Good appliances.
- Very comfy beds.
- Pleasant staff.

Disadvantages:

- Shower did not work & no-one would come to fix it.
- Rooms a bit old and need repairing.
- Can NOT control heating in some rooms.
- Traffic is quite loud.
- Breakfast is a no no.

Overall i would say this hotel is quite a standard and well cleaned accommodation.
Worth the money which you pay and i would probably stay there again.

Room Tip: There is a re-furbished side of the hotel and a side which has not yet been re-furbished.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Royal National Hotel? Share your experiences!