“Wouldn't stay again. Avoid room 008!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Royale London Hyde Park

You added Grand Royale London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Grand Royale London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1-9 Inverness Terrace, Hyde Park, Bayswater, London W2 3JP, England (Notting Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
STAY 3 NIGHTS GET 12% OFF
Ranked #354 of 1,052 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Wouldn't stay again. Avoid room 008!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Royale for 3 nights in Feb. It IS in an excellent location, a few minutes from the District/Circle/Central lines, shops and restaurants. The public areas are very nice, old-English style. My room(s) were clean, and the bathrooms were modern. Unfortunately that's all I can recommend about it.

I was in London for job interviews, and booked a Deluxe Single, thinking "hey, I don't need a fancy room, just somewhere to sleep". Unfortunately, sleep was impossible!

My tiny (TINY) room was in the basement, and looked out onto an external stairwell that was filled with rubbish bins and bags of linen (check out the traveller photos, there are a few pictures of it from Julesbusiness). I didn't initially care about the "view", but was worried about security. As I said, the window is right next to the stairs and is of the old pull-up style, held closed only by a small latch. But, it was late, I'd been travelling for hours and was tired, so I decided to ignore it and go to sleep (wearing an extra jumper because there was a cold draft from the window).

Unfortunately, all night long, people were in and out of the stairwell, emptying bins and throwing down more bags, talking loudly and laughing. Every time I started to drift off, there would be another almighty crash of bottles or loud conversation. Didn't sleep a wink, even with earplugs. Around 4:00, in desperation, I put headphones on and tried to drown it out with music (to no avail). At some early hour, guys in hi-viz vests came to collect the bags or do something with them, I'm not sure. They yelled to one another for a while until I ripped the curtains open and gave them a look of murder. They then quietened, but there was still the noise of the bags being moved.

So, started my first day of interviews with zero sleep. Finished the last one at about 6pm, and went back to the hotel to demand a different room. They were obliging, and swapped me to another Single room on the third floor, which was even smaller (no more "Deluxe" for me, and no refund of the price difference). There was barely space for the single bed and a tiny table and wardrobe. The room was clean, but sweltering (poor aircon), the door lock was broken, and there was no network cable, which was a drag because I hadn't brought one. However, despite being next to the stairs and lifts, this room was relatively quiet, so I did manage to sleep for the next few nights. Hence the two stars instead of one.

I'm sure there are nicer rooms if you're willing to pay a bit more, but I certainly wouldn't stay here again on a budget!

Room Tip: Avoid the basement rooms, especially 007 and 008, which are incredibly noisy.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
AnkurSehgal, Front Office Manager at Grand Royale London Hyde Park, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Grand Royale London Hyde Park for your recent visit to London.

We consider the guest feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad. I sincerely and profusely apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.

It would be highly appreciated if you could contact me on fom@grandroyalelondon.co.uk as per your earliest convenience so we can talk discuss this further.

Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies & we look forward to welcoming you back at the Grand Royale London Hyde Park.

Thank you very much.

Ankur Sehgal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Lobby area is smart. Had to wait ten minutes at reception without even being acknowledged by a member of staff though. Eventually a very frosty receptionist checked me in but would not accept the payment that my fiancé had made on his card. Just as well I had another card on me. She didn't offer me any details about the hotel..where the bar was etc and nobody offered to help with luggage. When I entered the room there was a steep set of six stairs directly behind the door which I fell down because nobody bothered to warn me, and given all the marks that were on the walls I will assume that I am not the first to have injured themselves. The room itself was semi clean..a few cobwebs high up on the walls and ceiling where the maid couldn't reach obviously and I am pretty sure that the room must have been a broom cupboard at some stage because it was so small. When I made the booking I was led to believe I had a mini bar, room service and also an iron and ironing board...I had none of these things. There is no way this is a 4 star hotel!

Room Tip: The rooms are tiny. I booked a superior double as it was described as "spacious". Laughabl...

Thank you very much.

Wallsend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

this was our second stay at this hotel, it is now our hotel of choice in london. it is well situated for shops [oxford street and knightsbridge] just a few minutes walk away and next to hyde park. the hotel staff are all very helpful and the breakfast are excellant with plenty choice. rooms are very comfortable with all you need for your visit. already planning our next visit

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
AnkurSehgal, Front Office Manager at Grand Royale London Hyde Park, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Grand Royale London Hyde Park.

Our mission is to make your stay memorable in every way, and your comments will provide us with the information we need to maintain our high level of service.

We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Grand Royale London Hyde Park in the not too distant future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The Grand Royale is well presented and the staff are very friendly. It has a nice peaceful and relaxed atmosphere. The English breakfast is also great. If you like Chinese food there are many restaurants just around the corner :-D

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
AnkurSehgal, Front Office Manager at Grand Royale London Hyde Park, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Grand Royale London Hyde Park.

Lausanne, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Very enjoyable stay as per usual at the Grand Royale. Very kind staff and lovely room! Excellent breakfast and really great location 2mins walk from Queensway tube station.
Will definitely be return once again in the near future!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at the Grand Royale London Hyde Park.

I am writing to you personally to thank you for your stay with us. I am delighted to know that you had an enjoyable and comfortable time during your stay with us. We will surely take a note of your feedback which will help us to deliver excellent customer service.

We will look forward to welcome you back and do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Grand Royale last week.
I was a bit worried because I red some bad feedback about the size if the room.
Of course they are tiny, I mean we are in London come on! Anyway it was small but not THAT small.
The bed was comfy with a warm blacket.
When I first arrive the room was very cold, then I called the staff and they came in 2 minutes to fix it, after 10 minutes the temperature was fine.
The staff is friendly at the reception and the wireless in the lobby works pretty fine.
For the price I paid I think is ok, I mean always remember about LONDON!
You can easily walk (2 minutes walking) to QUEENSWAY tube station (CENTRAL LINE) and BAYSWATER (Circle and District line).
I think I would be back.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent booking with us here at the Grand Royale London Hyde Park.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at fom@grandroyalelondon.co.uk.

Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Good hotel in a great area, 1 min walk from Queensway tube.

Stayed here a couple of times and little niggles always seem to let the stay down. Once was a broken hot tap in the sink and last night was a noisy radiator which only wanted to be noisy while i slept and woke me up at 3:10am! Not great. There was a distinct smell of damp in the room too.

Having said that, the hotel is good value for location and the breakfast is excellent. I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at fom@grandroyalelondon.co.uk.

Ankur Sehgal

Been to Grand Royale London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!