“Central and reasonably priced hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Royale London Hyde Park

Save Saved
You added Grand Royale London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Grand Royale London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1-9 Inverness Terrace, Hyde Park, Bayswater, London W2 3JP, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #484 of 1,054 Hotels in London
Schaffhausen, Switzerland
“Central and reasonably priced hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We, couple of 58 & 60 from Switzerland, stayed three nights at the Grand Royale Hotel Hyde Park in Early December 2012 to do our Christmas Shopping.

The location of the hotel is ideal, as within less than 5 minutes two underground stations (Queensway and Bayswater) can be reached and there are plenty of busses running along Bayswater road making a trip to Notting Hill, Marble Arch and beyond very easy. Kensington Gardens is also no more than 100 m from the hotel.

The Hotel has definitively a lot of charm with a rather unusual lobby which reminded us more of a stately home than a hotel. Our room faced to the street, but there is hardly any traffic so you can get a good night's sleep. The room itself (we had a superior double) was really tiny. I did stay at other hotels with small rooms, but this seemed smaller than ever before. The room was however nicely furnished and the pictures shown on their homepage are identical to what you get, except that that the space is not so obvious. As there is no space to store your luggage your suitcase(s) take up valuable space and neither is there a sufficiently large wardrobe. Despite a comfortable bed, a modern TV, tea-maker and a modern bathroom, I rate the room as just ok, simply due to it's size.

The full English buffet breakfast offers everything you wish for and is included in you room rate. The service is friendly but depending on the time you choose to eat, there are not enough seats available and queuing for a free table is required, but I guess this just gives you the real English feeling.

It is fair to say that the hotel offers good value, considering it is Central London. Many other hotels would charge more. As we stayed for 3 nights, the hotel also offers a discount, again something not found too often in city hotels in Europe.

There is a bar in the hotel, but on the two occassions we entered it was completely empty and we chose to frequent a nearby pub, which there are plenty to choose from. The same is true for dinner meals. The area is very cosmopolitan and any fancy you may have is catered for.

To summarize: Hotel with an excellent location and good value for money (considering it's London), very small but modern room with facilities and with English breakfast included in room rate.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GouravGupta, Front Office Manager at Grand Royale London Hyde Park, responded to this review, January 2, 2013

Thank you for staying at Grand Royale London Hyde Park.

Our mission is to make your stay memorable in every way, and your comments will provide us with the information we need to maintain our high level of service.

We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Grand Royale London Hyde Park in the not too distant future.

Ankur Sehgal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cambs. UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

When you arrive at the hotel, you experience the highest standards of luxury and olde world charm, with dark wood and sumptuous leather. Contrast that with the surly and uninviting welcome from the reception staff who managed to check two consecutive parties into the same room, hence as we were unpacking another couple let themselves into our room. A mistake that could happen anywhere maybe, but surely an apology would be forthcoming, no.
The room itself was clean, and had most things that you would expect for its rating, with the exception of glasses and sufficient space to swing a cat. The furniture is all you would require but squeezed in.
The location is excellent, just a short walk from two underground stations and over the road from Hyde Park. Lots of restaurants nearby.
From reading other reviews we may have been lucky with the room we were allocated, but can only review as we found it and would return assuming the room rate was as reasonable as today.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GouravGupta, Front Office Manager at Grand Royale London Hyde Park, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent booking with us here at the Grand Royale London Hyde Park.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at fom@grandroyalelondon.co.uk.

London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Judging by similar recent reviews this place operates a scam whereby you book this hotel but in fact get redirected upon arrival to another. I fell for the nice description but was moved elsewhere into a (Deluxe) noisy basement cell with no window, no wireless, no mobile reception, no TV remote (no controls on TV) and the breakfast was rubbish. For the money I was ripped off, but more annoyingly got a bad nights sleep. The reason I overnighted in London was because I had a late work finish and early start so needed some rest. There were other couples being redirected elsewhere that night, the excuse was that due to painting the rooms were fume filled. Several of us asked to see our rooms - access was denied. In my opinion this was a lie. The management of this hotel is an utter disgrace - they deliberately operate an overbooking policy, take your cash and dump you somewhere inconvenient. Trading Standards should punish them. Don't stay with Shaftesbury unless you want to get Shafted!

Room Tip: Book Elsewhere
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
GouravGupta, Front Office Manager at Grand Royale London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Grand Royale London Hyde Park for your recent visit to London.

We consider the guest feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad. I sincerely and profusely apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.

It would be highly appreciated if you could contact me on fom@grandroyalelondon.co.uk as per your earliest convenience so we can talk discuss this further.

Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies & we look forward to welcoming you back at the Grand Royale London Hyde Park.

Kingsteignton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Booked via Laterooms.com on the basis of cost and location. Seeing the reviews on Laterooms, I decided on the 'Club' upgrade. On arrival there was fruit and wine in the room but the room was smaller than expected. Later that evening I checked the hotel website and concluded that we were not in a 'spacious Club room' and complained at the front desk. The receptionist seemed embarrassed and guaranteed to move us the following day. The move went seamlessly and we were put into a bigger, family room which was quite acceptable.

All in all the staff were very good, the room was clean and comfortable, the location in Bayswater with two tube stations just around the corner was very good and the breakfast was excellent. I considered it good value for money and would return - as long as the hotel could guarantee that the room I booked was the one I was allocated from the first night!

Room Tip: Check the size of room is what you paid for BEFORE unpacking....
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GouravGupta, Front Office Manager at Grand Royale London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 29, 2012

Newcastle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights on business. The website attracted me. It was however fairly misleading in my experience. The building is absolutely stunning, stained glass, wood panelling and many, many more original features on a gorgeous Georgian street, right next to Hyde Park. However, the welcome was cold to say the least. The receptionist did not even acknowledge me for about 5 minutes. Another person at the desk was busy too, dealing with complaints from other guests. The room I was given was described as deluxe and it was pleasantly decorated and the bathroom was spotless but there was no full length hanging anywhere (just a small cupboard with hanging for shirts/tops only) and no coat hooks. My room was in the basement with an external storage area directly outside (3 feet from the window) which was brightly lit day and night and people noisily loading and unloading from it day and night. The room was therefore not private and i had to have the curtains closed permanently and i had a terrible night's sleep. As a woman travelling on my own i did not feel particularly safe either with people right outside my window all the time. The hotel is supposed to have a restaurant but when i enquired about it i was told there was no food available (whether in a restaurant or via room service) ither than breakfast. Instead i was directed to Bayswater road where there are shops and restaurants, but again as a woman travelling alone, i did not particularly want to go wandering around London on my own at night. Breakfast was adequate, but the staff were miserable and obviously do not want to be there. A real shame - the place has such potential but the poor facilities and dreadful atmosphere created by the miserable staff really let the place down. I would never stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the basement.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

BAku
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

it seems that this hotel is being managed by the group of irresponsible people. As I booked the room and recieved the confirmation then it turned out that on my arrival they do not have room at all. thus i was forced to be transfered in another hotel which is located next to the Heathrow. I was in shock as there were a lot of business meeting had been appointed from my side. the people at the desk was rough and did not even listen to me. Anyway my short trip was spoiled completely. so now it is up to you to book place in this so called hotel or not.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
GouravGupta, Front Office Manager at Grand Royale London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 27, 2012

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Have just returned from a weekend stay in this hotel, and had a very enjoyable time.

The exterior of the hotel is lovely, and this extends to a very impressive reception and lobby area. Our room was well presented, nicely furnished and very clean. Yes the room was on the smaller side, but it was certainly more than spacious enough enough for our needs, as was the bathroom. I had booked a deluxe room and had initially been detered by reading some negative reviews regarding them, but tempted by the price of 40pppn for the weekend including breakfast I took a chance and was pleasantly suprised.

The breakfast in the hotel was of the highest order, from a vast array of cooked items to a delicious continental spread.

The hotel is also in a superb location, with 2 tube stations Queensway and Bayswater a couple of minutes walk, and the bustling high street of Bayswater with its myriad of eateries and shops also within a 2 minute walk. Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens are right on the doorstep.

Overall I was delighted with my stay, and wouldn't hesitate booking at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the very top floor, right at the back and offered a great nights sleep.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GouravGupta, Front Office Manager at Grand Royale London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 26, 2012

Ankur Sehgal

Been to Grand Royale London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!