“Impressive public areas, less impressive bedroom” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Royale London Hyde Park

Save Saved
You added Grand Royale London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Grand Royale London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1-9 Inverness Terrace, Hyde Park, Bayswater, London W2 3JP, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #487 of 1,062 Hotels in London
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Impressive public areas, less impressive bedroom”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I got moved here after initially booking with Shaftesbury Premier Paddington who said that they had 'maintenance issues' so couldn't accommodate me.

It is a very impressive entrance from the exterior and in the lobby/reception area it is spectacular. I'm sure that many overseas visitors will be delighted with this area as it simply exudes old world English charm. However, from here, things can go downhill.

In common with a number of reviews on Tripadvisor, whilst I was checking in, an irate couple were complaining about their alleged 'double room' that was merely the size of single with a double bed placed in it and they couldn't even walk around the bed. They were booked in for a fortnight apparently.

Anyway, only one night for a business trip for me. I was given the key to room 007 in the basement and as soon as I reached the bottom of the stairs, the smell of dampness was very strong. Entered my room and it was a story of contrasts. A very nice and clearly recently modernised bathroom and a tastefully decorated and laid out bedroom, but other things let it down such as architrave that hadn't been cleaned properly and my delightful view of London from my one window that were bags of rubbish and used linen.

The stacks of bags outside my window were cleared away the next morning......and I certainly knew about it as the activity was taking place right outside my window (i.e. about 6 foot from where I was sleeping) between 6.30 and 7.00 in the morning. The activity then didn't stop as there was an external door to the right of my window that clearly led to something or other that staff were often walking in and out of.

One of the more unusual features of this room was the safe. It was housed in the top of the wardrobe, but it was lightweight and not secured down in any way, so I could simply lift it out of the wardrobe and carry it anywhere.

Breakfast was fantastic though. A great selection, well stocked, good quality and all served in a lovely dining room.

I really don't know what to make of this place. The public areas are very impressive, my room was a bit of mixed bag and some other people are downright unhappy with their rooms. I just wanted a bed for the night on a business trip so the negatives were no big deal to me, however I would have taken a different view if I was visiting for leisure and especially if I had to have that room for a few days or longer.

Would I return? Very unlikely. Some very important aspects of the bedrooms really let down what could otherwise be quite a special and quaintly English experience for visitors.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
GouravGupta, Front Office Manager at Grand Royale London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent booking with us here at the Grand Royale London Hyde Park.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at fom@grandroyalelondon.co.uk.

Ankur Sehgal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Grellingen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Reception and public areas are great. The room was tiny but good standard and clean. The bathroom was very narrow.
Staff was very friendly, polite and helpful.. Breakfast was excelent.
The location is in an ideal distance of the tube stations.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GouravGupta, Front Office Manager at Grand Royale London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 8, 2012

Thank you for staying with us at the Grand Royale London Hyde Park.

I am writing to you personally to thank you for your stay with us. I am delighted to know that you had an enjoyable and comfortable time during your stay with us. We will surely take a note of your feedback which will help us to deliver excellent customer service.

We will look forward to welcome you back and do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Stoke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My girlfriend organised this stay as a surprise for my birthday, and we had a lovely stay. The hotel reception and lounge are exactly like the pictures on the website and are beautiful. Like one of the other reviewers, we arrived early (13:00), only to be told that check-in wasn't till 14:00, so, like them, we left our bags at the hotel and walked over to Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park for a look around. As the Winter Wonderland was on, we didn't actually return to the hotel until after 17:00 where we were given our room key and our bags were delivered to our room. Whilst there WERE a few scuff marks on the walls, the room itself was very pleasant. Our window didn't have a view (unless you're a massive fan of whitewashed walls) but at least this meant the room was very quiet, and the only other thing that detracted from it was the very small shower screen, which meant having to be very careful about one's positioning whilst showering. Unlike the other reviewer we didn't have to use all the towels mopping up the bathroom.
The location of the hotel is ideal, and whilst Inverness Terrace is very quiet, Bayswater is literally two minutes walk away (come out of the hotel, turn left and then next left and lo and behold, shops and restaurants aplenty!). Bayswater and Queensway tube are both practically on the doorstep, which is perfect if your bag doesn't have wheels!
Overall, we were delighted with our stay at the Grand Royale. The satff were very helpful, the food was great and the hotel itself is ideally placed for getting around London.
One tip I WOULD offer is that if one of you has to leave the room whist the other remains inside (OK I admit, I had to keep going outside for a cigarette!) you can take the room key and leave any similar sized card in the lightswitch to keep the lights on!
We left some items by accident and when I contacted the hotel the following day, they had recovered them and forwarded them to us at no cost to ourselves.So extra kudos to them!
I would definitely recommend this hotel, and we will certainly be going back again.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor at the rear of the hotel, and whilst we didn't have a view, the room...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Hotel in reality was consistent with website. Reception and public areas of hotel have great character and bedrooms while of a "London size" were of a good standard. Staff were both very pleasant and helpful. Definitely good value for money and would stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
GouravGupta, Front Office Manager at Grand Royale London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 7, 2012

Great Malvern, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I use Shaftesbury Hotels frequently for both business & leisure. The location is ideal for me as there are two tube stations within 2 minutes walk and several bus routes 1 min walk away.
Queensway / Bayswater is a thriving community with lots of shops,restaurants and bars.
The reception area of the hotel is impressive and staff welcoming. Rooms are a little on the small size which is not unusual for Central London but they are clean and have everything you require for your stay.If you book on the Shaftesbury Hotels website your stay also includes a full breakfast which can save you a considerable amount compared to what other London hotels charge as an extra!
Having stayed in most of the Shaftesbury hotels I have recommended this hotel and others to friends and business colleagues and they have also commented on the value for money they enjoyed with this hotel chain.
Reading some of the other reviews I think that many people expect 5 star service for little money and perhaps for their next visit to London they should look at Park Lane hotels!!
Without doubt for overall standards and value for money you will have to look a long way to better
Shaftesbury Hotels. James

Room Tip: If your not happy with the room you are allocated don't complain later. Mention it straight away...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My stay at the Grand Royale Hyde Park was perhaps the most absurdly, ludicrously mediocre hotel experience I have ever had.

My wife and I arrived at the hotel at approximately 12:30 on the day of our reservation. The hotel foyer really is very beautiful, with deep carved wood and luxurious furnishings. So far, so good.

We had to wait in line behind two other guests who were complaining about the quality of their rooms – an experience that was duplicated virtually every time we passed through the lobby. We were told that we could not check in until 2:00, but they stored our bags for us and we headed out to get lunch. We returned at around 3:30, got our key, and headed upstairs to our “Deluxe Double” room 311.

The first thing we noticed, upon arrival to our room, was that the way was blocked by a rather flustered housekeeper. Even though we arrived 1.5 hours after check-in, the room had not yet been fully cleaned. And from the looks of the room once we got inside, the poor housekeeper wasn’t actually done cleaning it, either!

The room itself was quite small, but that is no surprise in an older, cheaper, hotel. Yes, there are maybe 5 inches of space between the sides of the bed and the wall, but you can always just hop straight onto the bed – really, who doesn’t need the exercise? We expected that.

What we didn’t expect was for a hotel employee to ***walk right into our room***, taking several steps in before he realized that we were there, and that we were staring at him. He seemed startled and confused, asking us several times if reception had really put us in this room, room 311, as if it were not a room in which guests were supposed to be placed, before apologizing and taking his leave, leaving us to feel relieved that we were both, more or less, fully clothed. (It was at this point that we discovered that there was no lock, deadbolt, or chain on the door. One did need a keycard in order to get in, but that clearly was not an insurmountable obstacle in these parts!)

We also didn’t expect the walls to be quite so badly-scuffed, the bathtub and duvet to both come equipped with other people’s hair, or the carpet to be so dirty that my wife refused to remove her shoes. The room was sparsely decorated, and looked little like the deluxe double represented on their website. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t unlivable by any means, but it was the sort of experience one expects from a Motel 6, not from an allegedly 4-star hotel. “Luxurious” was not exactly the term that sprang to mind.

At this point, my wife and I were wary and disappointed. It was only when we decided to take showers that our experience veered sharply into the realm of the absurd. You see, our shower possessed neither curtain nor door. This can of course be fine in a large enough bath, with a shower nozzle focused enough, and a tub wide enough, to prevent excessive spray. This was not a focused shower nozzle. This was not a wide tub. As soon as the faucet was switched on, water began to splash out onto the floor. The imposition of a body in the water’s stream only made matters worse. Standing perfectly still under the water, carefully trying to shield the spray with your body, meant giving the bathroom a nice light sprinkling; actually moving about freely under the water unleashed a flood. By the time we had each taken a shower, we had to use all of the towels we were given to sop up the water that had spilled out.

A note on the towels: they are not the worst I have ever used. I once fell into a lake whilst on a hike, and was forced to dry myself by rubbing quickly against the bark of an exceptionally gnarled and knotted oak tree. That experience was very slightly more unpleasant than this one, as the towels in this hotel do stop just short of actually drawing blood. (When I went downstairs to request additional towels, explaining that the lack of a shower curtain had led to some flooding in our bathroom, the front desk staff seemed to nod knowingly, as if it was to be expected, as if that sort of thing was common for guests staying in that room, but didn’t go so far as to actually apologize for the stupefyingly absurd setup.)

The truth is: the hotel lobby is really stunningly beautiful, but that is the only thing luxurious or 4-star about this hotel. The rooms are tiny, dirty, and poorly-designed, while the staff, though not actively rude or hostile when they aren’t barging unannounced into your room, are not particularly helpful either. The experience fell far, far short of our expectations. It’s not a 4-star luxury hotel. It is a 2-star hotel with a really nice lobby and really bad housekeeping.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Grand Royale London Hyde Park for your recent visit to London.

We consider the guest feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad. I sincerely and profusely apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.

It would be highly appreciated if you could contact me on fom@grandroyalelondon.co.uk as per your earliest convenience so we can talk discuss this further.

Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies & we look forward to welcoming you back at the Grand Royale London Hyde Park.

Thank you very much.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

good location 2min walk from Bayswater, rooms were clean, I'm afraid that's the only good thing I can say.Night 1,Nov 28th, our room on the ground floor, had no heating, a huge draft blowing in the window, someone had tried to fix with selotape, unsuccessfully, was so cold couldn't sleep very well under our thin duvet.Night 2, asked for heating/window to be fixed, or new room, were given a sheet/blanket which helped somewhat but was still a draft blowing on us, on a very cold night of freezing temps.Morning 3, asked again for new room, was told it would be sorted by the time we came back later that evening.Night 3, was assured it had been fixed, but it wasn't, then told it was too late to get another room,so we were transferred to a sister hotel in Notting Hill, and had to come back the following morning to leave our bags.Night 4, given a nicer room, with heating/no drafty windows, and a bottle of wine/chocolates to apologise, which was a nice touch.Morning 5, woke and electricity gone, tried to shower in dark bathroom but no hot water,no phone,no internet,no hairdryer,no iron.while going down the stairs instead of the lift, came across a breakfast room, full of breakfast, noone had told us about. Checked out amidst many unhappy people with wet hair! Everytime we were at reception there were lots of other people complaining. I feel sorry for the people who work there, it could be a great hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much.

Ankur Sehgal

Been to Grand Royale London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!