“Budget hotel in great location … (good if you get discounted rate)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Royale London Hyde Park

Expedia.com Booking.com
Grand Royale London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1-9 Inverness Terrace, Hyde Park, Bayswater, London W2 3JP, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #523 of 1,071 hotels in London
Saudi Arabia
“Budget hotel in great location … (good if you get discounted rate)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Budget hotel in great location … (good if you get discounted rate)
I spent 10 nights and Grand royal London hotel from 7th to 17th Nov. 2012, deluxe double room.
First of all I read many complain about this hotel in the Internet and I would like to give this note to any one want to make reservation at this hotel the note is ( be aware about FLEXI rate in the hotel web site) this rate could transfer the guest to any other Shaftesbury hotel in London. (I am not sure about the hotel over booking policy but I wanted to note this)
Check-in and checkout: I made the reservation direct through hotel web site, everything was smooth and fast during in and out.
Location: the hotel located in perfect location close to almost everything (Queensway station “central line” 150m, Bayswater stations “circle line & district line’ 200m) many mini market, restaurant, fast food, pubs and bars around the corner (not more than 500m away) also the Hyde Park is steps away from this hotel.
In general: the hotel is ok I got the room with discounted rate so it was fair for me, the hotel stile is classic in the lobby and modern in the room.
The room: my deluxe room size was ok and better than what I expect (I reserved Deluxe but I believe they give me upgrade to Club deluxe nobody notes me about that), but the bathroom was so tiny and smaller than London standers and smallest bathroom I have seen ever and the bidet adjacent to the wall (I complain about that but they told me you got one of the best room)!!, another thing the safe in the closet is NOT tight I mean you can carry it to any where in the room !!(I couldn’t understand this). The bed was queen size and the mattress was hard for me but still ok, two type of billows hard and soft on the bed. There something I like (there was kettle with tea, coffee and hot chocolate selection in the room.
Cleanliness: the room and bathroom was clean and turnover service was good.
Breakfast: the breakfast great compare to same hotel in London there was good selection of pastry, eggs, hot dogs, bacon, mushrooms and grilled tomato. (as Muslim person I couldn't eat any meat there because all what they have is Pork)
Staff: Helpful and from different nationality so they did not speak perfect English. I asked tow of them about some sight in London but they don’t have any information.
Overall: what I paid is reasonable for what I got but I think there are small things the management should be care about to make our stay better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
GouravGupta, Front Office Manager at Grand Royale London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent booking with us here at the Grand Royale London Hyde Park.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at fom@grandroyalelondon.co.uk.

1,883 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Me and my girlfriend decided to go see London for our anniversary and all was going well, prices were high as we expected however the word I would use to rate this hotel would be 'rip off', not only was it nothing as the pictures seem but the staff are just as unhelpful.

All seems well when you are welcomed but it all ends there as the polite and rather helpful bus boy shows you to your room, nice guy in all fairness, but the room itself is an absolute joke. Shoe box doesn't begin to describe the sizes of all the rooms. I asked for a deluxe room as it was stated it was slightly bigger than the other rooms, complete and utter crap! Unless you literally spend 300/400 a night for the largest room they offer the room are pathetic to say the least, as some of the pictures others have posted. I literally was about to hit the roof after seeing the decimal they called our room. I went straight downstairs to the desk with our bags and asked them exactly what type of room they placed us in, after checking on the computer it turns out it was the type of room I asked for, the one they refer to as the deluxe room is a ridiculous size to say the least. I asked if there is anything they could do to move us around to something with even a little more space, politely they moved us to a club room which was the other type of normal room they offer. After seeing the room I had had given up on this hotel, I accepted that I had booked one of, if not the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

The room itself was rather nicely designed but the only reason I accepted it was due to the slight extension to the room toward the back of the hotel so if you don't want a small room with a view of across the street you have to settle with looking at the disgusting car park that lay behind. The only thing stopping me from giving this place a 1 out of 5 is the fact the way the room looked, simple and clean cut. That were the complements ended, I cant stress enough how pointless the bathrooms are as you are non stop close to cracking your head open on the sink when stand up from the toilet. After a bath or shower you'll be lucky to stand up straight without knocking your elbow or knee off of the toilet or sink. The bed is way too rock solid for any type of sleeper but I suppose the hotel would explain this as the beds needing to last a long time.

Avoid this hotel at all cost, do not be fooled into any offer they may even have. It literally almost ruined my visit hadn't it been for my mrs keeping my mood up when we where out and about.

It would have been a lot worse had the hotel not given me my money back after charging me twice for the stay....horrible experience trying to chase them up for a mistake THEY made!

The staff themselves are dreadful, it was so hard to explain anything to some of the staff as their english wasn't the best and they didn't seem to want to help you in anyway other than when it came to check out and pay......honestly the only person in that building who was remotely helpful was the young lad who carried out bags to the room who was probably only working there part time.

Final words.....Do Not Stay Here!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Grand Royale London Hyde Park for your recent visit to London.

We consider the guest feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad. I sincerely and profusely apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.

It would be highly appreciated if you could contact me on fom@grandroyalelondon.co.uk as per your earliest convenience so we can talk discuss this further.

Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies & we look forward to welcoming you back at the Grand Royale London Hyde Park.

Thank you very much.

San Antonio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Fortunately all was fine with our booking on arrival, but I have to say I saw many very unhappy folk a the reception on Friday and Saturday being "referred" to other hotels because this one was badly overbooked. Many were being sent many miles away.
Good breakfast,
Free internet often down

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GouravGupta, Front Office Manager at Grand Royale London Hyde Park, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear Guest,

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for
you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This hotel takes your booking (and your money) but when you arrive you are informed that there is a 'problem with the heating' and that you will be moved to their sister hotel in HEATHROW. You end up paying central london rates for a shabby hotel miles away in Heathrow!!

This hotel has an over booking policy to fill up other worse hotels that are part of the same chain - you end up paying a premium for a poor quality hotel which you would never have booked.

I read reviews on here warning of this over booking policy but I loved the look of the hotel and thought that if I arrived 2hrs before booking everything would be fine. I arrived 2hrs early but was told I'd have to go to heathrow, another couple arrived after me to check in and were checked in fine. I stood my ground and argued with the manager but I was still not checked in. There was no way I was paying a central london rate to stay miles away so i left and found alternative accomodation elsewhere.

BE WARNED AND DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL - THE STAFF ARE ALSO VERY RUDE!!!

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel - its a scam!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Thank you very much.

Winscombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I have stayed here a number of times, the entrance, bar, lounge and breakfast room are excellent, very classy with original features.

The rooms are quite small, but are well appointed, most windows dont open, but the area is quiet

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at the Grand Royale London Hyde Park.

I am writing to you personally to thank you for your stay with us. I am delighted to know that you had an enjoyable and comfortable time during your stay with us. We will surely take a note of your feedback which will help us to deliver excellent customer service.

We will look forward to welcome you back and do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This hotel is well placed for access to Oxford and Regent Sts, Hyde Park and other areas. However the 4 stars it is awarded on various websites is a long stretch. The room needs painting, wallpaper is tired. The bathroom in our room is far too small for any average sized person. The toilet sits against the wall, and you basically have to sit sideways. The shower is roughly 2 foot square, and you cannot keep the shower curtain closed. In fact, I am surprised if it actually conforms to building code.
In fairness to the hotel, staff are friendly, and when approached will move us to another room in the morning. We will wait and see...

Room Tip: If you decide to choose this hotel, make sure you ask staff to view the room first!

Lagos, Portugal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Staff is trying to stay calm despite the horror situations in a 4* Hotel! But in London everything is possible,tiny rooms,not adequate for couple sharing,dont stay on floor 7 or 8! elevators slow,breakfast buffet basic but ok served by helpful people! When asked for Manager was given business card to contact by mail! Great Hospitality but thats London, summing up: a rip-off!

Room Tip: always confirm room size in your confirmation!
Dear Guest,

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at fom@grandroyalelondon.co.uk.

Ankur Sehgal

Been to Grand Royale London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!