“Nice enjoyable meal, nothing special” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Desperados

Desperados
33-35 Greenwich Church, London SE10 9JB, England (Greenwich)
+44 0208 853 4880
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Desperados is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8,701 of 17,039 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Greenwich
Sydney, Australia
“Nice enjoyable meal, nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Had dinner, ordered the beef enchiladas and a sol beer. Good was served quite promptly. The beef was sizzling as expected. The salsa could have been a little finer. Sour cream, guacamole was good but cheese didn't seem all that fresh. All in all an adequate meal, nothing special.

London, England, United Kingdom
“Large portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We all enjoyed our meals here which were plentiful and very filling. The chicken enchiladas were tasty but I couldn't eat all of it, perhaps because we had shared Nachos Grande to start. It was not a cheap meal at around £70 for four of us for shared starter and main, and one of them was a children's meal.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ilford, United Kingdom
“Very reasonable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

The food was pretty good, the place looks a little grubby but while the food was fairly simple it was very tasty. I gave 4 stars if you include the groupon voucher I used as the value was very good. The staff were a bit blunt sometimes which might seem a little rude but I think its just because English wasn't their first language so overall I would recommend :)

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Artificial, processed & vile. You'd need to be a desperado.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

My husband and I visited Desperados for a late lunch after wandering around Greenwich trying to find somewhere with a decent selection of vegetarian food.
From the outside it looks like a cheap takeaway but we looked at the menus gracing the outside of the building and figured we might aswel give it a bash - some of the best food we have had has been from places that don't exactly look pretty from the outside!
It was dead inside, we were the only people in the place...we joked about it but again shrugged it off.
We ordered drinks after having to call the waitress over who was staring out the window instead of serving. The drinks were not available so ordered bottled beer instead of the draught we wanted.
Food (or so called food):
Nachos- these were utterly vile. Tortilla chips that were flavoured with some kind of seasoning, obviously straight from a packet. The cheese was almost sweet and wouldn't surprise me if it was from a can or peeled from an individual wrapper. Sour cream that had no hint of being fresh and guacamole that was so smooth, it could have been squeezed from a bottle with ease. Topped with a few tiny pieces of chopped tomato & cucumber. Interesting.
Vegetable enchilada: Rank. Not much more to say really. The same processed cheese, the same long life, vile sour cream. This dish had the addition of some beans that looked far from appetising and tasted, well, of nothing. The whole dish was so grim, I ate two bites and refused to let any more pass my lips.
The waitress asked if my food was ok as she lifted my full plate, to which I answered no. She said "Aaaw" and took the plate away...then brought the bill. No conversation about why I didn't eat the food.
I refused to pay for my enchilada, and after 3 attempts from what I assumed was the owner, to take less than the cost of my £9.95 dish off the menu claiming I had eaten half the food, he finally agreed to take the dish off of my bill.

I spent the rest of the day gobsmacked about how artificial the food was. What happened to simple, crisp, fresh & vibrant ingredients?!
It's safe to say I won't be returning. Especially when I can make these dishes far better myself for a fraction of the cost.
The only plus point of Desperados...the beer was cold.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Dhekelia, Cyprus
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Food was good and staff were friendly and accommodating ( we arrived without booking looking for a table to seat 6 adults, a toddler and 3 prams!) A nice atmosphere. Popular place to eat.

Visited July 2014