“Unpleasant Experience!” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
London
“Unpleasant Experience!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We had starters of charred broccoli with cheese and soft-boiled egg and my companion had duck ham and accompaniments - the highlight was the broccoli starter: from there on it was downhill! Like another reviewer said the duck was totally `'underwhelming' - also, a tiny tiny portion. Mains were sole for moi with a garlic 'galette' and samphire: well, I should have rather gone to a fish and chips take-away at a third of the price - the fish was breadcrumbed and dry and not at all subtle; and then even more of the breadcrumbs surrounded the 'galette' - I always think of a galette as a dainty pastry slice; also no contrast, it was filling but not in a good way! And like another reviewer said about the partridge, which my companion had, it was the whole bird, tough to boot, and the only way to eat it would have been 'to have gone all caveman on it'!

We ordered a bottle of Spanish white wine and there was no facility for keeping it cold so our waitress kept it in a fridge at the back of the little restaurant (it is very crowded, one on top of another) - the problem with us being separated from our wine is every, but every, time we needed service we had to literally shout, wave, gesticulate for our waitress. The service throughout the evening was appalling!

I do not recommend this restaurant, maybe it appeals to people who take pleasure in eating tasteless food. We definitely would never go here again and were sad at the waste of £60 plus for the evening.

Visited October 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Good local place but I wouldn't travel here”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Bit hit and miss this place, but not so miss that I won't give it a second chance. Service was friendly but slack. I had to ask for everything from ordering food to bill, so not very attentive despite the restaurant not being that busy. Some of the food was sublime and some of it was poor. We had a rosemary chocolate desert that was out of this world, but I also had a partridge that was served whole one the bone that would be near impossible to eat without getting all cave man on it.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Season S, Owner at Season Kitchen and Dining Room, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Mike,

Thanks for taking the time to review your visit to season.

I was pleased to hear you enjoyed aspects of your meal but of course disappointed that other aspects weren't up to scratch.

I'm sorry the service you received was less than good, it really isn't like us and I will chat with the team to ensure they're focused at all times. I understand your point about the partridge dish, I appreciate it's rustic, we hope it's more Henry VIII than caveman though!

I value that you've stated that you would return again and would like to offer my email address eat@seasonkitchen.co.uk and when you do return please let me know, I can ensure everything is ship shape and also arrange for you and your guests to have something to wet your whistles on arrival.

We do hope to see you again soon.

Best,

Neil
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Celebrating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Wow Best steak I have had in a long time. We were celebrating our son's wedding and there were about 18 of us. The choices for each course were minimal but then you are not spoilt for choice... Easy peasy....

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Well that was MUCH cheaper than I expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

What a gorgeous restaurant. The house wine was gorgeous. I went with a friend, after a trip to Park Theatre (Wells Terrace). The food was sublime. The staff were friendly and everything was hot and fresh. Was expecting to pay far more than I did. Cannot wait to go again. (We ordered a side of chips as we saw them on another table and they look yum. They were, but the food that we ate filled us up nicely). I think it has become my after theatre treat. Looking forward to the seasonal changes.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Unexpected delight”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Came across the Season kitchen by chance after an evening at the Park Theatre (opp Finsbury Park Station and jolly fine too). Stumbling round looking for something that was not a kebabery and found this. Lots of Farrow and Ball and a pleasantly dim lighting in a moderate sized room. In my younger days I may have been a bit put off and think it too up itself, but no, it was lovely. Very friendly charming staff, all knew about their products, impressive small well curated menu, local sourcing, veggies from a roof garden. Tap water offered without asking in very lovely retro carafe. I had mackerel with poached plums, which was delish, friend had patridge - with pears, how witty is that- also very good, other friend had miso fried aubergine, but reported that not enough miso.( I don't like miso, you can't have not enough miso for me, but if you do...). Wanted the venison in chocolate gravy with tea soaked prunes, but too late! Excellent looking puds, but couldn't stay, late for train. Good value prices (mains between £10 and 20) and very pleasant experience. Will certainly go again. Hope others will enjoy it.

• Visited October 2013