“Free...definitely worth visiting!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: If you're searching for something different why not take off to Colindale and navigate your way through the history of aviation from the earliest balloon flight to the latest Eurofighter? This world-class collection of over 100 aircraft, aviation and wartime memorabilia offers a fun day out for all the family. Don't forget to visit our awe inspiring sound and light show that takes you back in time to the Battle of Britain. Better yet admission to the museum is free of charge. The Museum is open daily from 10am to 6pm.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
London, United Kingdom
250 attraction reviews
“Free...definitely worth visiting!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

This is a great place with small children. It is awesome with aeroplanes hanging from ceilings and close enough to touch. It is great for an afternoon outing..

Visited November 2013

• Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“All the history of airplanes here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

There is really nothing to dislike about this place.The abundant aviation hardware from the early 20th century is incredible all well looked after and maintained and this is just some of it. The exhibits are in great condition , well explained and you need to spend a few days there to get it all in!

Visited December 2013
UK
“Terrific - ran out of time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Thought three hours would be enough for my four year old and two year old. Was wrong - but happy to go back in the future.

The interactive zone was really good, could've spent a lot more time in that section. Reasonable value food in Echo Alpha Tango, although maybe the cakes were a bit pricey.

Also lovely and queit - hope everyone enjoyed the day Xmas shopping !

Visited December 2013
NYC northern suburbs, NY
13 attraction reviews
“Interesting even for non-aviation buffs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Since we have visited London twice previously, I was looking for some different things to see on our most recent visit. My husband enjoys watching the Military Channel (in the US) and their programs on WWII, so I planned a visit to the RAF Museum. Even though I am not much for military history, I was quite impressed. The collection of aircraft on display is really wonderful, extending across five buildings. When we visited mid-week at the end of November, it was quiet and almost empty. There is so much to see here - we spent several hours, but you could easily spend much more time than that. We really recommend this museum - it was one of the highlights of our trip.

Side note- if you are a tourist with a Zone 1-2 travelcard, you will need to pay a supplement as I believe Colindale is Zone 4. Oops, but the attendant at the tube station was in holiday spirits and he let us through both coming and going. Thank you! Also, the museum is about a 10+ minute walk from the tube station.

Visited November 2013
Essex UK
7 attraction reviews
“Great day out for adults and children”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I have regularly visited IWM Duxford since a child, but this year we decided to give the RAF Museum at Hendon a try. What a brilliant day (or should I say two)!!!!! I dont know why I havent visited it sooner. We decided to take our two year old nephew along with us.
The museum is broken down into separate exhibition areas. The first exhibition area you come to is full of aircraft from different eras, from the very first plane through to the F-35. There are lots of interactive screens where you can view videos of the planes or find out more info. The next hanger is full of bomber aircraft. Theres a small section dedicated to the Dambusters inside. I was amazed to see so many aircraft inside (Vulcan, Tornados, Lancaster, Spitfires, F4, B25 etc). There is a small restaurant and gift shop inside the hanger as well. The hanger is also home to the childrens play/ educational area. Our 2 year old nephew loved this.
Next up was the WW2 hall. Again the hanger is full of aircraft and each display has loads of information to read. I was pleased to see a Bristol Blenheim there as this was what my grandad worked on during the war. Sadly he never got to see the one being restored at Duxford many years ago.
Well worth a day out for adults and children. There are so many aircraft on display and theres so much to do. Even if you arent into aircraft this is well worth a visit. We actually went back a couple of weeks later as we didnt get to see all of the museum. We will certainly be back again soon. Oh did I mention that the museum is FREE!!!! There is a very small charge for the car park (I think it was about £2)

Visited August 2013