“Wonderfully spent afternoon” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: If you're searching for something different why not take off to Colindale and navigate your way through the history of aviation from the earliest balloon flight to the latest Eurofighter? This world-class collection of over 100 aircraft, aviation and wartime memorabilia offers a fun day out for all the family. Don't forget to visit our awe inspiring sound and light show that takes you back in time to the Battle of Britain. Better yet admission to the museum is free of charge. The Museum is open daily from 10am to 6pm.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
Lisboa
“Wonderfully spent afternoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Featuring planes from the beginning of aviation to recent developments (even an F-35 was there), you will spend hours and hours reading through R.A.F. history, plane specs and, of course, enjoying the machines themselves. If you enjoy/love aviation, this is definitely a mandatory stop.

• Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
37 attraction reviews
“RAF is worth the long train ride out.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This day my wife went shopping and I went to the RAF museum on my own.
As a Canadian who's father served in the RCAF and as a result I've always been fascinated by aircraft it was well worth the trip.
Originally had the Imperial War Museum (IWM) been open, I would have probably just done the IWM and the Churchill war rooms. (so I'm glad IWM was closed. I'll visit it next time)

DO NOT OVERLOOK THIS AMAZING FACILITY.

Reflecting on my day upon leaving, I was happy to have seen several Spitfires in one location, but to my surprise I was actually just as impressed at all the German aircraft there as well. I had not thought I'd be impressed by this.
In Canada the air museums I've gone to have virtually none of these to see.

If you enjoy photographing aircraft, bring lots of battery back up for your cameras.
The toughest part was the Battle of Britain aircraft area which is rather dimly lit making it a bit of a challenge to photograph nicely. I wound up using my main camera, backup camera and my phone camera in this area to see what could pull in the best image in the lighting provided.
All I can say is, "take the trip!!" if you like aircraft.

Visited February 2013
Haddenham, United Kingdom
48 attraction reviews
“Outstanding Resource.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is my third visit in two years and each time that I visited I found there were more staff than visitors. This is a real shame. There is something for everyone here. Us oldies can revel in the nostalgia of seeing for real those wonderful aircraft we read about in adventure books and followed in the comics of our youth. There is a vast collection of very rare aircraft and associated memorabilia to keep everyone interested all day. The youngsters can see at first hand how modern aircraft evolved from the flimsy and dangerous prototypes piloted by very brave men and women. There is a cafeteria and ample parking. Do come.

Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
57 attraction reviews
“Good family day out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Well presented museum, family oriented, disabled friendly with plenty for family members of all ages to enjoy.

Visited July 2012
London, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
“For all Aviation Enthusiasts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Gets better every time we go. The renewal projects and attention to detail are unmatched. A bit far out of town.

Visited October 2012